BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2014 1:12 pm  #3101

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Mattlocked wrote:

I prefer my doctor clean shaven

Me too.
But even though I am not a big fan of facial hair I had to admit that Martins's beard was quite lovely and majestic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2014 2:34 pm  #3102

Is Martin naturally darkhaired?

I always percieved him as a blonde - but his beard is dark here.
(Althrough, in "Hitchhiker´s guide to the galaxy" he was brownhaired if I remember it right.)

Last edited by nakahara (December 17, 2014 2:45 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 17, 2014 2:43 pm  #3103

I think men often quite have a beard in a different colour from their head hair. I always assumed that what we see in Sherlock is his natural hair colour, dark blond turning grey. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 17, 2014 3:15 pm  #3104

Martin's beard was quite gingery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2014 3:37 pm  #3105

If he had his own hair colour in The Office, he is dark blond/light brown. I am not sure if the grey he has had the last few years is just him having his hair lightened/striped. (not sure what the English term is).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2014 12:05 pm  #3106

Sorry for double post, but I just thought of something:

Benedict and Martin have been asked a lot of stupid stuff, and have had to deal with a lot of stupid stuff, regarding Johnlock fandom/fanfic/fanarts. So I was thinking that even if Moftiss had planned to make Johnlock happened in the future, the two actors might put their foot down and say no. 

Considering what they've been through already because of this, I can't imagine the ton of nagger and crap they would have to go through if Sherlock and John actually became an item. So I wouldn't be surprised if they simply said they wouldn't do it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2014 12:26 pm  #3107

I really do not see the actors doing that. It would not just be unprofessional but also sad and a sort of concession to homophobic tendencies within the audience. Because I think that open-minded people would welcome a convincing and well-written love story between those two. 

No idea about Martin because I do not know so much about his filmography but I really do not see Benedict shunning playing a character in love with another man when the script demands it. He played at least two gay characters so far and did not seem to be awkward about it in the least.

And I really do not see the actors or the writers changing their course just because of some fan art. Moftiss have said that they are creating a sort of fanfic themselves. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 22, 2014 12:26 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2014 12:35 pm  #3108

I don't think neither Benedict nor Martin has issues playing a gay character, not at all. Neither of them are homophobic, quite the opposite. I just think they might hesitate to do it in THIS setting. I mean - they have already had explicit fanfics and fanart stuffed under their noses to create entertainment for the media. Not to mention insane fans talking about Benedict's engagement being a PR stunt and that he can't say anything about it because Martin is his "dom". (Yes, there are crazy people out there).

Lord only knows how this will escalate if Johnlock actually happened.

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2014 12:41 pm  #3109

I am not sure it would escalate. It might also take some of the tension out when it is in the open.
There will always be crazy fans in any fandom and for any celebrity but if you listen to them you lose your artistic freedom. 

December 22, 2014 12:55 pm  #3110

SusiGo wrote:

There will always be crazy fans in any fandom and for any celebrity but if you listen to them you lose your artistic freedom. 

That is very true. And I hope they don't.

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2014 1:06 pm  #3111

I don't think they'd refuse.   They might be irritated about being misled.  That didn't seem to bother Amanda, but I suppose she wasn't misled over three series (and I'm not an actor at all, but I'm almost surprised that she didn't have an issue with it - I think if I was her I would have wanted them to trust me to play it in the way intended). 

December 22, 2014 1:48 pm  #3112

Provided that Benedict and Martin are truly being misled. As I said before, it is very odd how repetitive and shallow Benedict's statements about Sherlock are compared to him talking in depth about other parts. He has said more interesting things about being a wolf or a dragon than about playing Sherlock.

You see him playing such a nuanced part but when he talks about it he leaves out all the interesting things. Has he ever talked about the mind palace scene and Sherlock coming back from the dead? About his reaction on the dancefloor in TSOT? The missing chair? The tarmac scene? I do not remember anything like that. 

December 22, 2014 1:55 pm  #3113

This is actually my greatest worry. Not that they might not do johnlock if the writers chose so (because I don't think that's their goal anyway), but that they might stop doing Sherlock altogether. I mean, some people really crossed every line, especially towards Amanda. It's possibe that they just get fed up after a while and decide it quits. 

December 22, 2014 2:05 pm  #3114

From what the actors have said, it seems that they're not playing it as Johnlock.  This interview with Mark Gatiss is being talked about, and I think it makes his intentions a lot clearer (the "Johnlock" part starts around 11 minutes in). 

If that's the message the actors are getting, then of course it's misleading if they're suddenly told they've been acting "Johnlock" all along.   I know that occasionally film-making works like this (Amanda being kept in the dark is a case in point), but they're both very talented actors and have been doing this for a long time - I think they'd be entitled to feel a little aggrieved that they'd been deceived, when they could maybe have done much more with the parts.  I still think they'd do it, though!

Anyway, the youtube link is interesting, but that part in particular makes it clear - Mark explains the root of the "gay jokes" (it was a reference to The Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes), and says that although there's a need for more openly gay couples on TV, it's not going to happen in Sherlock. 

(And as I've said before, it would hardly be the best representation to have them in the closet for three series'!). 

December 22, 2014 5:24 pm  #3115

Hallellujah, praise the Lord, there is a god after all...my Christmas has come 3 days early.
Nice when your thoughts about the show are so openly confirmed.
I only recently saw The Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes...but I didn''t need to see it, to get the gay joke.
Mark is wondeful and I adore hin anyway...but heck, what a good interview..

Last edited by besleybean (December 22, 2014 5:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 22, 2014 5:29 pm  #3116

And how lovely to see that folks in India adore Johnlock just about the same 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 22, 2014 5:35 pm  #3117

Nobod'ys ever doubted the love for Johnlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 22, 2014 6:04 pm  #3118

I think I read that Johnlock is more popular outside than inside the UK (but don't quote me!  I can't remember where I read it, and I may have imagined it). 

For those who can't watch it, somebody has kindly posted a transcript of that bit on tumblr(it's OK to post tumblr links, isn't it?). 

If we had an agenda of making Sherlock and Dr Watson an openly gay couple that’s what we would have done, but that’s not what we’re doing. That’s not what we’re doing.  And it’s perfect- I’m very happy everybody thinks what they like, but it’s. never. going. to. happen.  No, I’m not joking, it’s not. The point of the series is not to make them an openly gay couple, and as I said the danger is - people say but why, they should be, because we need more openly gay couples in television. Yes we do, but this is our show, and we’re just making a decision about our characters, I’d be very happy to write another show in which there is an openly gay couple and that’s what it’s about, but it’s not this one

(There's a bit more to it than that, but you get the gist of it).

Last edited by Liberty (December 22, 2014 6:04 pm)

December 22, 2014 6:07 pm  #3119

It is what I've been hoping for.
Ian Hallard started it, they are fairly clear on the commentary, but this is the best so far.

December 22, 2014 6:18 pm  #3120

Yeah, it's what I always thought they were going for (or NOT going for) too. 

The only shippers who really could open the champagne and celebrate was Dumbledore/Grindelwald. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera