BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2014 10:11 am  #1

Are you fated or do you choose?

Okay, disclaimer first. This is not a religious question.

Just generally speaking, how do you feel about your life? Do you see where you are now as more or less what's meant to be is what's meant to be; or do you see where you are right now in this moment to be the result of conscious choices leading up to now?

Last edited by saturnR (October 21, 2014 10:13 am)

October 21, 2014 12:07 pm  #2

Re: Are you fated or do you choose?

I'm a firm believer of "what's meant to be is what's meant to be". Sure, our brain and the way we see and experience the world we live in makes us believe we actually do have a choice, but I think that every single choice we made and still make are meant to be. That sort of thing could also be called fate or destiny and some might say it's far too easy to just believe in that rather than try and make something happen. But then, the people who try to make a change in whatever are meant to do exactly that. right?

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

October 21, 2014 3:23 pm  #3

Re: Are you fated or do you choose?

Fate didn't like me, so I started choosing :-) (or I just wasn't very fond of fate, who knows)
But I still believe there is a path just for each one of us, and whenever we cross it or walk along it for a while, life becomes easy. I just think people are really good at making things far more complicated than they need to be. Me included.

Last edited by Whisky (October 21, 2014 3:25 pm)

"It is what it is."

Board footera