BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2014 6:18 pm  #1241

Re: The Imitation Game

From the Carpetbagger blog at The New York Times, there is a quite interesting piece about costuming The Imitation Game; it seems Benedict worked quite a lot with the costume designer. Surely that's quite unusual?

Last edited by REReader (December 18, 2014 6:19 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 18, 2014 8:13 pm  #1242

Thanks for posting, such an interesting article. And I think it is quite unusual for Benedict to act in the costumes during the design process and to try out the clothes so carefully. And I love how they harmonised the colours of the clothes to fit his eye colour. Just another example of his meticulous approach, I suppose. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 19, 2014 10:41 pm  #1243

The Savoy Theatre in Hamburg shows the original version of The Imitation Game on January 21st! I'll probably be in London around that time, otherwise I'd consider a trip to Hamburg.

http://www.savoy-filmtheater.de/filmprogramm/film/the-imitation-game-ov.html

Last edited by diva (December 19, 2014 11:09 pm)

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

December 19, 2014 10:49 pm  #1244

The Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet has interviewed Benedict about The Imitation Game. In that interview he stated that the tears towards the end wasn't acting, because he was so overwhelmed, shocked and by the treatment Alan Turing received that he, for a couple of takes, couldn't stop crying. 

Interview is here if someone wants to run it through Google Translate: 

http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/12/19/kultur/film/morten_tyldom/benedicht_cumbernatch/the_imitation_game/36500023/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 21, 2014 10:40 pm  #1245

Another Imitation Game-related interview: Benedict Cumberbatch has a genius for multitasking. (It branches out some.) 

And the Independent, in yet another Imitation Game interview, managed to get a quote about the Sony response to the hacking--there's a video clip here.

Last edited by REReader (December 21, 2014 10:40 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 22, 2014 10:10 pm  #1246

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

December 22, 2014 10:12 pm  #1247

This is wonderful news.

And I am really excited because on Friday I am going to the Netherlands with my daughter to watch the film there. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2014 11:43 pm  #1248

I can't wait to see this film.  I think it is such an important movie that centres around basic human rights as well as being giving exposure to a lesser known piece of history.  I am so proud a person with such a high profile (and such huge talent) as BC has lent his efforts and skill to this film.  

Right now it is only showing in Toronto and area (over 4 hours away) in my province but it will be opening to a wider release on Xmas Day.

Unfortunately where I live (definitely not a major city) I probably won't get to see it until sometime in January.  The closest city that will be showing it on Christmas Day is over an hour and a half away from us and with all the family and friends coming and going during the holiday season we probably won't have the time to travel to see it (never mind the possibility of snowstorms... ). 

Patience is a virtue I guess so I guess I will have to be verrry virtuous! 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 22, 2014 11:45 pm  #1249

Ah-chie}   Patience is a virtue I guess so I guess I will have to be verrry virtuous! 

-Val[/quote wrote:

We who are in the Sherlock fandom know lots and lots about patience, after all. 99% of what we do is wait for more Sherlock.

December 23, 2014 12:48 am  #1250

Indeed. Other fandoms may get their "fix" more rapidly but just look at what we get when we wait so long!  Benedict Cumberbatch wrapped up in a Belstaff 'Milford' Coat!!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

December 23, 2014 5:49 am  #1251

I'm going on Boxing Day to see it with a friend of mine - can't wait! (And it's cool that the director is Norwegian!)

As for fandoms - good thing about being a Benaddict these days is that he is EVERYWHERE. I remember being a fangirl before internet and all you had was to rewatch the same four videos you had of that band for years.

"You young 'uns don't know how it was in MY day!"

Last edited by Vhanja (December 23, 2014 6:09 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 23, 2014 6:39 am  #1252

What a fabulous way to spend Boxing day,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 23, 2014 1:56 pm  #1253

Another nomination for Benedict, apparently the only Brit in there. 

http://vancouverfilmcritics.com/2014/12/22/2015-nominees-announced/

Last edited by SusiGo (December 23, 2014 1:57 pm)

December 23, 2014 5:33 pm  #1254

Oh yeah!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2015 12:12 pm  #1255

More awards - this time not for Benedict but as Best Film and Best Director which is great because Tyldum has been overlooked in most competitions:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/the-imitation-game-capri-hollywood-awards-winners-list-1201339890/

January 3, 2015 5:23 pm  #1256

I don't know if anyone has posted a thread on how TIG has been doing at the box office but it seems to be rolling along quite nicely.  As of this morning the Friday estimates were given for the NA domestic figures and it almost cleared $3 million on that day bringing the total to over $25 mil.  Total including overseas and NA domestic is edging quite close to $50 million (although that only is taking into consideration the UK markets NOT overseas places like Australia, Norway, New Zealand, etc. where I understand it has opened).

Although BO doesn't sway my opinion of the film in the least (I absolutely loved The Fifth Estate and it bombed in the theatres) it does help in getting the film to gather enough steam to garner some awards and notice in a wider sense. 

I hear The Imitation Game is going to wider release on January 9/15 (to about 1500 theatres) and full release  sometime after that. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 4, 2015 3:17 am  #1257

I haven't had the chance to see this film yet; but honestly seeing how well this film is doing with all the awards makes me happy. So very happy. This is a really important story and I can't believe it isn't common knowledge. 

I just saw the Danish poster... sorry for the small size btw. I adore it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 6, 2015 4:38 pm  #1258

And even more nominations at the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards:
film, director, lead actor, screenplay, supporting actress.

http://www.thewrap.com/boyhood-birdman-imitation-game-lead-australias-%20aacta-nominations/

January 6, 2015 5:29 pm  #1259

Oh yeah.

January 7, 2015 5:02 pm  #1260

Yesterday there was a very short report on "Keira Knightley's new film" on a very lousy German celebrity show. They managed to do the entire report without mentioning BC at all. They even showed scenes with everybody but Kedira standing in the background. The average German audience now thinks that she is the single star of the film. Very weird.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera