BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2014 4:56 pm  #161

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

So can we agree that fics should be posted completely but can (and probably have to be) split over several posts?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 28, 2014 5:15 pm  #162

Sounds perfect to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 28, 2014 5:46 pm  #163

Same here.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

October 28, 2014 7:44 pm  #164

Yeah, that's fine for me as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 28, 2014 9:19 pm  #165

I'm fine with it, too, if it is for everybody else.

Schmiezi, how are we doing this - will you let us know in advance on what day the story written to our own prompt will be posted? Or will it come as a surprise for everyone whose turn it is?

I'm sorry that I keep asking silly questions, but I wasn't there last year...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

October 29, 2014 5:21 am  #166

There are no silly questions, dear.

Well, no, there are. We teachers are shamelessly lying when telling you otherwise. But yours isn't one of them.

Last year it was a complete surprise I think, and I would like to stick to that.

BTW, you can all start sending me your fics as soon as they are finished. I for one still haven't written down a single word, but there is heavy plotting going on at the moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 29, 2014 8:33 am  #167

My story is going on quite well. But I have to check if it still fits with the prompts I got.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

November 3, 2014 2:37 am  #168

I literally just started writing, but I've gotten three pages into it and nothing's really happened yet. Silly me I kept changing my mind on what I wanted to do, because everything I could think of involving my prompt had what my requester DIDN'T want to read! Bah! However, I found a golden opportunity! I didn't think I'd be going as AU as I am, but hey; more fun for me! 

Glad the deadline's in a month, though. It took me a while to get my thoughts in order. And the research! 

November 3, 2014 7:33 am  #169

My first draft is ready. The longest thing I ever wrote in English. Phew! 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 3, 2014 7:55 am  #170

I still don't have a title for my story.

(Tony Hadley)

November 3, 2014 1:07 pm  #171

gently69 wrote:

My story and I have parted ways, somehow. I hope we can mend our problems soon, because it's only nearly-but-not-entirely finished. I have in the meantime begun another story, as true procrastination experts will understand (I'll post the link to it in the "Fanfics by forum members" thread in shameless self advertisement, if anyone is interested).

Last edited by Kerkerian (November 3, 2014 1:08 pm)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 3, 2014 1:15 pm  #172

Well done, everyone!

I almost got sidetracked like you, Kerkerian - into writing my own prompt!!!   Can't have that, now, can we???

But I'm beautifully back on track now with my secret prompter's wonderful prompt. I swear she was reading my thoughts when she requested it. Or Schmiezi, who gave it to me, was. Or someone. Mycroft, probably.

gently69 wrote:

Neither have I! But the title is usually the very last thing I come up with, so I'm not worried just yet.

Kerkerian - looks very nice, the one with the dog. Bookmarked for when I have time to read it.

Last edited by La Jolie (November 3, 2014 1:21 pm)

November 3, 2014 1:23 pm  #173

La Jolie wrote:

Kerkerian - looks very nice, the one with the dog. Bookmarked for when I have time to read it.

No sweat!

November 9, 2014 2:57 am  #174

It is too late to join, isn't it? I am having no luck.

November 10, 2014 1:59 pm  #175

YukinaKid, I'm afraid it really is to late.

Btw, last year we all prefixed our fics with a little message to the recipient - are we going to do this this year as well? Have we already talked about this? Because I can't remember...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 10, 2014 2:47 pm  #176

I would love it if there would be a little explanation by the writer, so every body knows what your prompt was for example.

November 11, 2014 10:48 am  #177

I'd want to know what the prompt was for each fic, too! It'll be really interesting to see what people have made of them.

And I suppose the writers can add normal Author's Notes to their stories, too, if they feel it to be necessary?

Do we add a summary, as well? Or would it be more interesting for the readers to just read the prompt and then the story, without any hints as to where the story will take the prompt?

Sorry, YukinaKid.  You can always read the fics once Schmiezi starts posting them, though.

November 11, 2014 11:49 am  #178

I think stating the prompt and giving some notes if ncessary is fine but I would prefer not to get a summary as it could spoil the fun or suspense. 

November 11, 2014 12:15 pm  #179

Also, it might be helpful to keep the required effort as small as possible, I know what I'm talking about, time is precious ...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 11, 2014 5:29 pm  #180

Is there anywhere we could pick up beta readers?

Board footera