BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2014 8:37 pm  #2181

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

We all seem to be getting a tad lost with each other's thought processes here...
John at least had a sexual relationship with Mary,,,
We don't know what will happen when she goes...
John will need Sherlock for support, but it won;t transform into a smilar relationship to that of John and Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 30, 2014 8:37 pm  #2182

Liberty:
Well, then we agree on quite a lot of points. Fine. As yet it is of course unfulfilled but as you say, it might change. There have been a lot of impediments after all and this is a long storytelling arc.One can wish for this to happen or not but the possibility is there. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 30, 2014 8:38 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2014 8:38 pm  #2183

besleybean wrote:

John will need Sherlock for support, but it won;t transform into a smilar relationship to that of John and Mary.

Hopefully.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 30, 2014 8:39 pm  #2184

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2014 8:40 pm  #2185

There will alway be love, but never sex or even desire..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 30, 2014 8:42 pm  #2186

Why do you always state your opinions as facts?

September 30, 2014 8:43 pm  #2187

Well, who cares, we all know that all our opinions are just opinions and not facts, even if they are stated as facts.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 30, 2014 8:49 pm  #2188

I state things as I believe them to be.
What on Earth is the point of doing otherwise?
Anyhow, I also defer to what the actors and writers have all said,.

September 30, 2014 8:55 pm  #2189

Like Martin: "It’s the gayest story in the history of television… People certainly run with that, which I’m quite happy with!"

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 30, 2014 8:56 pm  #2190

IMO It is a difference if you say "I think/suppose/believe they will not do this or that" or "they will not do this or that". You do not use the word "believe". 

Yes, Harriet, that was what came to my mind as well. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 30, 2014 8:56 pm)

September 30, 2014 9:00 pm  #2191

Well one day we'll find out one way or another.

September 30, 2014 9:04 pm  #2192

You don't like Martin to say that, right? 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 30, 2014 9:20 pm  #2193

Harriet wrote:

Like Martin: "It’s the gayest story in the history of television… People certainly run with that, which I’m quite happy with!"

What do you think that means, though?   Would he say that if they were actually lovers?  I don't think so, myself.   Is this another British humour difference? .

I can't speak for Martin, obviously, but other things lead me to believe that he doesn't believe the characters are gay.   These are two men who love each other, living together, with a special relationship - the obvious conclusion people jump to is "gay", and we see that all the time in the series.  Martin seems to be open to people seeing what they want to see, but doesn't claim to be playing them as lovers:
“If you want to think that they’re secretly in love with each other, then you can,” Freeman says. “But we’ve never played anything like that. I don’t really think they are, but there’s enough of that for people to see it if they want. I think they’re just really interested in each other because they give something to the other that is lacking in their life.”

September 30, 2014 9:27 pm  #2194

He says here he is happy that people discover the gayness in the show.
Already Lovers or In the Process of Becoming Lovers, doesn't matter, to me, anymore.

October 1, 2014 5:08 am  #2195

Liberty wrote:

Of course a friendship can become sexual, and it could still be special, of course, but the nature of the relationship would change if there was a load of sexual tension, and unfulfilled lust and longing.   I suppose that's one of the differences - I think there are points when they are fulfilled when they're together.  I don't think there's something missing (at the moment, anyway).    But all I'm really saying is that I don't see the sex on the show - I see it alluded to, of course, but I don't see us being shown sexual attraction. 

The nature of relationships change all the time, and the nature of Sherlock's and John's relationship has changed during those three series, as well. Just take S3, they definitely have a different relationship now than they had in S1/S2. Sexuality coming into play will certainly change their relationship once again, but why should it inevitably be a change for the worse? It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but nothing ever is, so... that's how it goes.
And I don't think that anybody said anything about "unfulfilled lust and longing" - where does that even come from? When sexuality comes into play, there still are lots of possibilities in which to show this. But since you mentioned the "longing": in my opinion they are longing for each other already. I see it. If others don't see it, so be it. 

October 1, 2014 5:43 am  #2196

I would be interested to hear in what ways people think Sherlock and John's relationship has changed.
What immediately springs to my mind is that there is a little less hero worship from John now...tho even up to the CAM shooting, he seemed to expect Sherlock to ' have a plan'.
Last series was difficult because there was so much to fit in, with the Reunion, the marriage, new villain etc...John seems keen to get back to work with Sherlock and he had massive personal issues to deal with over his thought loss of Sherlock...

Last edited by besleybean (October 1, 2014 5:44 am)

October 1, 2014 6:38 am  #2197

This is quite obvious to me: Sherlock's behaviour towards John has changed drastically, especially in TSoT. He is willing to compromise, he goes out of his way to make John's wedding as perfect as possible although he himself is not happy. The moment with the chair, the "into battle", the phone call (!) to Mycroft, his face when talking about Sholto, him openly acknowledging his feelings in a room full of people, the intimacy of the stag night (and I not just talking about the knee thing), his face on the dance floor … this is a behaviour nobody would have expected from Sherlock in series 1 or 2. 
And so not even get me started on HLV. But I think you either want to read between the lines (as interpreters of film and literature have been doing for ages) or you don't. 

October 1, 2014 6:50 am  #2198

SolarSystem wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Of course a friendship can become sexual, and it could still be special, of course, but the nature of the relationship would change if there was a load of sexual tension, and unfulfilled lust and longing.   I suppose that's one of the differences - I think there are points when they are fulfilled when they're together.  I don't think there's something missing (at the moment, anyway).    But all I'm really saying is that I don't see the sex on the show - I see it alluded to, of course, but I don't see us being shown sexual attraction. 

The nature of relationships change all the time, and the nature of Sherlock's and John's relationship has changed during those three series, as well. Just take S3, they definitely have a different relationship now than they had in S1/S2. Sexuality coming into play will certainly change their relationship once again, but why should it inevitably be a change for the worse? It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but nothing ever is, so... that's how it goes.
And I don't think that anybody said anything about "unfulfilled lust and longing" - where does that even come from? When sexuality comes into play, there still are lots of possibilities in which to show this. But since you mentioned the "longing": in my opinion they are longing for each other already. I see it. If others don't see it, so be it. 

I see longing to be together, but not longing for something that's missing from their relationship (the sexual aspect).  Of course there would be unfulfilled lust and longing if they really wanted each other but weren't having each other.  Being so close to the object of desire would be stressful rather than soothing.   (For most people).  I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, but just that I don't see it going on just now.  (And judging from what the actors have said, they are not acting sexual longing). 

Of course, if they did develop a sexual attraction later, I hope they would consummate it, because there's no reason for them not to*(with the set-up we've been given it would take some complicated writing to create barriers to it).  Then it would be a fulfilled relationship .    If anything, it might be easier that way, not "worse".  It's a more conventional type of relationship, all relationship needs would be fulfilled, they could even get married or have a family if that was a need for them.  These are very different times to ACD's.

(*Sherlock's attitude to love being the only barrier ... but of course, ACD's Sherlock has the same attitude and many believe that he and Watson were lovers.  It is a self-imposed barrier, after all, and something he could alter in the right circumstances). 

Last edited by Liberty (October 1, 2014 7:00 am)

October 1, 2014 3:57 pm  #2199

Interesting comments on sex @ relationships...but theres got to be a bigger picture...I think there always is.

The John/Mary relationship when paralleled with John/Sherlock...comes off badly...it's another society bash?

John has a string of meaningless sex and relationships and ends up drifting into marriage with a baby on the way and tied to a woman he barely knows...an exaggeration of the modern take on meaningless sex and relationships......and all of it a bit not good.
Usually they resolve arcs like this...the not good and the good.

The way Marys attemped murder/Shooting Sherlock was contrasted with Sherlocks murder...
Mary..selfish/flimsy motives/collateral damage/alternative options./not good.
Sherlock.....wider reaching motives nationally /minimal chan5ce collateral damage / no alternatives.....so ok bit good
The not good shown.....as good....the bigger point/picture of course government assasinations and collateral damage...how to how not to.
They did the same thing with the media...Kitty Riley / Magnusson......expose the bad...provide the solution...bigger point/picture here being get rid of the too powerfull corrupt media moguls..information is free anyway....etc this is what they are doing.
The guide to the metamorphosis.....a great society  becoming a good society....

So I wonder...at sex and relationships....they did the John/Mary not good bash.......whats the bigger picture...the good....the right way.....for Sherlock to solve/find....because personally I think an endlesssly platonic but definatly loving friendship.......doesn't solve the bigger picture problem.....the oversexualised sexually corrupt society Sex Q needs a good Sherlockian solution...because the sex ed classes that went.....just don't do it....didn't work.....obviously.

Last edited by lil (October 1, 2014 4:01 pm)

October 1, 2014 5:18 pm  #2200

But although BBC Sherlock is about the loving friendship of these two men..it's not really about sex.
It's about their frankly ridiculous adventures.

Last edited by besleybean (October 1, 2014 5:18 pm)

Board footera