BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2014 8:51 pm  #1

Doctor Strange (spoilers)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 27, 2014 9:00 pm  #2

Re: Doctor Strange (spoilers)

On a various different sites I've read the same thing. So maybe, maybe...

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

October 27, 2014 9:06 pm  #3

I read about it too, but I think it's still a rumor as Marvel hasn't confirmed anything yet.

I wouldn't mind, I really like the Marvel stuff but I am a bit unsure when Benedict could be doing it. Next year is Sherlock, Hamlet and I think there were already one or two other movies planned in 2015.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 27, 2014 10:40 pm  #4

Well, if it is true, I am not particularly happy about it. Marvel means a huge time comitement and they usually want more than just one film.... I wouldn't like to see BC stuck into the franchise for the next five or ten years.

October 28, 2014 7:20 am  #5

This feels like STID all over again. Now Benedict is accused of whitewashing, of being a racist and stuff like that. Hell...
https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/doctor-strange

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 28, 2014 7:24 am  #6

If the rumour is true and it's what he wants, I'm happy for him.
However I would be a bit disappointed, if it means no Lost CIty of Z, which somebody was suggesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2014 12:04 pm  #7

I think he would be a good fit for Doctor Strange. 
The Marvel movies have all been very good to outstanding.
It's been a few years since STID so it wouldn't hurt for him to do another "blcokbuster" type movie.
He's done such a wide variety of roles and films, why not add a super hero to the list>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 28, 2014 12:13 pm  #8

SolarSystem wrote:

This feels like STID all over again. Now Benedict is accused of whitewashing, of being a racist and stuff like that. Hell...
https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/doctor-strange

This is getting really old now.
Obviously, some people have too much time at their hands and cannot spend it in a more positive way, no, they better spend it being ofended over trivialities, every day.
It seems to me Benedict Cumberbatch simply insults them by merely existing. Being a white guy is obviously a crime in itself nowadays.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 28, 2014 12:18 pm  #9

Yes, I agree. Nowadays it seems a sport to call people like him racists, homophobe, mysogynists, whatever is at hand and whatever your own personal agenda may be. And of course rubbing his nose in his privileged upbringing. Sigh. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 28, 2014 12:24 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, I agree. Nowadays it seems a sport to call people like him racists, homophobe, mysogynists, whatever is at hand and whatever your own personal agenda may be. And of course rubbing his nose in his privileged upbringing. Sigh. 

Precisely. As if it was something unheard of and shameful that an Englishman is born with a white skin (certainly something shocking in the UK!) and as if it was some kind of crime to study at Harrow and not at some ghetto school. Certainly, if his critics were parents themselves, they would send their own children to some trash school instead of a good schooling facility, if they could choose. Hypocrites!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 28, 2014 4:56 pm  #11

Well, some people wouldn't use fee paying schools on principle, even if they coul afford to...but that's another matter.
Nobody gets to choose the school their parents send them to,.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 29, 2014 3:28 pm  #12

Some of the people crying white washing are justm parroting crap other people have said.  There is plenty of racism, sexism, homophobia, ect in this world.  There are plenty of bigots in this world (here in the USA claiming that they are "being persecuted for having a different opinion")  But Benedict has been someone who has consistently spoken out against (whether he was kidding or not, his suggestion about smoking out all of the bigots by making the next two Presidents be a woman and a gay man to smoke out the rest of the bigots was a great idea).  He performed a marriage for a same sex couple.  He's worked to help people with various afflictions.  He even expressed his less than favorable opinion of a certain name for his fans because he doesn't want to use a certain word to describe women.
With so many actual bigots in the world, people don't need to be slamming someone who is clearly the opposite of bigoted like the Batch.  He's a white guy who was cast as a white comic book character.  Sure they could have gone with someone not white and it would be fine, but it's certainly not a disaster that (should he take the part) he'll be great.  If he was a terrible white actor (like Tom Cruise or the cast of the Expendables) who got the part over someone who was a terrific actor who happened to be Hispanic, Oriental, ect then the calls of white washing and racism would be justified.
As far as those who parrot the demand for more diversity everytime they see another white character on screen, why don't they seek out and support films and TV shows that have characters who are not hetro male WASPs as the lead.  They exist, but unfortunately studios don't think there is a demand so the films get art house distribution with little publicity.  Why don't people try seeking out and promoting those films?  They could tweet and tumble links to the websites for the films and they dates they will come to various cities.  That would be showing that there is an actual demand for diversity and not just a bunch of attention seeking parrots on tumblr.

I hope that Benedict will be in parts 3 and 4 of the Avengers.  I'm always wanted to see him work with Joss Whedon.  I want Loki to be there too, then we can watch Benedict go head to head with Hiddles, RDJ, Chadwick Boseman, Chris Evans. Hemsworth, Anthony Mackie (Falcon needs to be in the Avengers, he is too awesome) ect.  That would be epic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

November 2, 2014 8:38 pm  #13

Just going to put this here

Does anyone know what interview this is, and possibly have a link? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 2, 2014 8:42 pm  #14

Cute! Thank you, Phantom! 

December 4, 2014 10:50 pm  #15

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 5, 2014 7:48 am  #16

Why should it draw him away? He has always had other projects in between and series 4 is going to happen. I am sure he would stop doing Sherlock the moment he could not do anything else anymore. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2014 10:25 am  #17

Excited about this! He'll be just perfect!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 5, 2014 10:49 am  #18

Davina wrote:

Excited about this! He'll be just perfect!

My thoughts exactly.. really looking forward to this! 

December 5, 2014 11:56 am  #19

And of course the whining starts too.  The one I really don't understand is the uproar over Marvel not casting a person of color for Doctor Strange.  To the best of my knowledge he was not a person of color in the comics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 5, 2014 5:46 pm  #20

The poster is brilliant!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera