BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2015 4:12 pm  #1541

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

OK, so I won´t do it in the future. I was only reacting on the post of another member anyway.

(P.S. It would be a big help if those unspoken rules would be listed somewhere. It is a stupid feeling that one makes some strange transgression every time one posts an opinion about something).

Last edited by nakahara (February 11, 2015 4:16 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 11, 2015 4:37 pm  #1542

We can discuss everything as long as it happens in a respectful and polite way. I do not see any breach of this in the current discussion. It happens to everyone that they like something which others dislike and the other way round. As long as we do not attack each other but discuss a fic in a matter of fact way I see no problem. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 11, 2015 4:42 pm  #1543

nakahara wrote:

(P.S. It would be a big help if those unspoken rules would be listed somewhere. It is a stupid feeling that one makes some strange transgression every time one posts an opinion about something).

If I got a pound every time I felt like that on this board, I would've been rich by now. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 11, 2015 4:53 pm  #1544

Mod's note: I have been on this board for nearly three years and we never needed those rules. I have no idea why suddenly people want to have rules. There has never been a rule - unspoken or otherwise - not to criticise a fic. It does not happen very often because most people probably decide for themselves if they want to read a recced fic or not. 

However, if someone really does not like or feels offended by the contents of a fic, they are free to say so. We do criticise the show and its characters, films, books, music, newspaper articles, whatever all the time.
For discussing general fanfic question we have the round table thread. But I repeat, if something is recommended in here and someone wishes to comment on it or another fic by the same author, either in a positive or critical way, they are free to do so.

I usually trust the members to stay polite and objective. For me this is a question of common sense for which we do not need any rules. 
If anyone feels there should be explicit rules, please ask the Boss. I really prefer it the way it has been for the last three years. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 11, 2015 4:56 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 11, 2015 5:36 pm  #1545

My thoughts exactly. Like you said, Susi, we discuss so many topics, topics concerning the show or just films, books, other tv shows... and we mention aspects we don't like all the time, I don't see the problem at all as long as people don't just say "It's stupid!" but explain why they feel the way they feel about something. And of course, in a respectful manner.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 11, 2015 5:38 pm  #1546

Respect is paramount. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 11, 2015 5:46 pm  #1547

And the lemon is in play.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 11, 2015 5:50 pm  #1548

SolarSystem wrote:

And the lemon is in play.

That's not a lemon Solar, I'm just happy to see you.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 11, 2015 6:04 pm  #1549

I'm just glad there's a warning for adult content coming with the thread title...

February 11, 2015 6:06 pm  #1550

I try to be good but I get bored. 

TOPIC!

There are many wonderful johnlock fan fictions out there.  Which ones do you like?  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 11, 2015 7:04 pm  #1551

SusiGo wrote:

We can discuss everything as long as it happens in a respectful and polite way. I do not see any breach of this in the current discussion. It happens to everyone that they like something which others dislike and the other way round. As long as we do not attack each other but discuss a fic in a matter of fact way I see no problem. 

I'm not sure why we're discussing any fics at such length on this thread. This is a johnlock fic rec thread, not a discussion thread--  don't we have one of those elsewhere?

February 11, 2015 7:09 pm  #1552

OK, I won´t touch this thread with a ten-foot pole from now on...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 11, 2015 7:16 pm  #1553

I think I have made myself clear. Do we really need rules for every eventuality? Not in my opinion. Please ask the boss. I am at my wit's end by now.

February 11, 2015 7:18 pm  #1554

Susi, would you like to run naked screaming through the forum?  That always helps me. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 11, 2015 7:24 pm  #1555

Brilliant idea. Please close your eyes or turn away, everyone. 

And may I please refer all members interested in discussing rules to this thread? 

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4706

February 11, 2015 7:37 pm  #1556

*closes eyes*
*counts to 3*
*peeks*
*giggles*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 11, 2015 7:53 pm  #1557

Can I just say why I've always liked this forum so much? Because this is not one of those forums where a mod comes jumping around the corner as soon as members write three off-topic posts in a row. I know such forums, they're what I call "übermoderiert" - over-moderated. Yes, everything goes by the book (and by the rules) there, but please don't ask me about the amount of fun you tend to have there, thank you very much.

February 11, 2015 7:54 pm  #1558

Fun is paramount.
Even more than lemons.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 12, 2015 7:31 am  #1559

Guys, discussion of fic is perfectly okay. It seems to me that Person A read X into a fic and Person B didn't agree with that interpretation. This has become an issue where there was none.

If I rec a fic and say "I like it because..." and someone else goes "Oh I read that and didn't like it because..." that's useful information for someone else to decide whether they want to read it.

Dubcon is often a subjective topic. If someone reads a fic and sees dubcon, that's useful information for someone who is sensitive to, or simply does not enjoy, dubcon in fic.

Please don't instruct each other what they can and cannot discuss in a thread. This thread is largely for recs, yes, but it's also for discussing those recs. That's why the Masterlists were created - so that you could easily find the recs without all the chatter in between.

I am with Susi and the other mods that this forum does not need rules. It simply needs participants to show maturity with each other.

This statement was inflammatory and unnecessary:

Well, I read it very differently. And as I mentioned, what you read into it was not the author's intent. 

I don't see why it's something to discuss or be upset about, to be honest. It's just a fic. If you don't like it, don't give it kudos and move on to some other fic instead. I've read many fics I don't like, even stopped in the middle of a few of them not even able to finish them. But I've not come here to the board to dis a fic just because I don't like it.

Here's why:
1) Sometimes people read things in fic that were not the author's intent. That does not in any way alter the way the reader perceived it. Communication is a living, two-way thing.
2) It's something to discuss or be upset about, if you are upset about it and wish to discuss it.
3) Expressing a negative opinion regarding your interpretation of a fic is not "dissing a fic". It is opening the discussion to further views.

A more appropriate response might have been:
"I didn't read that into the fic, and I don't think that's what the author intended. What I enjoyed about the fic was [this, this and this]. I guess if you don't enjoy that then this isn't the fic for you. Have you read this one [rec]?"

What makes this forum enjoyable for most is that we do have adult, mature discussions about things we care about but which we might have differing, or even opposing, views on. For those discussions to happen, though, we all need to be willing to accept the views of others that might be different from our own.

Last edited by Wholocked (February 12, 2015 8:07 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

February 12, 2015 7:33 am  #1560

PS I'm sorry! I will totally do the Masterlists er....soon™

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera