BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2014 11:29 am  #201

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

I just had a try. The italics and bold parts work fine but there are no line breaks. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 24, 2014 12:24 pm  #202

No line breaks? That's gonna be one hell of an alinea then. 

November 24, 2014 1:45 pm  #203

Ok, I've got exactly the same problem, bold italics are fine, but the line breaks don't work. I tried .odt and .doc, extension doesn't seem to matter. I can't convert to docx, maybe that works? Typing [br][/br] doesn't work either. Maybe the line break command is different in different versions of bbcode? 

November 24, 2014 2:53 pm  #204

No idea if I can convert to .docx, I am working with Mac and only rarely use an old Word version. Maybe Kerkerian can tell us about her experience last year?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 24, 2014 3:04 pm  #205

Maybe it's a Mac thing. I use open office and leopard, both pretty ancient from before the docx time. .txt format doesn't work either. The only thing I can think of is to retype all the line breaks by hand but Schmiezi can't possibly do that for all of us. I wouldn't mind typing it all in bbcode in the doc file, but the command I found doesn't work on this forum. 

November 24, 2014 3:12 pm  #206

I found a way to do, thanks to Harriet who posted the two-step conversion.
However, I had done italics and bold manually so I am not sure if this really works. But the line breaks are in there which is important. I sent the HTML file to Schmiezi so she only has to paste it into the BBCode converter and then put it in here. This way it should work. 

First:
http://document.online-convert.com/convert-to-html

and then:
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

Last edited by SusiGo (November 24, 2014 3:54 pm)

November 24, 2014 5:36 pm  #207

SusiGo wrote:

No idea if I can convert to .docx, I am working with Mac and only rarely use an old Word version. Maybe Kerkerian can tell us about her experience last year?

Hey lovelies, I'm sorry, I don't speak any computer at all. I redid all the line breaks manually after loading the respective fic up last year.
Hopefully Susi's solution will work.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

November 24, 2014 5:37 pm  #208

I love how much thought you are all putting into this.

Rumor has it that you can also copy your text and paste it into AO3. Pretend that you want to post it, then copy and paste the preview again. I will go and try it ASAP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 24, 2014 5:41 pm  #209

SHERLOCK (gesturing to his own left cheek): Punch me in the face.JOHN: Punch you?SHERLOCK: Yes. Punch me, in the face. (He gestures to his left cheek again.) Didn’t you hear me?JOHN: I always hear ‘punch me in the face’ when you’re speaking, but it’s usually subtext.

(This is AO3 HTML)

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 24, 2014 5:44 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 24, 2014 5:43 pm  #210

SHERLOCK (gesturing to his own left cheek): Punch me in the face.JOHN: Punch you?SHERLOCK: Yes. Punch me, in the face. (He gestures to his left cheek again.) Didn’t you hear me?JOHN: I always hear ‘punch me in the face’ when you’re speaking, but it’s usually subtext.
(This is AO3 HTML as preview)

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 24, 2014 5:44 pm)

November 24, 2014 5:45 pm  #211

Both still need manual line breaks here after getting manual line breaks at AO3.

November 24, 2014 5:58 pm  #212

Schmiezi, it worked for me with Harriet's converters. I took a Word 2003 file, converted it in two steps and pasted it in here and checked the preview. As I said, I had put in the italics and bold codes manually. But the line breaks worked. 

November 24, 2014 6:08 pm  #213

Here is a sample from my fic which I converted as described above. I have changed the words into nonsense in order not to give anything away.

fdlhohs:
ljklglgjlfjlfjlfjljl
alavölxjöjlöcjgl
jfaljglfjglkjljl
kljfldjflfjlfjls, riddjfgkldjglkdjglafgjljgklfjl

Last edited by SusiGo (November 24, 2014 6:10 pm)

November 24, 2014 6:12 pm  #214

Good to know. Thank you for trying.

So did I get it right? Everybody should do what you did and send me the documents afterwards?

November 24, 2014 6:15 pm  #215

I think it would be easiest for you if you received an HTML file and you only had to convert it and paste the whole text in here. 

Btw - everyone can play around and check: Start a new topic, fill in a title (this is necessary), paste your text and click on preview. So nobody can see what you are doing. 

November 24, 2014 6:20 pm  #216

Sorry, I am a bit slow right now after three hours of constant background wailing.

November 24, 2014 6:50 pm  #217

I was abusing this thread for that . But I played around with the preview function and I think I got it to work. This is what seemed to work for me: The bold and italics needed to be put in separately, then convert the text to html, then DON'T use the source code, but the normal text from the html file into the bbcode converter (took me forever to work that out). I do hate how html makes a line break look like double spaced WHY DOES IT DO THAT? But in bbcode it looked normal again. 

Mmm, the time I spent wresling with the computer is reflected in my capslock abuse. But Schmiezi, I'll send you the html file and fingers crossed the bbcode converter works the same with you. It should just be a matter of copy paste now. 

November 24, 2014 6:52 pm  #218

I realised because I am subscribed to it and always got a notice and then it said "bad or outdated link." 

November 24, 2014 6:55 pm  #219

So am I getting this right, Susi: You converted your file into html, then did the italics and bold manually and then sent the file to Schmiezi? Or the other way around, first the italics and bold and then you converted it into html?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 24, 2014 7:01 pm  #220

Oh, I didn't realise it'd send out messages whoops. 

Solar, I did italics and bold manually and then the conversion into html. After conversion you still see the code, but when you put it through the bbcode converter and copy it onto the forum it looks right. 

Board footera