BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2012 8:37 am  #141

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

I'd love to think John has any hope left but I believe him to know in his heart Sherlock could have not survived that fall - thus the grieving including denial stage.

July 21, 2012 1:33 pm  #142

sherlockskitty wrote:

oh fiddlesticks.  I  just read the transcript of TRF  for the umpteenth time.   Remember John's line,  "don't be dead, Sherlock, please?"  ??   OK.  That makes me think that John actually KNOWS  that Sherlock isn't dead.  He's just...acting the part of a grieving friend. Plus--the more I watch this episode,  the more I see it.  John walked away from the grave,  and his head sort of turned in the direction where S was standing. That's what I think.

Interesting. I've never heard anyone say they actually thought John was just acting a part at the graveside, that he knows Sherlock is alive and is just holding up his end of the partnership for appearances sake. This is actually quite an intriguing scenario to think about, isn't it. Hmmm. Only thing is, John is a doctor--- where in heck did he ever get to be such a good actor? In the scenes with the psychologist and the one with Mrs. H, well, maybe he could act that well to keep them in the dark about the truth.... but why, if he's acting like the grief-stricken friend and partner, would he continue that charade all by himself at the grave-site, talking to Sherlock, touching the stone, crying, marching away as though if he gave it one more thought he wouldn't be able to carry on anymore? In other words, I can understand the idea of him putting on a show for others, but why would he continue doing that when alone?

July 21, 2012 1:54 pm  #143

sherlockskitty wrote:

oh fiddlesticks.  I  just read the transcript of TRF  for the umpteenth time.   Remember John's line,  "don't be dead, Sherlock, please?"  ??   OK.  That makes me think that John actually KNOWS  that Sherlock isn't dead.  He's just...acting the part of a grieving friend. Plus--the more I watch this episode,  the more I see it.  John walked away from the grave,  and his head sort of turned in the direction where S was standing.    That's what I think.

So the whole scene at the psychologist's was fake?

I don't think so, do you?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 21, 2012 2:15 pm  #144

John doesn't know that Sherlock is alive. That's what I think. The turn of is head is "overinterpreted" here - or maybe just a way to change the scene. To lead the view of the audience to the right direction.
That's from a dark corner in my mind palace. I will watch TRF the third time next week, maybe it'll change my mind and I have to clean up my corners.

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 21, 2012 2:17 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 21, 2012 2:48 pm  #145

My own interpretation is that, in his head, John knows good and well that Sherlock is dead.  However, there is still doubt, or at least hope, in his heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 21, 2012 6:29 pm  #146

kazza474 wrote:

So the whole scene at the psychologist's was fake? I don't think so, do you?

No, and neither was that brief scene of John in the Baker St living room, barefoot, sitting in thought. He looked wrecked, empty-brained, at a loss of what to do now. The empty leather chair across from him spoke volumes. The place was....silent. All the life had gone out of it. All the energy.

Not. Faking. Does. Not. Know.   That's my take on it, for sure.

July 21, 2012 6:32 pm  #147

Fetchinketch wrote:

My own interpretation is that, in his head, John knows good and well that Sherlock is dead.  However, there is still doubt, or at least hope, in his heart.

Oh, yes, he definitely has hope. Otherwise how could he have stood there and asked for the miracle of not-being-dead? He knows full well how Sherlock can surprise everyone, and now he's fully prepared to be surprised, any time good ol' Sher wants to show up again. Poor John. He really puts up with a lot, doesn't he.

I am genuinely excited about seeing how the writers are going to fix this, when the time comes. Squeeing with excitement, as a matter of fact. I hope my head doesn't explode first.

July 21, 2012 6:34 pm  #148

Mattlocked wrote:

.... a dark corner in my mind palace. I will watch TRF the third time next week, maybe it'll change my mind and I have to clean up my corners.

Your mind palace! lolololol  Yes, mind palaces can get disorganized and cob-webby, can't they.

I have now watched TRF all the way through 5 times and my fave parts at least 20. I think I have parts of it memorized. Some of the most fascinating TV I've ever seen.

July 21, 2012 6:53 pm  #149

ancientsgate wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

.... a dark corner in my mind palace. I will watch TRF the third time next week, maybe it'll change my mind and I have to clean up my corners.

