BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2014 4:53 pm  #1

Moffat's early work

I've looked through past posting and I didn't see any threads in regards to the work that Moffat did before Doctor Who and Sherlock. I know he did a children's show called "Press Gang", a sitcom called Coupling, and a mini-series called Jekyll (which along with Coupling was produced by Hartwood Films).

So has anyone seen any of these shows? Are they worth checking out?

October 1, 2014 5:05 pm  #2

Re: Moffat's early work

I fell in love with "Coupling" at first watch.  Long before I discovered Sherlock.  Found it fascinating when I learned of the Moffat connection.

Now when I watch Moffat and his wife together I see "Steve and Susan."   *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 1, 2014 10:33 pm  #3

'Coupling' was one of the first British series I watched (apart from 'The Mighty Boosh' and 'Doctor Who') and I still love it! I'm also a huge fan of Jack Davenport and I love his portray of Steve, so when I learned that a lot of it was about Steven and Sue, I thought it was hilarious.
And then I realized that this was the same guy that was responsible for some of my favourite Doctor Who episodes and that made it even better. :D

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

March 23, 2016 2:17 am  #4

So has anyone watched "Jekyll"? I'm thinking of giving it a go, but I would have to commit to buying the DVD to get hold of it, as my library doesn't have it and there appears to be no other way to watch it (online or whatever).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 27, 2016 10:16 am  #5

I'm just watching season 2 of Coupling again, and I'd forgotten about this funny connection
http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/129178360160/wanda-ventham-is-real-life-mother-to-benedict

Last edited by ukaunz (March 27, 2016 10:16 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 1, 2016 12:10 pm  #6

Coupling is absolutely hilarious, and quite innovative and experimental.  There's one episode where you see the same scenario  replayed from different character viewpoints, I recall.  Then again, his early Who episodes were quite experimental also!  

November 1, 2016 2:45 pm  #7

Press Gang was on TV here on Norway back in the 90s. I remember enjoying it quite a bit, but I as only a teenager myself. Not sure how well it would hold up today.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera