BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2014 7:50 pm  #81

Re: Martin will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Dec. 13

(Claps hands)

This is a challenge he can´t refuse! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 16, 2014 4:01 am  #82

Vhanja wrote:

Going back to the Benedict/Martin-issue, I did notice that he didn't even mentioned Sherlock when he listed what he might be known for, in his monologue. 

I think it's because Sherlock isn't that well known on this side of the pond. I do occasionally meet other Sherlockians, but for every one I meet, there are ten people who have never heard of it. SNL hosts tend to bring up the things they've done that the audience is likely to know about.

He wasn't a particularly memorable SNL host, but I think he did a good job.

Just some other thoughts from skimming the thread:

-Martin and/or Benedict have flat out said that they're not friends and don't hang out. But it's clear to me from interviews that they are on good terms and genuinely like each other. So I believe that anything they say against the other is said affectionately. One of the outtakes from TSOT shows them behind the scenes at the 221b breakfast table and they are so at ease with each other, with Martin teasing Benedict. There's a moment in another interview where Martin says that he did something 'to make Ben laugh.' There's definite cameraderie on set.

-I'm a fan of Sherlock because of Martin. He was the person who drew me to the show. I knew his name well before Sherlock existed and I didn't even memorize the name of the guy who played Sherlock until that moment watching TEH when I realised that, hey, waitaminute, Khan is Sherlock/Sherlock is Khan/my mind is blown. I now follow Benedict's career extensively because he does so many projects I'm interested in while I'm not as interested in the work Martin does (loved Fargo, though, and his being in it was one factor that convinced me to watch it). I actually don't watch/read a lot of interviews for either because I don't want to get to know the actors that well. In real life, Ben's more my type than is Martin, but on Sherlock, you'll find me lusting after John. I don't discuss Martin/John as much as Benedict because a) I haven't seen as much of Martin's work and b) I became a hard core Sherlockian after series 3, in which my feelings for John became so conflicted.

-In reply to some of the comments about Amanda, I know she is someone I would strongly dislike in real life because of her vulgar and immature strops on Twitter. But that doesn't stop me from appreciating her work as an actress and thinking she deserves congratulations for any awards won.

-Finally, in my culture, the 'f' word is about as vulgar as the English word darn, so it simply has no shock value to me at all and I have to remind myself that native English speakers have issues with it!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 16, 2014 6:55 am  #83

Though not if you live in Scotland!
And it is definitely a cultural thing.
More to the point, apparently at least 3 of the 4 person Freeman family swear constantly.
'F..k' seems to be Martin's word of choice.

Last edited by besleybean (December 16, 2014 6:56 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 17, 2014 1:57 pm  #84

I was tipped that poeple expects my appologies: 

Please, accept my appologies. It was not my aim to hurt your feelings, but only to express my hurted ones. 

If anyone has still some open issues with me or wants more than that, any explanation or anything else from me personally, please PM me. I am away next days without internet,  it will take a week to get back to you. Thank you. 

December 17, 2014 2:07 pm  #85

No hurt feelings here.

Enjoy a nice quiet time without internet and a nice Christmas.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 17, 2014 3:43 pm  #86

I don't see why you should apologize. Hope to see you back soon!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 17, 2014 5:22 pm  #87

No hurt feelings here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 17, 2014 5:47 pm  #88

No hurt feelings here, either. Everyone is entitled to her/his opinion.
It's just kinda interesting that this forum is considered to be a place full of hate and bashing, and it seems to me that some people have difficulties with distinguishing between tumblr or twitter and this forum.
But enough said.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 17, 2014 6:46 pm  #89

All good here.

Ii occurs to me that I spent a number of years in academia, and I never heard so many f-bombs dropped as there. (Not even by Martin on a roll!) No one meant anything much by it there, either, so it's hard for me to get offended by such language, even though I've never, ever used it myself. It's all in what you're used to, I suppose, and on who's using it, so I can't imagine anyone who has had anything to do with Martin so much as blinking at it.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 17, 2014 7:04 pm  #90

I wonder if it's hard for Martin to not swear in front of his kids?

When my kids were little I cut way back.  As a result when the kids were away I would swear like a sailor all weekend to get it out of my system. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2014 7:06 pm  #91

Amanda has tweeted that their 8 yeart old son swears all the time...
The apple hasn't fallen far from that tree.

Last edited by besleybean (December 17, 2014 7:06 pm)

May 27, 2015 10:44 am  #92

WhooHoo!  Go Martin!

After initially being eleminated Martin Freeman has come back and won the Entertainment Weekly Mr. Saturday Night Live contest as Best Host of the Season!!!!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/26/saturday-night-live-2015-best-host/2

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 27, 2015 1:01 pm  #93

Awesome! Well deserved!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 27, 2015 1:08 pm  #94

I do hope this means SNL will ask him back!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 27, 2015 4:00 pm  #95

Ha… that's great!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera