BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2015 6:11 pm  #1

Posting awareness and etiquette...

Just a question about if there is a way to boost attention to a thread.  I don't know what is considered a proper way (if it is at all) to draw current attention if you think a thread has got "lost" and people just don't know it is there.

In some groups I belonged to it was allowed to "bump" a thread to bring it back to the attention of the other members.  Is that allowed here? 

The topic I am thinking of is my post on the "Interviews" thread in the General Benedict Appreciation section - which naturally gets swamped daily with tons of new posts in the gorgeous "Favourite Sherlock/Benedict Pictures" part (which I too love immensely). 

I posted a video with an interview of BC and I see other than one reply saying that it was interesting (and they would get around to viewing it soon) it has got no other responses.  Now I think it is kind of buried, and will just go by the wayside.  Please be assured that I'm not asking this question out of vanity - all I really want is for others on this board to get a chance to listen to this wonderful interview. 

Should I post it in another area so it gets more exposure?  Should I "bump" it to get it back to the front of the line for a little while?  Or just accept the fact that it isn't generating enough interest to get noticed and forget about it? 

I would really appreciate some guidence on this from some of the more experienced board members and/or mods/administrator who have been on this board a lot longer and know what is appropriate for this board.  And I certainly want to abide with the etiquette rules (if there are any) on "bumping" and do the right thing here.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this puzzling aspect to posting.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 29, 2015 6:13 pm  #2

Re: Posting awareness and etiquette...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 29, 2015 6:29 pm  #3

Thanks.  I read through the discussion and I think that helped.  I did do a search before I posted and put it in the interview thread where it obviously belongs - so I got that part correct.

I guess I will just have to accept that there isn't a lot of interest in it for now... and maybe someday some members will find it again in amongst the older threads.

Good to know the procedure - every day is a learning experience!

Thanks again for your help.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 29, 2015 7:30 pm  #4

Throwing in two cents--I didn't even realize there was an interview thread in the General Benedict Appreciation thread, I always look for them in the Press thread (since interviews are press). Bit confusing!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 29, 2015 7:45 pm  #5

Aw…  it's okay, know what you mean!  Have had that happen too, even though I always view this site from the 'active threads' link rather than going down the main page, and sometimes either don't know what to say at the moment, or if it's a video, sometimes time or being hard-of-hearing with keeping up with interviews comes into play (that's why I really appreciate the run-downs you gave a couple times with links )   I wouldn't be too worried about bumping it a little bit later with a 'hey, what did you think?'

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 29, 2015 10:19 pm  #6

Thanks Russell (and REReader as well) for your interest (PS REReader - I copied the article that had the bad link in the post, for you in the thread so you can read it now).  I will give it a bit of time and then maybe bump it to see if there are others who might enjoy it.  

I would gladly transcribe the entire interview but he does have a tendancy to talk A LOT and it would take me a reeeeallly long time to do it.  LOL! 

Maybe I'll do it when hockey season is over!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 29, 2015 10:42 pm  #7

Thank you!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 30, 2015 5:58 am  #8

Ah-chie wrote:

I would gladly transcribe the entire interview but he does have a tendancy to talk A LOT and it would take me a reeeeallly long time to do it.  LOL! 

Ahh, no kidding!!    Heh, and you don't have to do that!  I was just chiming in a couple factors why I don't always watch the long interviews posted on here (hard to keep up with him), as well as typical reasons for not replying, of time or lack of thoughts to add, or letting other people comment instead.  And just chiming in that appreciated the highlights run-down you did do a couple times.

There's just so much to keep up with, and have this forum to thank for knowing about much of it… especially when it comes to media appearances, which often blur together to bother watching all of them, except with long, really nice in-depth stuff like the one you posted (and neat article too)… will try to get to!  Nothing wrong with returning to a thread after a pause, though.  Sometimes I even wonder if the way you browse factors in… I mean, I wonder what the average split is of those who check threads by going down the main page and clicking the sections with new posts, and clicking the threads they want to read (and I can definitely see missing a thread here or there), or those like me, who just click the 'show recent active topics' and frequently refresh that, and noticed once in a while, depending on when last refreshed, it might think I've already seen something.  Just a thought… so don't worry about bumping it again.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera