BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2015 9:08 pm  #1

Mistakes & potholes in Doyle's stories ?

I've just read "The five orange pips" and was astonished to find a little but basic mistake: Mary, Watson's wife, is supposed to be visiting her mother ... who died when Mary was a child, according to "The sign of the four".
Both stories were published the same year, probably written the same year. But Doyle had forgotten this detail about Mrs Watson's mother.

Did you find other mistakes?
Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

January 19, 2015 12:54 pm  #2

Re: Mistakes & potholes in Doyle's stories ?

There were many of them, because Arthur Conan Doyle had trouble remembering small details of his short stories. Some of these mistakes are notorious:

John is shot into his arm in Afghanistan in "Study in Scarlett", then complains about his aching leg which is supposed to be the same injury in "Sign of Four".

Mrs. Hudson turns Mrs. Turner in "Scandal in Bohemia"

John Watson is suddenly James in "The Man with a Twisted Lip"

All three Moriarty brothers likewise share the first name James.

And there were many, many more.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 19, 2015 8:37 pm  #3

Thanks Nakahara!

I will read again some stories, I hadn't noticed "Mrs Turner" for example.
Watson made three funny lists about Sherlock's skills (or lack of). Sherlock made files and notes about people.
Maybe I should begin a list of Doyle's missed details .

January 21, 2015 4:39 pm  #4

I love how the show references some of these mistakes ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 23, 2015 3:45 pm  #5

Hi Kittycat. I probably missed theses references, but at least, now, I understand Watson's psychosomatic aching LEG.

Board footera