BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2014 3:43 pm  #1061

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Vhanja wrote:

Liberty wrote:

But since she shot him, Sherlock has gone on to put his life on the line for her, literally - he knew that shooting Magnussen would result in life imprisonment (where he might be killed, it's suggested) or almost certain death on Mycroft's mission.  A "thank you" might have been polite .

I don't think he did it for her, he did it for John.

And she might have thanked him off-camera. 

Possibly, and she's warm towards him at the airport, but I think that if it happened, the "thank you" scene should have been included - because it's such a huge thing.   First of all he has unwittingly sacrificed himself for her (when she shoots him), and then he sacrifices himself again for her.   It's also for John and the baby-on-the-way (he vowed to protect the three of them), and Mycroft actually, possibly, and others.   But the name he mentions is Mary's.   I'd love to have a scene where she said the slightest thing about him protecting her, protecting her relationship with John, saving her life at the cost of his own, etc.  The fact that all that is left out makes her seem much more sinister.

Last edited by Liberty (December 13, 2014 3:44 pm)

December 13, 2014 3:44 pm  #1062

Series 4 maybe?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 3:59 pm  #1063

She doesn't know that he jeopardised his life. And my suspicion for series four is that the events will have forged a very deep bond between Mary and Sherlock. 

December 13, 2014 4:10 pm  #1064

besleybean wrote:

But the Christmas reconciliation is just beautiful.

For me the main reason why I never watched HLV a second time tbh. It's so awful to watch her snark, her ugly costumes, the crying, her being forgiven and safe without having deserved it.

Last edited by mrshouse (December 13, 2014 4:14 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 13, 2014 4:13 pm  #1065

silverblaze wrote:

She doesn't know that he jeopardised his life. And my suspicion for series four is that the events will have forged a very deep bond between Mary and Sherlock. 

That's what I definitely wouldn't like to see. For me Sherlock and John should stay the main characters and at the tarmac you feel very much that their friendship is shattered and just a shadow of what it used to be. They have enough to work emotionally without a third lead.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 13, 2014 4:14 pm  #1066

I think she must have some idea - at the very least, she knows that he was going to go to prison for murder.  But she may also have an inkling that he could have been murdered in prison (why else would Mycroft get him out of prison to send him to near-certain death?  He must have thought there was a very real risk, I suppose.   And she could well have worked out that Sherlock was going on a death mission.   But even if she didn't know that, life imprisonment is a pretty big deal - a huge thing to do for her, even if it's also for John and the baby.  Especially considering that she came so close to killing him. 

December 13, 2014 5:06 pm  #1067

That is one of my absolute favoutite bits on the commentaries...only that it makes me laugh, I do NOT agree with Magnussen's murder.
But as Steven points out: Mary is much smarter than Sherlock,he stops her doing to Magnussen what it takes him an hour longer to get around to doing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 8:15 pm  #1068

besleybean wrote:

That is one of my absolute favoutite bits on the commentaries...only that it makes me laugh, I do NOT agree with Magnussen's murder.
But as Steven points out: Mary is much smarter than Sherlock,he stops her doing to Magnussen what it takes him an hour longer to get around to doing!

I bet he would have been quicker if Mary had trusted him enough to ask for help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 13, 2014 9:44 pm  #1069

True.

December 13, 2014 10:28 pm  #1070

I so need to get those commentaries. 

December 13, 2014 10:34 pm  #1071

You really do.

December 13, 2014 10:47 pm  #1072

I was kinda hoping that someone would put them online but I haven't seen them so I guess I need to buy the dvd from abroad. Hope my region code is on it. 

December 13, 2014 10:54 pm  #1073

mrshouse wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

That's what I definitely wouldn't like to see. For me Sherlock and John should stay the main characters and at the tarmac you feel very much that their friendship is shattered and just a shadow of what it used to be. They have enough to work emotionally without a third lead.

I totally agree. And I hope that we won't see a deep bond between Sherlock and Mary, and that there is more to this whole "Sherlock and John have forgiven Mary"-thing than one might think from what we've seen so far.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 13, 2014 11:05 pm  #1074

Well, I think they'll have a deep bond and then Mary dies. So it's not all bad Solar. I think they're setting up the bond to make her death more dramatic. Won't work on all of us obviously. 

December 13, 2014 11:06 pm  #1075

@ Solar .Certainly nothing in either the commentaries or the Chronicles indicate that...quite the opposite in fact.
They are in a close three way bond.
@ silverblaze: no, apparently not!

Last edited by besleybean (December 13, 2014 11:08 pm)

December 14, 2014 12:00 am  #1076

silverblaze wrote:

Well, I think they'll have a deep bond and then Mary dies. So it's not all bad Solar. I think they're setting up the bond to make her death more dramatic. Won't work on all of us obviously. 

Nothing ever works on everybody. And how boring would that be anyway?
As for Mary, it might be a bit too late for setting up this bond, because what they gave us up until now... I'm not really buying it. They could have gone so many ways with Mary in HLV, especially after she shot Sherlock. But what we actually were presented with in terms of Mary after Sherlock returned from his Mind Palace gave me nothing that would make me shed any tears over her death. Of course the effect her death might have on John/Sherlock might be dramatic indeed, who knows. I just don't believe in the bond. And I'm solely going by what I saw on screen.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 14, 2014 8:03 am  #1077

silverblaze wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

If they wanted all the viewers to understand and forgive Mary I wish they had not shown her in the second half of HLV as they have. Snarky, never remorseful, threatening, ugly.

Interesting how different we interpret things. I saw her primarily as scared and worried and the snark as a reaction to that fear. I thought it was masterfully played. 

I saw both, her being scared and worried and still never remorseful and threatening. Threatening especially while she was still on top of her game, scared and worried after Sherlock exposed her. I guess that´s mainly why her emotions at the reconciliation don´t really get to me - she´s just relieved for herself. She´s not relieved for Sherlock at the hospital, she is dead-cold at Leinster Gardens and during their "domestic" in 221b she doesn´t exactly show concern or sympathy for her husband whose world just fell apart around him (yet another time). I guess that´s the reasons why I perceive her as self-centered - but I fully acknowledge that it might just be the writer´s idea of how a sexy bad-ass ex-assassin reacts to everthing that happened. Or a build-up to the "surgery"-plot twist, to make it even more surprising.

I think they already tried to establish a special bond between Sherlock and Mary in S3.. and while I see what´s going on I must confess I absolutely don´t feel it. Everyone seems to be reconciled.. either it´s a plan (I recently read that the original story of "His Last Bow" is about Holmes pretending to be on the side of a spy in order to draw him out?) or I´m just out of sync with the show´s emotional core. Either way I´m patiently awaiting S4 to make it clear.. (as apparently we can´t count on the special).

December 14, 2014 9:44 am  #1078

Good post, zatoichi, I fully agree.

December 20, 2014 10:28 pm  #1079

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2014 10:34 pm  #1080

Well John loves her and I think Sherlock does too, in his own way,.

Board footera