Your mind palace! lolololol  Yes, mind palaces can get disorganized and cob-webby, can't they.

Oh yes, really.... Have to commit that, compared to Sherlock, mine is more kind of...... mind-shelf.... But quite disorganized anyway. Only thing sorted as far as I possible is the "Sherlock-corner". Everything else starts falling away to the sides... Lying on the dusty floor... Ready for being picked up again later... maybe in some years... 

July 21, 2012 6:54 pm  #150

No. I still believe that John knows Sherlock is dead but he cannot accept it. The comment about the miracle is him being still in a state of denial HOWEVER it does serve a clear dramatic purpose. From there, almost immediately afterwards the camera cuts to a shot of Sherlock, very much alive and well.

We see that as the audience; we are let into the secret. Unlike the original story where Sherlock Holmes dies at the Reichenbach Falls and is only subsequently resurrected due to the pressure exerted by the readership upon Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Of course the little speech that John makes at the graveside resounds with dramatic irony. He is basically giving a eulogy for a man we, at the end, know is not dead. If John really believed Sherlock to be alive or capable of defying death through some kind of miracle he would not be as clearly devastated as he is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 21, 2012 8:28 pm  #151

Oh God, this thread is making me all emotional for John. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 21, 2012 8:32 pm  #152

This was post no. 20,000. Congrats, boss!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 21, 2012 9:17 pm  #153

Mattlocked wrote:

Have to commit that, compared to Sherlock, mine is more kind of...... mind-shelf.... But quite disorganized anyway. Only thing sorted as far as I possible is the "Sherlock-corner". Everything else starts falling away to the sides... Lying on the dusty floor... Ready for being picked up again later... maybe in some years... 

But have you conveniently forgotten that the earth revolves around the sun?  *smile*

July 21, 2012 9:27 pm  #154

Yes, because Mattlocked is spectacularly ignorant in a nice way 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 21, 2012 10:00 pm  #155

I only keep USEFUL things in my mind. REALLY useful!!

July 21, 2012 10:26 pm  #156

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Oh God, this thread is making me all emotional for John. 

Mmmm. I loves me some John. He is the wind beneath Sherlock's ruffled wings, IMO. Ya can't have one without the other. 

And meanwhile, we all have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) to see what happens next. I haven't been this full of anticipation for like centuries, lol. Cliffhangers--- can't live with 'em or without 'em.

July 21, 2012 10:37 pm  #157

this is a cliffhanger,  INDEED!!   Too bad it's the SHERLOCK kind...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 31, 2012 9:38 am  #158

I wonder if they'll make it as a surprise for John like "Oops, btw. I'm not dead" or the way that John suspects/notices something weird before actually seeing Sherlock alive.

He definitely has to punch Sherlock!

I'm sure Mycroft knows and helped Sherlock, especially after all the things he told Moriarty, he obviously felt extremely guilty.

I really worry about how Mrs Hudson will react.

And I'm excited to see the faces of Donovan and Anderson!

Btw. what's it with these "3 years later", is it confirmed that it'll be 3 years later? I read that a lot online, but never found a source.

Last edited by Ivy (July 31, 2012 9:55 am)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 31, 2012 10:04 am  #159

Ivy wrote:

Btw. what's it with these "3 years later", is it confirmed that it'll be 3 years later? I read that a lot online, but never found a source.

This is a quote from ACD German "Empty House":

Ich habe in den letzten drei Jahren so oft meinen Stift angesetzt, um Ihnen einen Brief zu schreiben, aber jedes Mal fürchtete ich, daß Sie aus Sorge um mich versucht sind, sich zu verplappern und dadurch mein Geheimnis verraten.  SH talking to Watson.

http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/1153/2

So it is "kind of" confirmed, yes. 

For those who are not from Berlin:
Several times during the last three years I have taken up my pen to write to you, but always I feared lest your affectionate regard for me should tempt you to some indiscretion which would betray my secret. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 31, 2012 10:11 am)

July 31, 2012 12:43 pm  #160

Indeed, Ivy - the three year span comes form the original books. However, there is no knowing if the TV show adapts this time period. They might shorten it to accommodate modern audiences - 3 years in such fast-moving times as today have a quite different tenor nowadays than back then, I reckon..

Board footera