BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2013 3:05 pm  #1

Broadchurch (Spoilers!)

So, is anyone else absolutely in love with this series, too?  I found myself crying several times, and even laughing a few times.  I'm hoping the next series has DI Hardy and DS Miller, because I really want to know how they deal with the aftermath of the case.  Honestly, I think this is the most impressed with Tennant that I have ever been.  I was thoroughly in awe of his characterization of Hardy, how he managed to give so many layers to a man that seems so straightfoward on the surface.  And just wow, Olivia Colman.  Best performance by her in anything I've seen, period.  I want so much to know more about these characters, so I hope the second series features them just as much as the first.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 30, 2013 11:24 am  #2

Re: Broadchurch (Spoilers!)

I really enjoyed this series and I was so happy when I first saw your signature - since the show is not that popular it is always nice to see other people like it as well. 

Even though I really enjoyed the show in general I am still not sure what to think of the finale. There were some things that I liked about it but others that just seemed a bit off to me. Like the fact that so many things were left unresolved. It was a bit like they were trying to put as many things in the show as possible to build up tension and then just leave it there and never explain those things.
What I really liked was the whole 'You can never know what goes on inside someone's heart'-thing. Because it's true. It is not just black and white, seemingly 'good' people are capable of doing to most horrible things and destroy their own life and the lives of others in the blink of an eye. And sometimes there are no answers. It's not as simple as 'Here is the killer, here is the motive, end of story'. Human beings are just so much more complex and if something like that happens to you you will never be able to stop wondering if you ever really knew that person and if things could have gone differently and how someone you trusted could be capable of doing this. And you will never get an answer to that.

David Tennant was really great in this, and so was Olivia Coleman. I didn't know her before and she really blew my mind. I was impressed with David too, this role was so different from his usual quirky and cheery personality and he just did a really good job.
It was amazing to see how the relationship between Ellie and Hardy developed, how these people who didn't want to work with each other in the first place and who seemed so different slowly got closer. I nearly cried when Hardy called her 'Ellie' for the first time because in the context of the events this was the most painful and frightening thing he could say and you could hear the fear in Ellie's voice because she understood the meanig of this.
Loved the 'Former Detectives Club'.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

July 30, 2013 1:05 pm  #3

I think so much was left unresolved because they are doing another series, apparently one that will focus on the aftermath of the case.  I hope we find out what happens to Hardy and Miller (they'd better not kill him off).  I've been telling everyone I know to watch it when it premieres in the US ;)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 30, 2013 3:20 pm  #4

shouldbestudying wrote:

I loved this show, every week I thought the murderer was someone different. I hope they do another series but there would have to be another murder or else it might be a bit slow

They have said that there wouldn't be another murder for series 2...but I think they have a lot of material to work with.  Hardy's life, DS Miller's life, various people in Broadchurch, a potential trial.  I would love to see all of that.

July 30, 2013 3:29 pm  #5

shouldbestudying wrote:

like a load of back stories?

I don't think it's a prequel, but it would be wonderful to see how it progresses with each characters' storyline.  I wonder if Hardy will stay estranged from his daughter, and if he'll get the surgery for his heart.  I also want to know how the Millers deal with their newfound infamy, and if she finds another job as a Detective...or if she's completely jaded by the experience.  I would also like to know if the Latimers keep the baby, and if they can move on concerning Danny's death.

January 6, 2015 12:18 pm  #6

So wow, we actually have a thread already...! Did anyone else see the first episode of S2 yesterday? Because wow, just wow.
I discovered "Broadchurch" only recently and was totally blown away, I think the writing, the actors, the directing, the atmosphere, everything is just brilliant. And I had no idea what they would come up with for S2, but it seems they are continuing just as brilliantly.

