BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2015 8:39 pm  #1

Scientific works / analysis about fanfic and its readers

Just came to my mind...
I once read a thesis somewhere on the internet about the typical reader of fanfiction. It was well researched and I found it really interesting.

Do you know of more scientific works, like a thesis, essay, etc. that deal with fanfiction? Either with the way fanfic topics are chosen, the way shipping works, or something about the readers... etc? So basically deals with the phenomenon fanfiction in any aspect? (or also fanart)

Do you know of something? Have you read a good one?
This is for personal interest only, so I don't want to go and search libraries for it yet if maybe someone has a good recommendation ready here

"It is what it is."

February 6, 2015 10:49 am  #2

Re: Scientific works / analysis about fanfic and its readers

I thought some of the earliest fanfiction which predate the internet were the startrek ones in book form. Maybe there's an academic analysis of those kinds of paper form fanfic. Would be obscure though. Not sure how you would obtain something like that.

February 6, 2015 12:23 pm  #3

I'd check the tumbler of loudest subtext in television. I vaguely remember I found something like that there in the remarks/comments, about fanfic circles about 20-30 years ago.
Don't have a link, unfortunately, sorry.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 6, 2015 7:45 pm  #4

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera