BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2014 6:35 pm  #181

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

Here:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5754

I think Liberty, besleybean and Wholocked volunteered as non-participants, which makes more sense than the participants beta reading for each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

November 11, 2014 9:48 pm  #182

I volunteered, too - I have already one, so one more should still be possible 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 11, 2014 11:39 pm  #183

Sorry Harriet, I didn't exclude you on purpose. Just lost count. Thanks for helping us out!

November 14, 2014 1:33 pm  #184

Hi people, sorry, I've been away from this board for a while, I put all my fandom time in the little fic and to be honest I also let that lie for a while. But just to come back to stating the prompt, I'd much rather do that below the story because the prompt contains spoilers. And now I'm thinking about it, I'd rather also have the name for the recipient below the story, because otherwise it is spoiled for that person. Anyone else want to do that too?

As for author's notes, I think mine is gonna be: 'This story is EVIL!!!'

Muhahahahah

November 14, 2014 3:00 pm  #185

Well, we did mention all these things in the prefixes last year, and I don't think it was spoiled for anyone. You basically have the same at Archive of Our Own, so I don't know... what do the others think?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 14, 2014 3:03 pm  #186

Yes, I know but my story works in such a way that it would be a spoiler. I'm not saying that anyone else should do it, just that I'm doing it. 

November 14, 2014 3:14 pm  #187

I think this is up to you, silverblaze. If it is important, you can add it at the end and everyone else can start with the dedication and possible notes and explanations. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 14, 2014 3:47 pm  #188

silverblaze wrote:

Yes, I know but my story works in such a way that it would be a spoiler. I'm not saying that anyone else should do it, just that I'm doing it. 

Knowing the prompt you got I can imagine why you want to do it that way.

One thing would be lovely, though. Please write a little note at the beginning of your fic, saying that you left out the name of the recipent on purpose. Otherwise I fear that I will forget it was on purpose and will "help" you by adding it because I 'll think that you just forgot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 14, 2014 6:45 pm  #189

Thanks Schmiezi, I just wanted to have the prompt and the name at the bottom. But I'll include a note. 
Good writing everyone. 

November 22, 2014 6:40 pm  #190

Hi everybody!

I thought you might like to know: I have received one finished fic and one note from someone who won't be able to make the deadline.

How is everybody else?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 22, 2014 8:10 pm  #191

Schmiezi wrote:

Hi everybody!

I thought you might like to know: I have received one finished fic and one note from someone who won't be able to make the deadline.

How is everybody else?

Hi! My fic is stubborn and refuses to end. Since I'm stubborn as well, I'm hoping to finish it some time this week.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

November 23, 2014 12:13 am  #192

You can have mine whenever you want. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 23, 2014 10:34 am  #193

Just send it to her already!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 23, 2014 2:24 pm  #194

Ok, I must be really dense, but I can't for the life of me work out how to send something in bbc code. The only way I can think of is to chop it up in bits and send the story via pm. Would that work? Isn't there a better way?

November 23, 2014 6:57 pm  #195

Mine is finished as well. Just wait for response of my beta reader.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 23, 2014 8:15 pm  #196

Mine's almost finished as well, just have to implement the corrections my lovely beta reader has given me. I'll just pm it I guess, seems the easiest way. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

November 24, 2014 7:59 am  #197

silverblaze wrote:

Ok, I must be really dense, but I can't for the life of me work out how to send something in bbc code. The only way I can think of is to chop it up in bits and send the story via pm. Would that work? Isn't there a better way?

Silverblaze - I think what you should do is to send your fic to Schmiezi in a Word doc, but if you want any specific formatting, such as italics or bold script, you  put the BBCodes directly into the word text. So Schmiezi can copy and paste the text directly into a forum post and doesn't have to do all the converting for us by hand (which she would have to do if you sent your text to her in a PM!).

Example:

If you want this to appear on the boards:

----------------
SHERLOCK (gesturing to his own left cheek): Punch me in the face.
JOHN: Punch you?
SHERLOCK: Yes. Punch me, in the face. (He gestures to his left cheek again.) Didn’t you hear me?
JOHN: I always hear ‘punch me in the face’ when you’re speaking, but it’s usually subtext.
-------------

with the proper formatting, you send Schmiezi a Word doc containing the following text:

----------------
SHERLOCK [ i](gesturing to his own left cheek):[ /i] Punch me in the face.
JOHN: Punch you?
SHERLOCK: Yes. Punch me, in the face. [ i](He gestures to his left cheek again.)[ /i] Didn’t you hear me?
JOHN: I [ b]always[ /b] hear ‘punch me in the face’ when you’re speaking, but it’s usually subtext.
-------------

Just without the empty spaces inside the brackets.

Schmiezi, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by La Jolie (November 24, 2014 8:06 am)

November 24, 2014 8:24 am  #198

Okay, I just typed this with the code as suggested by LaJolie in a word document and then copied it in here...

SHERLOCK: (gesturing to his own left cheek) Punch me in the face.

JOHN: I always hear ‘punch me in the face’ when you’re speaking…

Looks okay...

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 24, 2014 8:25 am)

November 24, 2014 8:33 am  #199

And if your fic is VERY long and/or you have a lot of formatting, our resident tech wizard Harriet also came up with a method to automatically convert Word docs into BBCode:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5799

But it's a two step process via HTML, and the result is not quite as reliable as doing it by hand. So it's really only worth trying if you have pages and pages of complex formatting. Not if you only have one or two words in italics on every page.

November 24, 2014 10:33 am  #200

Ah, thanks a lot, people, I'll do that. I thought it'd be a lot more code. 

Board footera