BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2014 5:35 am  #21

Re: Benedict talks about Sherlock & Sex

@Schmiezi: I have a feeling these days that people will get angry at just everything he says and does..

@Besley: Well, welcome to planet earth, where people get off on the thought of Sherlock's violinist hands doing just the right things.. just an ancient earthling-custom, nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Zatoichi (October 30, 2014 5:43 am)

October 30, 2014 6:54 am  #22

Firstly, can I reiterate I thought THAT WAS THE WHOLE INTREVIEW.
Secondly, such discussion of Sherlock(for me) reduces it to 5o Shades of Grey, which it isn't.
Whatever happened to brainy is the new sexy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 30, 2014 7:16 am  #23

People are getting angry? Again? So it is a good thing I am not on twitter.

I like the interview, although is was more a narrative piece, like that once Caitlin Moran did once, save for the Sherlock & sex bit.
I liked Sherlock-sex-performance description because it shows, too me, just how much thought he invests in his characters, analyses them and understands them.  It is logical to suppose Sherlock would approach sex the same way he approached being best man for John: something he has never done before but what he just HAS to do better then everyone else, lol

October 30, 2014 7:29 am  #24

I agree, what Benedict said was good...
But the question was inappropriate for Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 30, 2014 7:37 am  #25

Of course he would have to be better than anyone else! 

Yes, I know you thought it was the whole interview, Besleybean, and I can see why, because that part was printed separately to the rest of the interview for some reason. (I wish that they'd printed his 11 minute Hamlet rant separately as well for us.  I would have loved to hear more about his take on the character!   But I suppose it's not so easy to sell as Sherlock and sex - we'll hopefully hear more next year).  I don't the question is inappropriate, not if Benedict was relaxed and comfortable about it.  It IS about his interpretation of the character, and Sherlock being outwardly asexual is bound to raise questions about his sexuality.   Making a point of it (as they do in the series) actually brings it to the fore, I think.

I'm sure Benedict knows the effect his words would have on some of us, and he's playing with that, and it IS funny (so has to be taken with a pinch of salt).   But I think that, again, he's challenging people's views of the character too - the misconceptions that Sherlock is asexual, that he'd be overly clinical, overly awkward, cold, unenthusiastic, etc.   I don't think he's reducing it to 50 Shades if you read between the lines. 

What are people getting angry about, or is it best not to ask? 

Last edited by Liberty (October 30, 2014 7:56 am)

October 30, 2014 7:51 am  #26

Schmiezi wrote:

I still don't understand how that part of the interview can make people angry or something. I mean, it's just an adult, talking about sex.
Fictional sex.

( As one of my favourite pupils would say, "Hello. The 50ies called, they want their prudery back...")

I totally agree. I do laugh about this part of the interview. And I love it that Benedict isn't "clean" and a "good boy" like so many people want him to be. Wouldn't it be boring by and by?
Heavens, my time is too precious to fuss about things like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 30, 2014 8:29 am  #27

Maybe we could agree that every reader responds differently to articles and interviews, and that maybe it's not all that nice to call people who enjoy reading what Benedict has to say about Sherlock and sex and find it a tiny bit sexy 'freaky'. We certainly don't have to have the same opinion about it, but 'freaky'...? 

I have to admit that I don't need Benedict to talk about Sherlock and sex - but it was quite entertaining nonetheless. I agree with everyone who says that his answers were as clever as usual and that he knows exactly what's gonna happen when he says such things. What's not to love about that?

@Schmiezi: I think that pupil would be one of my favourite pupils, as well. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (October 30, 2014 8:33 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 30, 2014 8:30 am  #28

Not to mention that he just gave his fans a perfect fanfiction material.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 30, 2014 8:31 am  #29

Not quite sure about that, nakahara 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 30, 2014 8:48 am  #30

People were able to write elaborate stories based on short sentences like "Sherlock and John floating in space handcuffed". I doubt this long description of Sherlock doing naughty things would leave them cold.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 30, 2014 9:01 am  #31

Of course creativity is unlimited, esp here    I still think the "Sherlock and John floating in space handcuffed" thing is more interesting material, though 

Last edited by Harriet (October 30, 2014 9:02 am)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 30, 2014 9:03 am  #32

Oh, I think everything can be adjusted to Johnlock, if one really wants to.

October 30, 2014 9:16 am  #33

Not just a matter of Johnlock, but, right, let's see 

October 30, 2014 12:06 pm  #34

I found the Sexpart of that Interview a few minutes ago and have to admit I feel somehow not realy good with it.
Sure...
I never thought about Sherlock beeing a virgin .Nor did I thought that Sherlock would do nothing less than little experiments with a rubber or lub.
I am quite sure he knows to play a body like a violine..men or woman (my humble opinion he did both).
But somehow..the last sentences of BC let Sherlock look like a masochist or a ..or did I something wrong?!

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

October 30, 2014 12:11 pm  #35

I'm also not too happy with it - but which lines are you referring to?

October 30, 2014 12:17 pm  #36

Specialy about he sentences that zhere would be a dark area...
I would like to HEAR him saying those stuff, only to know he tone he said that.

You know...For me it sounds like BC is explaining SH as someone who would just "play"his partner as far as he can, only to get controll...he self will never be that trustful to let go .
So I got two opinions in my head:
First : SH gets his kinks by controlling his partners.
Two: SH is not able to enjoy sex, cause He can't loose control

Last edited by Draconia (October 30, 2014 12:19 pm)

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

October 30, 2014 12:24 pm  #37

I thought the whole interview was great.  I thought the sex part was hot and funny.

I think Benedict should talk about sex and Sherlock more often. 
I think he should record an audiobook for Joy of Sex. 
I think he should narrate sex education films. 

Ok.  I'll leave now.

*heads for the cold shower*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 30, 2014 12:28 pm  #38

Draconia:

ELLE UK: But does he ever lose control?
BC: So in sex, would he lose control? I think to have really good sex he would probably have to.
ELLE UK: So he’d decide to lose control. He’d make a controlled decision?
BC: This is a very dark alley we’re going down. No pun intended. Um, Yeah. Yeah. If it was necessary yes, yes. Very much so.

Actually, I'm not sure what exactly he is meaning to say here. I didn't think of sub/dom allusions here at all.
Even not with the dark alley which could also mean that it's difficult to tell what is there.
Your second idea makes more sense to me, losing control is one of Sherlock's issues.
But I wonder if Benedict is actually sure about his opinion here, he seems switching. Making some fun also. Doesn't seem like a really rock-solid statement to me.

As a Johnlocker I kept Sherlock's other side also in mind and could not keep myself from thinking: So this is how Benedict imagines it would be with a woman 

Last edited by Harriet (October 30, 2014 12:30 pm)

October 30, 2014 12:30 pm  #39

To me the whole conversation sounds like a playful banter that should not be taken too seriously, but that is hot anyway.
And it shows that like his fans, Benedict can play with the character of Sherlock either.

October 30, 2014 12:31 pm  #40

Well I recogniced that little personal identification issue too lol

S.H

Board footera