BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2015 7:30 pm  #281

Re: The Hobbit

To be fair, I do think there were some things going against the Hobbit.   For me, LOTR worked brilliantly on film, and I suppose having Peter Jackson, making it a trilogy, etc. was a way of making the Hobbit the same thing.   But the book isn't the SAME as LOTR.  It's just a little book, and it's a children's book.  It has a completely different feel.    It's more playful in nature, and I think there are things that really flag up that it's a fantasy world (the references to the "real" world in particular), whereas LOTR seems more like a completely created "real" world of its own.  I don't mean that it's better (I loved The Hobbit and didn't finish LOTR), just different.   And I think the trilogy tried to bring the two together in a way that maybe didn't quite work.  Maybe Peter Jackson was stuck with being tasked to make a LOTR copy with a book that didn't fit the bill. 

January 16, 2015 8:24 pm  #282

besleybean wrote:

And very unseeemly to do so...

Unseemly to do what? To criticise the film(s)? Sorry, but that happens when you make a film / write a book / compose music. People will talk about it and make up their minds about it, and it's only natural that some people won't like it. And everyone's allowed to state their opinion.

kittykat wrote:

All I can say is that I have read many great reviews, so they did something right. Most people seem pretty happy. I've seen a few whiners, mostly on Facebook. Throwing tantrums because they didn't get everything they wanted. Not much point complaining now...

They certainly did something right, no doubt about it. But we've had this very 'discussion' one year ago, so it's probably no use to start all over again. And of course, people who don't like it are 'throwing tantrums' - which obviously means that they are wrong and everyone who is a huge fan and likes everything about it is right.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2015 8:28 pm  #283

Sorry, did I misunderstand?
I thought celebs had been moaning  about their lack of nominations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2015 8:37 pm  #284

I haven't heard anyone moaning about their lack of nominations, actually. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 8:53 pm  #285

I thought this was about fans moaning about the fact that The Hobbit didn't give them everything they expected.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2015 8:58 pm  #286

Which is what I had misinderstood.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2015 9:30 pm  #287

I'm pretty darn happy with the film  You're right, Liberty: perhaps some people expected it to be just like LOTR, which was always going to be impossible. Like you said, it's completely different.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 16, 2015 9:54 pm  #288

Yes, and even though I think it was maybe a mistake to tie it so closely to the LOTR films, while I was watching it I found myself loving the tie-ins, particularly seeing the same actors.  

January 16, 2015 10:18 pm  #289

Yep. Iliked this, too.

January 16, 2015 10:34 pm  #290

Oh, it awesome to see some familiar faces! I still grin when I see Frodo at the beginning of the prologue ^^ Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I love seeing them 

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 17, 2015 9:41 am  #291

I'm looking forward to getting the inevitable boxed set of extended editions .... then one Christmas I'd like to watch the whole thing through in order!    It would be great to go straight from the final scenes of Five Armies to the start of The Fellowship!

It's now a while since I've seen the film, but bits of it are sticking with me.  I think Thorin's descent into greed and paranoia was outstanding, and I loved the imagery of him drowning in gold.   Did the gold magically cause his sickness, or was it a (hereditary?) weakness in Thorin himself?  I watched it with the first in mind, and now I'd like to watch it again from the second point of view. 

January 17, 2015 10:13 am  #292

I think it was both. Greed is an inherit weakness in dwarves in general (and the Rings enhance that weakness). But the gold was also influenced and cursed by the long presense of Smaug. So I interpret it, it was the combination of the two that caused his illness.

And, yes, I LOVED the tie-in with Fellowship, and can't wait to see them in order! It puts so much history and context into Bilbo in LotR, I love it!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 17, 2015 10:13 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2015 12:30 pm  #293

I feel like throwing a big tantrum now because the Hobbit wasn't what I expected
- no, wait, unfortunately it was quite what I had expected - or feared ... 

TANTRUM! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 17, 2015 12:59 pm  #294

Vhanja wrote:

I think it was both. Greed is an inherit weakness in dwarves in general (and the Rings enhance that weakness). But the gold was also influenced and cursed by the long presense of Smaug. So I interpret it, it was the combination of the two that caused his illness.

And, yes, I LOVED the tie-in with Fellowship, and can't wait to see them in order! It puts so much history and context into Bilbo in LotR, I love it!

Oh, I agree! It puts the whole thing in a different light. When Bilbo says to Frodo in Rivendell, "I'm sorry for everything." It might not just be Frodo that he's apologising to 

Also, when Gandalf mentions that Thorin gave the mithril shirt to Bilbo, and when they find Balin's tomb and Ori's skeleton...that hurts like a bitch now 

January 17, 2015 1:01 pm  #295

Liberty wrote:

I'm looking forward to getting the inevitable boxed set of extended editions .... then one Christmas I'd like to watch the whole thing through in order!    It would be great to go straight from the final scenes of Five Armies to the start of The Fellowship!

It's now a while since I've seen the film, but bits of it are sticking with me.  I think Thorin's descent into greed and paranoia was outstanding, and I loved the imagery of him drowning in gold.   Did the gold magically cause his sickness, or was it a (hereditary?) weakness in Thorin himself?  I watched it with the first in mind, and now I'd like to watch it again from the second point of view. 

I've seen some people talk about doing a marathon of all six movies in one go. If we're talking extended editions, they've worked out that it's about 21 hours or something. Sounds exhausting but fun!

Board footera