BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2015 4:12 pm  #221

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

I am going to go see this film again tomorrow night... alone this time. I want to be able to focus completely on it (sadly my best friend has a habit of talking during films... )

Actually today I had a very distracting experience... I was having a talk with one of the secretary students at work about how to do things... and the the radio website on my computer came with an advert for this film... I went completely numb and blank... gosh she laughed at me!

I really hope to be able to come up with a better review of this film... because last time I was all emotions... this film hit me hard in a lot of way. This time I hope to be able to go into details and actually be able to see through the tears too. 

But I know this will be one of my favourite films Ben has ever been in. I hope it becomes available in some special edition DVD.... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 28, 2015 10:20 pm  #222

I just watched the German version with my husband and my 15-year-old son. Both were impressed, especially my husband. My son said the film was cool. 

The German dubbing is not bad, sometimes a bit awkward but not bad. And the actor who dubbed Benedict did a really good job and recreated the stammer quite well.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2015 4:51 pm  #223

My morning started in a crappy way because of a review in Danish Good Morning TV... 

They spent most of the time talking about what a beautiful man Ben is, the male host apparently has himself a man crush... the female film critic was all giggly and red faced... 

They gave the film 3 out of 6 stars... saying it was a shame it was such a boring story, that it couldn't decide between being a bio-pic, a spy drama, or a war film... 

"It's a film about Alan Turing, the genious... uh, not much else to be said here"

Excuse me?? 

What really got to me was that they all agreed it was a shame the character was too close to Sherlock. 
When I watched it, I was amazed how little of Sherlock I actually saw in Alan... 

Honestly it feels like they watched a completely different film. 

I was shivering with rage at the ending remark when the male host tried to get them to say something nice; reminding them of the 8 Oscar nominations "Oh, it's not going to win anything, hihihihihi"

I know I am a biased viewer and all, but honestly... 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (January 29, 2015 4:52 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 29, 2015 6:11 pm  #224

"They gave the film 3 out of 6 stars... saying it was a shame it was such a boring story, that it couldn't decide between being a bio-pic, a spy drama, or a war film..". 

It seems to me that TIG is all three.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 29, 2015 6:18 pm  #225

The most influential German film magazine "epd film", gave it 4/5 stars and praised it ("more than a biopic"), if that is of any comfort 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 29, 2015 6:51 pm  #226

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

What really got to me was that they all agreed it was a shame the character was too close to Sherlock. 
When I watched it, I was amazed how little of Sherlock I actually saw in Alan... 

Honestly it feels like they watched a completely different film. 

I don't really understand people seeing Benedict's Turing as being like his Sherlock.   They're just SO different.  I genuinely don't understand what they're seeing!  I mean, there are a couple of things in common - both highly intelligent, socially a bit out of the ordinary, etc., but they seem to be completely different characters.   When it comes out on DVD I'll watch it again and see if I can see what other people are seeing, but on one viewing, I just didn't get that at all.  So I know what you're saying about watching a completely different film. 

January 29, 2015 8:15 pm  #227

I know this is not a photo thread but I took this screenshot which IMO illustrates very well that Benedict as Turing is nothing like his other characters, least of all Sherlock:

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2015 8:59 pm  #228

Exactly!  HIs posture - everything.  And particularly seeing it on screen, the way he moves and talks.

January 29, 2015 9:32 pm  #229

Well, obviously most critics are dr Watsons: they watch, but not observe. They must have someone twisting his body into a cripple or screaming "feck" every two seconds and errr.... flying through the streets of Manhattan to consider it "performance".

February 1, 2015 10:09 am  #230

February 1, 2015 10:46 am  #231

I've never heard of this award before, but it's so good to see that Moore's work is acknowledged. I really think that his script deserves as many awards as possible for its structure as well as the sometimes absolutely brilliant dialogue.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 1, 2015 10:58 am  #232

I agree. I am very glad to see his work getting the recognition it deserves. 

February 1, 2015 11:11 am  #233

Excellent.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 1, 2015 1:09 pm  #234

Awesome news!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 2, 2015 8:27 am  #235

miriel68 wrote:

Well, obviously most critics are dr Watsons: they watch, but not observe. They must have someone twisting his body into a cripple or screaming "feck" every two seconds and errr.... flying through the streets of Manhattan to consider it "performance".

TeeHee.. my thoughts exactly. Or, to use Professor Snape´s words: "You don´t have subtlety, critics."..^^

Sure, if you disregard that they talk different, look different, carry themselves differently and only superficially share two (albeit quite prominent) character traits.. then it´s almost spooky how close Turing and Sherlock are..

Last edited by Zatoichi (February 2, 2015 10:58 am)

February 2, 2015 8:30 am  #236

Well said, Zatoichi. 

February 2, 2015 1:17 pm  #237

Maybe Ben should do a comedy next and play a dumb pretty boy. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 2, 2015 2:26 pm  #238

He did Pengwings of Madagascar between Aherlock and Turing, not to mention Smaug, and it didn't help.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 2, 2015 2:45 pm  #239

Yes, but those were mainly voice performances.  I think he needs to do a straight up wacky comedy.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 2, 2015 4:24 pm  #240

Well, he has said he's like to!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

Board footera