BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2015 1:24 am  #21

Re: Sherlock episodes ranked from worst to best

Zatoichi wrote:

...while I can see why people enjoy it for me it feels too much of a coming-of-age story to delight in it. I know many fans think such a transition was needed and adds to his character.. I tend to disagree, but anyway. It actually felt a lot like adolescence -

That's a good comparison.
I think Sherlock's best characterization was in ASIP. After that, I never could quite pin him down on anything.
I just think, the thing about changing and growing is that some things change, and some stay. The recognizable parts need to stay.
In series three I sometimes felt like Sherlock had hints of a new character not a developing one. Or at least bordering on it. Like reinventing himself, rather playing something he isn't comfortable *being*. Like trying out the grounds.

If cases aren't necessary anymore, if Sherlock stops craving them as badly as he did before... what with children and wives and all the happy friends around... who is he? In series one, he defined himself by being detective, before being anything else. The show cannot take that away from him, sure? I thought it's who he is, the craving for cases. I find it hard to change my perception of him, and in series three I often feel challenged to do that.

I wonder what the show wants to show us. I think they show a changing Sherlock, who is becoming a bit more like "ordinary" people. But I don't want strange people to grow into ordinary. I want them to be at ease in their strangeness, to be just themselves.
I hope in series four Sherlock will not be even more emotionally challenged, but I want to see some of this easiness and not-a-care-in-the-world attitude again - his absolute joy with a complicated riddle. He feels so subdued to me, in series three.
I want to see the Sherlock we saw in ASIP again - laughing in Bakerstreet with John, after that ridiculous chase. He didn't feel underdeveloped to me there, but very much at ease with what he is and what he does.
And I think, if he becomes closer to that caring lark, he won't be able to do his job anymore. Because it was the way he was, that made him able to do what he did.

I think Sherlock isn't really himself yet (anymore?) in series three, and I miss him.
Zatoichi, I think "mourning" describes it very well... I'll join you in that.

Last edited by Whisky (January 14, 2015 1:33 am)

"It is what it is."

January 14, 2015 5:35 am  #22

The danger with focusing on character delevolepment on TV is always that there is a chance that the audience does not agree with the way you change the character.

For me, there is nothing in S3 Sherlock that I haven't seen before, so I am perfectly comfortable with it. Besides, there is still a huge amount of "strangeness" left in S3. Take the napkin folding, threatening David, pretending to be blown away to force John to apologise, faking a relationship to get to Magnussen, ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 14, 2015 7:26 am  #23

I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone craved the characters to remain static. S3 was not really about cases, E1 was about reunion and the introduction of Mary, E2 was about the wedding, E3 was mainly a personal desaster. And there is a difference between developing a character or changing him altogether. Change for the sake of change does not always work. And about developing the friendship, I think they very much did in S1&2 already. As Susi said, very nicely accompanied by the supporting cast.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 14, 2015 7:29 am  #24

I am in the minority of thinking S3 was the best ever...mainly because of the Cliffhanger.
I just can't wait to see the Moriarty twist and what happens with Mary and baby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2015 7:31 am  #25

Whisky wrote:

I wonder what the show wants to show us. I think they show a changing Sherlock, who is becoming a bit more like "ordinary" people. But I don't want strange people to grow into ordinary. I want them to be at ease in their strangeness, to be just themselves.

THANK YOU, Whisky, just this. Strange people at ease with themselves or even *gasp* being proud of what they are, being awesome in all their differences from mainstream, liked and respected in spite of their flaws by some important people and not giving a damn about the others.. what a delight to watch. Sigh, maybe you just can´t do it with such a popular show anymore..?

@Schmiezi: I agree, you just can´t please everyone. 

I could write an essay about how in my eyes the "strangeness" depicted in S3 differs from the one depicted in S1/2, but I feel I´ve done my share of moping about S3 for a while.. 

Last edited by Zatoichi (January 14, 2015 7:32 am)

January 14, 2015 10:02 am  #26

No, I love S3 too. I love it for the focus of emotional development, just as I love S1 and S2 for (mainly) focusing on cases and the developing relationship between Sherlock and John.

I certainly don't want Sherlock becoming a cuddly godfather who doesn't care about cases anymore, and that will never happen. Never. Sherlock will always be Sherlock, but there is room for him to develop and grow, something I think is great. 