I think it's pretty ingenious not to have another case and another murder (at least not for now), but to continue where they left off. When Joe said "Not guilty" I almost fell off the sofa... how dare he??!! And then the scene in the bathroom with Alec and Ellie... wow, just wow, this definitely is one of my favourite Broadchurch scenes ever. It's heartbreaking how Alec wants to be there for her and comfort her, but fails spectacularly. Or let's better say: how Ellie won't have none of it. Heartbreaking also because Alec probably is the only person who can remotely understand what she's going through, but she just turns him away. God, how I would have loved to see a hug there...!
I can't wait for the next episode... tough times for Ellie, it'll probably get a lot worse before it gets better... 
And hell, I'm so in love with David Tennant in that role... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 6, 2015 12:31 pm  #7

I missed it first time around so need to catch up. The American version with David Tennant reprising his role has been cancelled after the first season.

I will be watching the new series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 6, 2015 12:41 pm  #8

I haven't seen "Gracepoint" yet, but I heard and read that it wasn't quite as gripping as "Broadchurch". It seems that the chemistry between Tennant and Anna Gunn didn't work quite as good as between him and Olivia Colman. And I absolutely adore Olivia as Ellie...

But Davina, you absolutely need to see S1 before you watch S2, otherwise you'll know how S1 ends - and that's more than just a bit not good.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 6, 2015 12:42 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 6, 2015 1:58 pm  #9

Thanks to Solar I got hooked on Broadchurch as well. I was really surprised how this show caught me. And I can't wait for the next episode. Yeah, Davina, Solar is absolutely right. Don't start with S2 before you had watched the first series

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 6:34 am  #10

You're welcome by the way, gently.
It's totally beyond me that this show has been totally ignored by German television so far. Probably has to do with the fact that it's not a BBC production. In my opinion it plays in the same league with "Sherlock", although the shows are not really comparable. I sincerely hope that they will broadcast this here eventually, or I will go:

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 7, 2015 6:36 am)

January 7, 2015 9:28 am  #11

The atmosphere in this show is amazing. I love it to watch something which catchs me that much that I don't want to miss a single minute. The only show that did that before was Sherlock.
As Solar mentioned somewhere else before it's an ensemble thing. All characters fit in perfectly. And the detective team has a brilliant chemistry though they are absolutely different and anything than harmonic.
Right ... not to mention the actor in the role of DI Alec Hardy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 10:07 am  #12

gently69 wrote:

Right ... not to mention the actor in the role of DI Alec Hardy.

Oh, why not? Mention him! Please mention him!!!
It's true, this show keeps me at the edge of my seat. And on a second, third and fourth viewing you discover so many little details (just like in "Sherlock"), it never gets boring. 
As for the two detectives, Alec and Ellie, yes, what an unusual couple, what an unusual chemistry. It's almost like an anti-chemistry which is even more of a chemistry than your usual pairings have on tv.

It's great how they seem to be on the same level in S2, in terms of emotions at least. Ellie obviously has changed, and I seem to detect a bit of Alec's crabbiness in her now. With Sandbrook his world fell apart (and I tend to believe that he hasn't always been the grumpy cat he is in S1), and now Ellie's world has fallen apart. I can't wait to see the effects this will have on her in the upcoming episodes. And on him. Her being through all of this now seems to bring out a different side of him, as well... And he really reminded me of Sherlock in that bathroom scene when he offers her a hug. "People do that." Yeah, right, Alec, but you aren't 'people'. 
And I would love them to have a good cry together, but okay, that's me being a bit of a shipper, I suppose...  

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 7, 2015 10:08 am)

January 7, 2015 10:27 am  #13

I definitely need to watch S1 several times more. Had it just once so far.

And I agree with absolutely everything you wrote in the spoiler tag.

(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 10:32 am  #14

And you also wanna see them hug...? 

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 7, 2015 10:32 am)

January 7, 2015 10:42 am  #15

That is included in my agreement.

Last edited by gently69 (January 7, 2015 10:43 am)

(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 10:46 am  #16

Aren't we shallow...? 

January 7, 2015 10:46 am  #17

Never, dear...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 7, 2015 11:17 am  #18

You are too kind. 

January 7, 2015 11:24 am  #19

SolarSystem wrote:

Aren't we shallow...? 

What let you think that???

(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 12:08 pm  #20

Um ... I have to add that I don't ship Ellie and Alec like I ship Sherlock and John. Not yet. A hug and a cry would be enough for me. Now.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera