BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2015 11:15 am  #41

Re: SAG Awards 2014

Yes, I agree. But then his Hawking was physical as well - not as physical as Redmayne's but still - and yet he only got one award for it. Although I think that Colin Firth is a very good example of how a quiet, subtle part can be honoured and appreciated as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 28, 2015 11:31 am  #42

Then again, what might have happened if Colin had been nominated together with a physical performance like Eddie's...? I just had a look at the actors he was nominated with, and I think none of those roles were as obviously physical as Eddie's. James Franco's role in "127 Hours" was a bit physical, but not even close to Eddie's Hawking. Jeff Briges - no, Jesse Eisenberg - no.
And interesting: Take a look at the Supporting Actor category in the same year. Christian Bale won for "The Fighter" - he lost a lot of weight for that role, so: very physical, at least in the eyes of a lot of people. I don't know about John Hawkes, but the other three nominees (Mark Ruffalo, Jeremy Renner, Geoffrey Rush) had comparably non-physical roles to play.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 28, 2015 12:45 pm  #43

I also take comfort in the fact that I am certain this will not be Benedict's only Oscar nomination.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 29, 2015 9:26 am  #44

tonnaree wrote:

I also take comfort in the fact that I am certain this will not be Benedict's only Oscar nomination.

In fact, if I feel kind of sad just know, it is not so much for Benedict himself, but rather for the film, getting all these nominations and than going from the awards empty handed again and again. I didn't expect it to win "everything", but it doesn't deserved to be as completely snubbed as it has been so far.

January 29, 2015 9:48 am  #45

This morning there was a review in a morning show on German television about "Birdman". Could not have been a more enthusiastic one. "This film deserves all the Oscars it can get." And they mentioned how many awards the film has received so far, all in all it's over 150, if I remeber correctly. That's... impressive. The film seems to be everybody's darling. And I suppose it's not completely undeserved. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 29, 2015 9:48 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 29, 2015 10:25 am  #46

I know this is highly subjective and completely unfair but by now I really have lost all motivation to watch "Birdman". 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2015 11:07 am  #47

I can understand that. But I'm just too curious and will watch the film today. I really want to see for myself what all this enthusiasm is all about.
And apart form all the Oscar buzz, Edward Norton is in it, and I like him very, very much.

January 29, 2015 11:38 am  #48

Birdman is a very funny and well done film, I enjoyed it quite a lot. The direction is impressive and the all actors excellent. Keaton is excellent, as well, far more complex performance than Redmayne, for example. It is surely oscar-worthy performance, I have seen actors win for far less interesting ones.

That said, the film is not a masterpiece and doesn't quite manage to be a really great film, either, IMO. It could have been, but I had a distinct impression that it lost its way in the final act. It starts as a hilarious satire of actors' world, but then steers towards a not-so-funny and not-so-original psychodrama of aging actor (Keaton). So the focus shifts completely on him and other characters, such as Norton or Emma Stone's, who in the beginning seem to go somewhere, get abandonend and almost disappear, their subplots going nowhere.
Also, I did roll my eyes at the dialogue in some points, being fed with bits like "I wasn't a good father", "you are not a great actor, you are just a celebrity" etc. As often happens in American films (no offence to Americans present here) it is as if the director/writers didn't trust the audience to understand some elementary things about the characters, preffering to explain everything verbally as well as visually.

January 30, 2015 9:34 am  #49

After finally having seen "Birdman", I pretty much agree with everything you've said about it, miriel.
I found it to be quite entertaining, I loved Edward Norton and I think his Oscar nomination is deserved (by the way, my boyfriend said that he definitely would have nominated Alex Lawther for an Oscar because he totally blew his mind in TIG - and I definitely agree). I also liked Michael Keaton, although having seen him in those two Actor's Round Table discussions I can't help but feel that there were moments in the film when I saw Keaton shine through.
The film itself... nice to have seen it, but it's nothing that will stay with me for very long. I think there are some fundamental truths in it about theatre and film and probably art in general, how people approach it and how it can destroy or save you. But it just wasn't enough to really touch my heart.
And I have to admit that I'm wondering if the film would have gotten as much praise if a) it hadn't meant a comeback for Michael Keaton, and b) if it had been filmed in a more 'conventional' way.  

January 30, 2015 11:57 am  #50

Yes, I think the direction and the performances are the two strongest points about the movie. The idea of one-long-shoot direction is not new, of course, goes back as far as Hitchcock's Rope, but is still very effective, as were some visual effects.
In fact, the cleverness of direction in a sense hide the fact that the story itself is quite trivial and does not discover any truths which wouldn't be universally known (successfull actors dream about being "great" actors ?- sure; critics hate mass culture as opposed to great art? - sure; actors are vain and competitive? - who would guess! scandal and sensation get more attention that true art? - it's enough to see what happened to Benedict with c-gate to know it).
I also agree about Keaton: he is very good but he didn't blow me off. There are definitely some mannerisms in his performance that made me think "This is Keaton playing  his alter-ego). Norton was fantastic and I would root for him to get Oscar, if I only wouldn't be rooting for Simmons. I was disappointed that after an impressive presence in the first part of the film his character suddenly was almost no more there.

Board footera