I don't want every episode in the future to be a mushy TSoT, not at all. That would ruin the show. I love (almost) each and every episode in all seasons for what it is, and I don't want to change a thing. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 10:44 am  #27

Yeah, I'm unable to give one season or one episode that is my favorite. All seasons have episodes that stands out to me, and all seasons have scenes and moments that are my favorites. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 11:22 am  #28

That´s precisely why I´m not voting in another thread. I have favourite scenes in every single episode and can´t pick the favourite.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 14, 2015 11:25 am  #29

nakahara wrote:

That´s precisely why I´m not voting in another thread. I have favourite scenes in every single episode and can´t pick the favourite.

I know. As soon as TBB and THoB was gone, it is more or less impossible for me to vote. I love to bits all the other episodes (even including THoB too, I just find it a tad, but not much, weaker than the others). It's impossible for me to rate the rest, they are in my mind equally good for their own reasons.

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 4:06 pm  #30

I try to vote exactly for that reason - because I feel I cannot choose. I know my favourite scenes aren't in my "favourite" episode. Yet, I would like to know what I would chose if forced to do so ;-) A proper challenge.

The quiz is fun, because it's different. It forces me to take points from episodes I love to pieces, and makes me ask myself: so why would I take a point from this and not the other? Makes me focus on what exactly I like about the episodes, makes me realise my criteria for judging the episodes, and that makes me get to know the episodes even better - and on the way I do get to know myself better which is also fun. Because I don't think anybody can judge TV in any way but subjective - we are all biased and certain ideas and dialogues will only appeal to certain people. And if I'd say oh god I cannot choose (which is true) I won't get there, and I personally want to :-) I believe choosing is a matter of looking into detail until a choice can be made.

What I would like to know though, would be the reasons behind the votings of others... that would make it even better. I know why many don't favour TBB so much because it was discussed in another thread. I am not so sure why THOB isn't that favourite, and I'm also not sure right now why TSOT vanished before TGG. I've already found out that I cannot choose between TGG and TSOT, and only that made me realise how much I came to like TSOT :-)
I also think the quiz only works for finding out a fav. It would have to be played the other way round too to find a least-favourite.

Equally good for their own reasons, yes, that's true nevertheless, I won't argue with that :-)

I think series three might totally change places in the rankings when series four starts. Because now we have series 1+2 that kind of stand together, and series 3 on its own. If series 4 followed up (in style) to series 3, probably all rankings would change again.

Last edited by Whisky (January 14, 2015 4:18 pm)

"It is what it is."

January 14, 2015 4:14 pm  #31

Good points, Whisky.

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 5:23 pm  #32

Erm, well I change my rankings every time there's a new series anyway!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2015 7:06 pm  #33

Sounds a bit as if that happens every second month or so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 14, 2015 7:17 pm  #34

We wish!

January 14, 2015 7:46 pm  #35

But that was exactly what Mark wanted to do...work wirh real psychological fear. not a cheap sci fi stunt!
Anyhow, Blind banker is my least favourite, though I still like it.
It's always been last on my list so far

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2015 7:47 pm)

January 14, 2015 7:52 pm  #36

besleybean wrote:

But that was exactly what Mark wanted to do...work wirh real psychological fear. not a cheap sci fi stunt!
Anyhow, Blind banker is my least favourite, though I still like it.
It's always been last on my list so far

For me, TBB is also the least favourite episode. But as hubby always says, "Even the worst episode of Sherlock is still better than the best episode of Xena."
(Well, he says "Star Trek" instead of "Sherlock", but the principle also applies to Sherlock.)

January 14, 2015 7:58 pm  #37

I will agree, even though I've never seen Xena...oh actually I have seen the odd one.
But Sherlock is better than anything.

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2015 7:59 pm)

January 14, 2015 8:02 pm  #38

besleybean wrote:

But Sherlock is better than anything.

QFT!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 15, 2015 4:15 pm  #39

To me, there is no doubt that TBB is the worst episode of them all. Whenever I do a rewatch of the show, that is the only episode I'm not looking forward to see again, and I am close to just skipping it all together.

Nothing on Ben or Martin, they deliver great performances as always. But I find the writing poor, with too many unexplained coincidences to bring the plot forward that makes no sense. Not to mention horrible bad guys. I personally love Chinese history and culture, always have. And to see them portrayed as the old-fashioned stereotyped "yellow mafia" just makes me squirm in my chair, it's horrible! 

I wasn't surprised at all when I learned it's not written by Moftiss.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 15, 2015 4:15 pm)

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 5:22 pm  #40

Tho Steve Thomson totally redeemed himself with Reichenbach and I also liked his writing of the stag night!

Board footera