BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2014 10:38 am  #441

Re: The "Good News" thread

Schmiezi wrote:

That sounds really good, AC. (And Tobe.)
Visits at the dentists are one of the few things I'm really scared of.

Well, since this is the good news thread, maybe I can add that we can think it's good news that going to the dentist will keep us out of pain, smelling good, and not looking so scary-bad as we would otherwise?  And that there are anti-anxiety drugs available where we can take a little pill and go to our appointments not completely scared out of our minds?  (this is what I call choosing to see the glass as half full rather than half empty, lol)

November 22, 2014 6:26 pm  #442

ancientsgate wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

That sounds really good, AC. (And Tobe.)
Visits at the dentists are one of the few things I'm really scared of.

Well, since this is the good news thread, maybe I can add that we can think it's good news that going to the dentist will keep us out of pain, smelling good, and not looking so scary-bad as we would otherwise?  And that there are anti-anxiety drugs available where we can take a little pill and go to our appointments not completely scared out of our minds?  (this is what I call choosing to see the glass as half full rather than half empty, lol)

Well said!
My dentist has a stuffed tooth named "Quetschi", which translates "Squashy". You can squash it with one hand while otherwise pretending to be brave. It's usually reserved for children, but I am also allowed to use it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 22, 2014 6:28 pm  #443

I would love that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 22, 2014 6:47 pm  #444

Schmiezi wrote:

Well said! My dentist has a stuffed tooth named "Quetschi", which translates "Squashy". You can squash it with one hand while otherwise pretending to be brave. It's usually reserved for children, but I am also allowed to use it.

Quetschi! I LOVE that. And if my dentist doesn't have a Squashy (more likely to be translated Squishy, actually), I could bring my own. I have a favorite stuffed cat, a replica of a real chimera cat whose name is Venus, and I could bring her. This is the real Venus' Facebook page; ain't she a hoot? She makes me happy, just looking at her.
https://www.facebook.com/VenusTheAmazingChimeraCat

Last edited by ancientsgate (November 22, 2014 6:49 pm)

November 22, 2014 6:53 pm  #445

Venus is fab.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 22, 2014 6:53 pm  #446

Gorgeous!

Squishy sounds good. It's about the sound that it makes when I get really scared.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 25, 2014 8:07 pm  #447

That cruise I won was just the thing I needed... despite the heavy rocking of the ship last night and drunk old men falling over my friend and me in the bar when we flirting with the singer... It was a perfect trip!

Oslo is a beautiful city, and gosh... when I woke up way too early and my friend wanted to keep sleeping and I went up on the deck in the early morning light and watched the view of the fjord... 

A few days ago I was crying in front of my mum because I had to tell her I'm being bullied at work and actually never wanted to come back there....

Right now I'm actually looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 26, 2014 8:53 am  #448

It is always good to get a chance to recharge your batteries. I now have a picture in my head of the drunk old men...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 2, 2014 6:00 pm  #449

Yay!  After a heck of a weekend being a retail worker (bleh)… but at least got Friday off for relaxation and family dinner and being 'thankful' for everyone and having it pretty darn good and now 2 (!) years on this forum (seriously, this place is great), leaving shortly for a "mini-vacation" in the city.  Bit of early xmas present to each other, staying down there with mom for two days off and shopping and going to see "Elf" the musical (yup, based on the holiday movie of the same name).  Might get to pop in, but look forward to catching up when back, and hope all having a good start to December, too! 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 2, 2014 7:21 pm  #450

We had a tough week last week, when our beloved companion cat of almost 17 years endured her final health crisis, and on Saturday AM last, she crossed over. I haven't stopped crying yet, in fact am crying writing these two sentences! But the good news is how my husband and one of my adult sons have been so sweet and supportive with me, and I feel emotionally buoyed up by them. And although we can never replace our pretty Mia cat-- it would be impossible to find any kitty like her, since like all of them, she was unique--  my husband and I have agreed that we'll go to the local shelter and see if we can find a new pal to take home, soon as I can bear the thought. The other good news is that life is good, even through the tears, isn't it. We are mightily blessed.

December 2, 2014 7:25 pm  #451

So glad you have loving support in this situation. Our cat died three years ago and at first my husband did not want to have another one because he was so very sad. And then he was the first to propose going to the local shelter and having a look. And it was him who found our tomcat. It is very hard to lose a beloved animal and you cannot replace it but finding a new friend is a wonderful thing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 2, 2014 7:27 pm  #452

SusiGo wrote:

So glad you have loving support in this situation. Our cat died three years ago and at first my husband did not want to have another one because he was so very sad. And then he was the first to propose going to the local shelter and having a look. And it was him who found our tomcat. It is very hard to lose a beloved animal and you cannot replace it but finding a new friend is a wonderful thing. 

Life is all about new beginnings--  they say it's darkest just before the dawn, etc. I have hope. Meanwhile, I'm sure using a lot of tissues, mopping up the tears and the snot! 

December 2, 2014 7:36 pm  #453

Sorry about your loss, ag, make sure you take your time - and then go and help another little creature 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 2, 2014 7:43 pm  #454

Harriet wrote:

Sorry about your loss, ag, make sure you take your time - and then go and help another little creature

I actually occasionally called her that, as a  mini-nickname, "The Creatch!" lol My husband and I would laugh, and I'd ask him, "Do you let wild creatures in the house?"  Back when she was younger and felt better, she could sure tear around here, working off some of her kitty creature energy. Good memories.

December 2, 2014 7:54 pm  #455

Oh, how sweet! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 2, 2014 9:02 pm  #456

I am sorry for your loss ancient, losing a pet can be a horrible thing. It's great you have so much support around you! 

My good news... at work I have had some issues... like to my face being called useless. Today one of my co-workers told me the bosses had asked her if she could keep doing her job alone now a lot of people had been let go or had left on their own and she had answered them she would be all right as long as she had me to assist her; because she only trusted me to help her with prepping the medical equipment etc. 

If she knew how much I needed to hear that! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 2, 2014 9:50 pm  #457

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I am sorry for your loss ancient, losing a pet can be a horrible thing. It's great you have so much support around you!

Thanks. I do feel just a teeny bit better each day, overall. This is a hard time of year for me--  the gloom and darkness outside, the holidays (long story). This was the worst time of year for me to lose my little pal. Already though, I'm getting a little excited about the kitty who is even now waiting for us somewhere-- in the universe's good time, we will meet up and begin our lives together.

my good news... at work I have had some issues... like to my face being called useless. Today one of my co-workers told me the bosses had asked her if she could keep doing her job alone now a lot of people had been let go or had left on their own and she had answered them she would be all right as long as she had me to assist her; because she only trusted me to help her with prepping the medical equipment etc. 

If she knew how much I needed to hear that! 

God bless your coworker--  not only does she think highly of you, she was brave enough to tell your boss so, and nice enough to make sure you knew she did that.

December 3, 2014 8:19 am  #458

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, ag. Our kids would be devastated if ours died, although especially in the winter she is nothing but a fat, furry, lazy pain and does nothing for the money (apart fom decorating some mice or little birds for us in the cellar). Let us know when you have found a new little pal.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 3, 2014 8:21 am  #459

That is great to hear, Phantom! Being appreciated at work is soo important and in my opinion much underrated nowadays, so I'm happy you found that at your job!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 3, 2014 1:52 pm  #460

mrshouse wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, ag. Our kids would be devastated if ours died, although especially in the winter she is nothing but a fat, furry, lazy pain and does nothing for the money (apart fom decorating some mice or little birds for us in the cellar). Let us know when you have found a new little pal.

We need to appreciate every day we have with our pets-- and our kids and our spouses, too, for that matter. Every good day is a precious gift. The passing days run away from us like water down a mountain slope, seems like-- whoosh! Sometimes it's hard to remember to take a few moments and really feel gratitude for what we've got.

Thanks, I'll let you know when we get another kitty-- that will be good news, for sure!

Board footera