BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2014 3:02 am  #1

Mrs. Hudson Fan Fiction Tropes

I replayed The Network game yesterday and that got me thinking about Mrs. Hudson. There are a couple of tropes about her in fan fiction that seem to contradict what we see on screen.

The big one is that she is always cooking and baking for her boys. Now, we do see her do quite a bit of cooking, but there isn't much evidence of baking except the cake in ASIB. We know she buys biscuits rather than making them (TEH). We also know from both TBB and ASIB that she keeps very low food stores (has nothing but nibbles and stuff to make punch in the former and her fridge is practically bare in the latter).

So while I wouldn't say that fan fiction is exactly wrong about portraying Mrs. Hudson as the feeder of the boys, I don't think there's as much sneaking downstairs to raid her fridge or her coming upstairs with fresh baking as fan fiction writers seem to think...

The other trope I've seen is Mrs. Hudson as a primary caregiver of Mary and John's baby. The woman is an alcoholic who over indulges as well as a habitual pot smoker, not exactly childminding material! I can see her occasionally babysitting for a short period of time, preferably with Sherlock within earshot, but not being reliable for anything more than that. (I feel that I need to add that I don't think she's dysfunctional or that there is anything wrong with her tippling and indulging, just that her faculties are likely frequently impaired and make her unsuitable for childcare).

I love Mrs. Hudson and am so glad we got so much backstory on her in series three. Now, I want the full story of how she came to meet Sherlock in Florida of all places. Any writers here care to use that as a prompt?

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 13, 2014 6:24 am  #2

Re: Mrs. Hudson Fan Fiction Tropes

maryagrawatson wrote:

The other trope I've seen is Mrs. Hudson as a primary caregiver of Mary and John's baby. The woman is an alcoholic who over indulges as well as a habitual pot smoker, not exactly childminding material! I can see her occasionally babysitting for a short period of time, preferably with Sherlock within earshot, but not being reliable for anything more than that. (I feel that I need to add that I don't think she's dysfunctional or that there is anything wrong with her tippling and indulging, just that her faculties are likely frequently impaired and make her unsuitable for childcare).

I love Mrs. Hudson and am so glad we got so much backstory on her in series three. Now, I want the full story of how she came to meet Sherlock in Florida of all places. Any writers here care to use that as a prompt?

Mary

Hi, interesting topic!

Having Mrs Hudson baking is probably just a tool to add to that homey feeling she conveys (and is supposed to convey). It simply emphasizes her maternal feelings towards her tenants, which is likely why so many writers are using it. One needs to bear in mind of course that it's a prejudice that all elderly women like to cook and bake (and knit, perhaps), and don't do much else.

I'm not sure about the idea that she always keeps low food stores. When she didn't have any biscuits in TSoT, she said she'd run out, but in SiB, Sherlock helped himself to some pastry from her fridge, after all (which may or may not have been homemade), and when she made tea for John in TEH, she also had biscuits for him.
It doesn't seem likely that Mrs Hudson buys in large quantities simply because she has to carry everything home herself.

Where do you get the idea that she's an alcoholic, if I may ask? That's the first time I've heard about it, and it doesn't seem likely from what we've seen so far.

Last edited by Kerkerian (November 13, 2014 6:26 am)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

November 13, 2014 12:15 pm  #3

Mrs. Hudson from the canon definitely served food to Sherlock and John so this is where her image as a nurturing old lady starts.

In TBB, when John had that wretched rendez-vous with Sarah in 221B Baker Street, she came to John´s rescue and immediately gave him some food with which he could offer hospitality to his date. Similarily, in TSOT we found out that Mrs. Hudson frequently serves Sherlock tea in the morning and that she makes food for him. So it is very likely that she actually cooks and bakes something for Sherlock from time-to-time and that she cares that he is well fed (althrough he didn´t notices her little gentle care, being too absent-minded for that).

We only saw Mrs. Hudson drinking in an appropriate situations like Christmas of wedding-feast, so I don´t think she is an alcoholic (despite Sherlock´s nasty remark about her drinking from TSOT). Similarily, I believe she only digests some herbal soothers in order to have less pain from her hip. She definitely is not an addict and we never see her out of it like we see Sherlock sometimes.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 13, 2014 1:18 pm  #4

I've read some fics where she watches over the relationship, knowing ahead of them that they are meant to be together, so delighted when it finally happens, disapproving of John for marrying the wrong person and causing hurt to Sherlock - She's a custodian esp. for Sherlock, a cupid, a sibyl.

Last edited by Harriet (November 13, 2014 1:19 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 13, 2014 2:57 pm  #5

Magnussen analyses Mrs. Hudson as a 'semi-reformed alcoholic,' so I did not make that up!

We see her over indulge at least twice, the Christmas party in SIB and the wedding. The Network Game (which prompted this thread) also has her drinking copious amounts of sherry with her friends during their card games. Not sure if that's canon or not, but it happens in series three or later (John wearing his wedding ring and not living at 221B) and there's some great stuff in it that just really need to be canon!

As for her fridge, there might have been tarts and milk in it in SIB, but otherwise it looks very empty and she really didn't have much on hand in TBB by her own admission. I get that as my fridge always looks that way since I shop daily and don't entertain, but I'm not feeding two grown men in fan fiction either.

And if she's taking anything for her hip, whether it's pot or something prescribed, her cognitive facilities are being impaired a great deal of the time. I'm not a mother, but if I was, much as I know I'd love Mrs. Hudson if she was real, I'd find another childminder.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 13, 2014 2:59 pm  #6

Don't forget the Full English she cooked for John the morning after his stag night.  Even if he couldn't eat it.  *giggle*

Mrs. Hudson may not be the typical "old lady" but she most certainly feels maternal towards our boys.  I don't see her being a primary babysitter but I can see her loving the baby because one, baby! and two, John's baby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera