BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2014 7:48 pm  #561

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

Well, German commas are one of the few things that are logical. At least if you know the grammar behind the rule.
But then, that might be the German teacher in me speaking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 21, 2014 7:57 pm  #562

Schmiezi wrote:

At least if you know the grammar behind the rule.  

I think you may have identified my problem there, Schmiezi. 

December 21, 2014 8:01 pm  #563

silverblaze wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

At least if you know the grammar behind the rule.  

I think you may have identified my problem there, Schmiezi. 

That was my inner teacher speaking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 21, 2014 9:09 pm  #564

Schmiezi wrote:

My wonderful new beta is Canadian, and she explained some of the punctuation rules to me. General rules, not just about dialogue. She also pointed out that some of the rules contradict each other. It left me more confused than before.

Oh? Can you remember what she said was a contradiction? I don't know about this, I think.

December 21, 2014 9:14 pm  #565

silverblaze wrote:

Well, it's helpful for me. AG might just not be aware of the fact that interpunction is different across languages and often quite counterintuitive. I remember learning to write letters in German at school; at first I thought it'd be easy, our languages have a simiar structure etcetera. Turned out I had pretty much all the commas wrong. You Germans, you just love your commas, don't you? 

Funny, I had just finished my secret santa fic when I realised I didn't really know whether to use single quotes or double quotes (I'd seen both). Really happy to see that single quotes are also ok, I wasn't going to redo all the quotation marks! 

The em dash is new for me, though. I don't even think it's on my computer and I can't think of ever reading it in a book. Is it perhaps an American thing? Maybe I just read over it without ever seeing it, interpunction tends to work that way. 

WTH is interpunction?  I'm all ears.

December 21, 2014 9:21 pm  #566

Maybe punctuation? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 21, 2014 9:40 pm  #567

Harriet wrote:

Ancientsgate, do you think my post wasn't helpful or necessary? Do you think it's of no interest for people here?

I think anything that tries to teach people how to write better is of interest anyplace where writers and readers hang out. I was just putting in my two cents, that punctuation rules are barely taught anymore, and not only that, they're taught way back in school, to 8, 9, 10 year olds, who then quickly forget what they were taught. Fast forward 20+ years, when suddenly someone finds they want to write stories for others to read, but they lack the skills to make it readable. At that time, it'll be necessary to relearn what they were taught back in the day and then promptly forgot. Ivy's small primer was a good review, for sure.

December 21, 2014 9:45 pm  #568

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe punctuation? 

I went to google and looked, and apparently interpunction is the same as punctuation?  Is it punctuation in another language or something? I've never heard of interpunction. I thought it was something new, lol, but I guess not.

December 21, 2014 9:50 pm  #569

We add an adult content warning to the thread and we're talking about punctuation.
I'm so disappointed in you ladies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 21, 2014 9:51 pm  #570

It just means putting your commas in the right place, I suppose. Which I find difficult in English because the rules are quite different from German. Therefore I am grateful for having Davina as a native-speaking beta reader if needed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 21, 2014 10:01 pm  #571

tonnaree wrote:

We add an adult content warning to the thread and we're talking about punctuation.
I'm so disappointed in you ladies.

The most boring of all p-words.... I'm so sorry, tonnaree, my fault 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 21, 2014 10:10 pm  #572

silverblaze wrote:

The em dash is new for me, though. I don't even think it's on my computer and I can't think of ever reading it in a book. Is it perhaps an American thing? Maybe I just read over it without ever seeing it, interpunction tends to work that way.  

I have to use ALT+0151 to get em-dash but they are super useful!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 21, 2014 10:10 pm  #573

Sorry, tonnaree. Feel free to add a bit of adult content. 

December 21, 2014 10:15 pm  #574

*yells*

PENIS!

*runs away giggling*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 21, 2014 10:19 pm  #575

Phew! I thought you would say something really naughty! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 21, 2014 10:26 pm  #576

She is still warming up, I suppose. 

December 21, 2014 10:43 pm  #577

Is interpunction not English? Maybe it's a Dutchism. I'll go and check. 

@Tonnaree: No warning is big enough when you talk about punctuation. Schoolkids all over the world agree that it's a topic from hell. 

December 21, 2014 10:51 pm  #578

Back from factchecking: interpunction is English. AG could've worked that out but anyway. Thing about the English language, it often has a few words that have exactly the same meaning but a different root language. Although in this case both words sound very Latin to me. 

Speaking of Latin: PENIS

Runs to join Tonnaree

December 21, 2014 10:52 pm  #579

silverblaze wrote:

Schoolkids all over the world agree that it's a topic from hell. 

I thought that's usually maths, isn't it?

Last edited by stoertebeker (December 21, 2014 10:53 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 21, 2014 11:03 pm  #580

silverblaze wrote:

Back from factchecking: interpunction is English. AG could've worked that out but anyway. Thing about the English language, it often has a few words that have exactly the same meaning but a different root language. Although in this case both words sound very Latin to me. 

Speaking of Latin: PENIS

Runs to join Tonnaree

Well, my two dictionaries don't list interpunction, only punctuation. Just saying. Also the spell check here doesn't recognize it.

Board footera