BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2015 10:25 am  #101

Re: Jeremy Brett Picture Thread

If they are best friends or buddies then, yes, quite normal. Well, amongst the guys I know anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 26, 2015 10:40 am  #102

Lucky Britain then.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 26, 2015 1:45 pm  #103

Hmmm, I feel the great parallel with one character from BBC Sherlock here:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 26, 2015 2:46 pm  #104

Granada Lestrade:

January 26, 2015 3:03 pm  #105

Wow, Sherlock - always so charming towards Mrs. Hudson:

January 27, 2015 2:59 am  #106

Thanks for posting these Nakahara, I especially like the “Mrs. Hudson, you’re hideously in the way” picture. Since we have now learned that the 2015 Sherlock special is going to involve a fantasy/flashback with Sherlock and John in the Victorian era, there is possibility that we might see some nods or homage to the Granada series by Steven and Mark.

Mark Gatiss on Jeremy Brett

“Basil Rathbone was my first and I love those films the most and I love the Jeremy Brett series and lots of other versions. Particularly, the Billy Wilder film, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. But, the great thing is there are so many, you can have loads of favourites. I was watching one of the Jeremy Brett's the other day and it was Solitary Cyclist, which is a lovely story. There is a wonderful bit in the pub where he has a fist fight and looks so fantastic, so lean and he is in his waistcoat doing all that and he is wonderful.”

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/others/Steven-Moffat-is-like-my-other-wife/articleshow/45580448.cms

Steven Moffat on Jeremy Brett

“When asked, Steven immediately called him a brilliant and astonishing Sherlock Holmes. He noted that since Rathbone, nothing genuinely new had been done in the portrayal of the character, and Brett brought a new spin on it with his radical reinterpretation, with Steven saying that his portrayal was manic and somewhat psychotic.”

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2012/11/13/the-game-is-on-report-13112012

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 27, 2015 3:09 am)

January 27, 2015 4:15 am  #107

Here is an intense part from the feature film, The Master Blackmailer, where Holmes and Watson come face to face with Charles Augustus Milverton for the first time. Robert Hardy was brilliant as Milverton just as Lars Mikkelson was Magnussen. C.A.M. was a truly dastardly human being.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 27, 2015 2:31 pm)

January 27, 2015 4:21 am  #108

Another memorable scene from The Master Blackmailer. Just as Sherlock had to have a fake romance with Janine to get into Magnussen’s office. Here Sherlock Holmes (disguised as Plumber) seduces Milverton’s housemaid, Agatha (Sophie Thompson) in order to gain information.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 27, 2015 2:33 pm)

January 27, 2015 12:52 pm  #109

Wow, this is the episode I have not seen yet - it´s superb to see this case in its "canonical" form. It makes powerful parallels with BBC version while being delightful on its own.

January 27, 2015 1:32 pm  #110

I hope you do see it, it's certainly one of my favorites

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 27, 2015 1:32 pm)

January 27, 2015 1:35 pm  #111

I certainly plan to - I am curious how they filmed this adaptation of my favourite ACD short story. And this being a precedessor to HLV raises my curiousity by spades.

January 27, 2015 2:03 pm  #112

Just another morning at 221B Baker Street:

January 27, 2015 2:06 pm  #113

And after waking up, there´s no bigger pleasure than to ogle Watson in his sleep:

Last edited by nakahara (January 27, 2015 2:06 pm)

January 27, 2015 2:22 pm  #114

Here is Holmes coming face to face with Professor Moriarty. Steven Moffat says that Eric Porter’s Moriarty was “the closest thing you can imagine to a serpent in a frocked coat. Even Brett looked scared.”

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2010/aug/06/steven-moffat-moriarty-sherlock

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 27, 2015 2:29 pm)

January 27, 2015 2:41 pm  #115

I saw Eric Porter in a similarily scary role in Agatha Christie´s "Why didn´t they ask Evans?". He really could successfully pull those malevolent types.

January 27, 2015 2:46 pm  #116

Definitely!

January 27, 2015 2:46 pm  #117

Here is the delightful final scene from The Second Stain, I just love seeing Jeremy when he lights up that cigarette and when he does that jump at the end!

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 27, 2015 4:36 pm)

January 27, 2015 7:23 pm  #118

Love it how he persuades them that the loss of a letter happened only in their heads. 

January 28, 2015 1:18 am  #119

I also love this scene from The Second Stain too. Particularly the snicker Brett gives at the end!

Last edited by BrettHolmes (January 28, 2015 1:19 am)

January 29, 2015 11:01 am  #120

Robert Hardy and Eric Porter, both such great actors. Plus Robert is a renowned expert on archery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera