BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2015 11:53 pm  #1

Ben helps out Laura Dern

Apparently BC was very mannered and helpful to Laura Dern according to this published story...

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertainment/benedict-cumberbatch-to-the-rescue-how-sherlock-saved-the-2014-oscars-for-laura-dern/story-e6frfmq9-1227188058688

Here it is in long form (in case the link doesn't work) -

LAURA Dern counts the 2014 Oscars among the greatest experiences of her life.

It wasn’t Dern’s career being celebrated — her Best Actress nomination came in 1992 for Rambling Rose and she has just been nominated for Best Supporting Actress — but that of her father, Bruce.

Bruce had pulled off one of Hollywood’s most remarkable career revivals by being nominated, aged 77, for Best Actor for his film Nebraska.His daughter was his date for the big night.“It was beautiful, oh my God!” Dern exclaims, lighting up at the memory.

“I’m like, ‘It’s the middle of the Academy Awards! You can’t leave!’ He goes, ‘You can do it, just leave and go get a Coke’. ‘I’m not leaving dad.’

“Benedict Cumberbatch happened to be sitting next to me — I don’t know him at all — and he was like (adopts super-polite English accent), ‘Oh does your father need a Coke? I’ll get him a Coke ...’“So Benedict Cumberbatch went and got him a Coca-Cola, which I thought was so adorable. That Sherlock!”

He is so adorable and so well raised.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 18, 2015 1:57 am  #2

Re: Ben helps out Laura Dern

Awww.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 18, 2015 6:05 am  #3

That's our sweet fella.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2015 7:18 am  #4

I read about this on Facebook on the train yesterday, I just couldn't hold back my 'Aaawh'.

What a gentleman!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 18, 2015 8:04 am  #5

Aww, that's lovely!

January 18, 2015 8:41 am  #6

These is one of these little anecdoted which are so cute because they confirm Benedict's charming and polite character is not just an image he is projecting for PR reasons, but at least in part his "real" self.

January 18, 2015 8:50 am  #7

Always the English gentleman. No wonder we love him. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 18, 2015 8:55 am  #8

Such a sweetheart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2015 10:06 am  #9

(I saw Bruce Dern in Big Love, what a marvellous baddie! Glad he got the coke  )

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 18, 2015 10:33 am  #10

English gentlemen are something of a dying breed here. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 18, 2015 5:57 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

English gentlemen are something of a dying breed here.

Absolutely, Hiddlebum is another one of this breed. The worst thing is you get such high expectations on the men you met.  

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 18, 2015 9:09 pm  #12

Lovely little story. A real gentleman. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera