BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2014 9:52 pm  #2121

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Liberty wrote:

It's interesting that you mentioned that people have different views on Benedict's attractiveness.  I think he's been deliberately made very attractive for Sherlock (I do think he's gorgeous anyway, but I don't think the way he looks in Sherlock is an accident).  Even people who don't normally find him attractive can find him attractive in Sherlock.   There seem to be so many references to attractive heroes, whether it's film noir detectives or Heathcliff on the moors.  I'm sure that must be an influence - because he's presented as so attractive, it's difficult (for us) to imagine why John wouldn't find him attractive in that way too. 

Oh, I very much agree with you on this!
Most actors nowadays leave me absolutely cold but Benedict in his Sherlock costume worked like an eletricity on me! Such an unearthly beauty!
Yes, bisexual or not, John would have to be blind not to notice how attractive his companion is.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 18, 2014 4:20 am  #2122

I just noticed that my interpretation is completely based on my living and growing up in a western country where equal rights for gay people are more or less common since decades (not that there´s no struggle anymore, but noone has to fear oppression or even physical violence as in other countries). If the story played in such a country or if I myself would see repression all around me I would certainly see it completely different, and that probably also explains why so many people worldwide interpret it that way and set their hopes into it becoming gay representation. It probably didn´t become political just because of shipping preferences but because the running jokes and the tension are only fun and games as long as you see it in the context of a tolerant society.. it makes me sad and humbled to think about the struggles so many people still have to go through.. and almost hope I´m wrong about the direction of the show..

September 18, 2014 5:54 am  #2123

That's a good point, Zatoichi.  I've seen massive changes in my lifetime in the area of gay rights (and I think gay rights concern all of us) in the UK.   Homophobia is still an issue but it's now (publicly) disapproved of, and this makes me happy . I sure that the writers have no intention to minimise what happens in other countries (or in the UK, still to some extent - I'm not claiming things are perfect here).  But there has long been a complaint that gay stories on film tend to be negative - that they show people being conflicted about their sexuality or even dying.   I think it's good and positive to show a more positive side, and think Sherlock reflects the change in attitudes in a positive way.  For me watching, from a UK perspective, it would now be shocking if, for instance, Mrs Hudson started making homophobic comments.  

I can understand why people would be disappointed that the writers didn't choose such an obvious couple to show as gay.  I'm a little bit surprised myself, I have to admit.   It would have been a nice opportunity to show a happy gay couple in a non-homophobic environment.   But I like what they've done with the friendship.  It's more meaningful to me, personally.  I'm also reasonably happy with the tensions and imperfections in the relationship, and feel that they work better in the special friendship we're shown than they would in a conventional sexual relationship (as if Sherlock would ever have a conventional relationship, but you know what I mean).   The lack of communication, for instance, is something that I think works well in a friendship but I wouldn't like so much in a conventional relationship.  The banter, as well. It would be a dysfunctional relationship, if it wasn't for the fact that it functions.

Nakahara, yes, he does seem to have that electric effect!  I can't help identifying a little with Molly sometimes, being so enthralled by him.  I thought it was interesting that they set up her character like that right at the beginning as Sherlock is being introduced, perhaps just to show us how compelling Sherlock is.  We see him through her eyes.  Through Irene's a bit as well.  (Through John's too, but that's a given, being the basis for the ACD stories!). 

(It's strange, because I think Benedict is actually more attractive as himself than he is as Sherlock.  I was trying to work out why, and I think it's because his face is so open, whereas Sherlock's is so often closed.  But there's still some sort of X factor that makes Sherlock devastating in a different way.  It's not there when Benedict's in costume as Sherlock, but not acting him). 

Last edited by Liberty (September 18, 2014 6:39 am)

September 18, 2014 5:56 am  #2124

Not entirtely sure about your final comment, Zatoichi, but I can certainly empathise with the sentiment of your post.
If no British people didn't get the gay joke thing, I would almost wonder if there was a wider cultural issue...maybe it's partly a generational thing.
The wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more humoir is so imbedded in traditional British humour...coupled with the legendary speculation about the Holmes-Watson relationship...
It baffles me why people don't see what Mark and Steven did,
Mark being out gay in a(then)fairly tolerant society and with his humor was happy to indulge.
I think the deep, loving friendship between these 2 men muddies the water for some.
I just think it's sad that so many people seem unaware that some men are lucky enouh to enjoy these kind of loving friendships...what a bleak world some inhabit.

Last edited by besleybean (September 18, 2014 6:08 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 18, 2014 7:13 am  #2125

Liberty wrote:

Nakahara, yes, he does seem to have that electric effect!  I can't help identifying a little with Molly sometimes, being so enthralled by him.  I thought it was interesting that they set up her character like that right at the beginning as Sherlock is being introduced, perhaps just to show us how compelling Sherlock is.  We see him through her eyes.  Through Irene's a bit as well.  (Through John's too, but that's a given, being the basis for the ACD stories!). 

(It's strange, because I think Benedict is actually more attractive as himself than he is as Sherlock.  I was trying to work out why, and I think it's because his face is so open, whereas Sherlock's is so often closed.  But there's still some sort of X factor that makes Sherlock devastating in a different way.  It's not there when Benedict's in costume as Sherlock, but not acting him). 

I find Molly´s behaviour around him very belivable and understandable. Who would behave differently if they met such a beautiful specimen of male on a regular basis? And yes, she was probably introduced into the story precisely for that effect.

Well, Sherlock has an obnoxious older brother with an even better gift at deduction that he has himself, so if he want to have at least of semblance of privacy, he must wear that poker face most of the time. (Ben as himself doesn´t have the same need). But Sherlock looking unapproachable that way also makes him all the more desirable - it kinda provokes the audience into wanting him all the more.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 18, 2014 7:21 am  #2126

nakahara wrote:

But Sherlock looking unapproachable that way also makes him all the more desirable - it kinda provokes the audience into wanting him all the more.

And it probably provokes people who do see Johnlock in the show into wanting John to want him all the more. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 18, 2014 7:24 am  #2127

SolarSystem wrote:

nakahara wrote:

But Sherlock looking unapproachable that way also makes him all the more desirable - it kinda provokes the audience into wanting him all the more.

And it probably provokes people who do see Johnlock in the show into wanting John to want him all the more. 

Of, course!
That´s goes without question.

September 18, 2014 7:25 am  #2128

Liberty wrote:

But I like what they've done with the friendship.  It's more meaningful to me, personally.  I'm also reasonably happy with the tensions and imperfections in the relationship, and feel that they work better in the special friendship we're shown than they would in a conventional sexual relationship (as if Sherlock would ever have a conventional relationship, but you know what I mean).   The lack of communication, for instance, is something that I think works well in a friendship but I wouldn't like so much in a conventional relationship.  The banter, as well. It would be a dysfunctional relationship, if it wasn't for the fact that it functions.

Yes, I think everybody likes how their friendship was handled. But , oh my gosh, I don't know how many times we have discussed why a sexual relationship is shallow and conventional and spoils the fun here where as a friendship alone is deep and meaningful and always more fulfilling. Don't get this point at all. And also a friendly reminder that most Johnlockers hardly talk about explicite pictures and nude shower scenes but about commitment to the one and only without another character in the way who is written for many fans in an implausible way, not only the Johnlockers.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2014 7:26 am  #2129

nakahara wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Of, course!

The OTHER thread, girls, the OTHER thread...

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2014 7:28 am  #2130

mrshouse wrote:

nakahara wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Of, course!

The OTHER thread, girls, the OTHER thread...

Of course, mrshouse... sorryyyyyyy.... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 18, 2014 7:32 am  #2131

You're not, Solar...
I know you for real

September 18, 2014 7:40 am  #2132

Damn it.

September 18, 2014 10:53 am  #2133

besleybean wrote:

Not entirtely sure about your final comment, Zatoichi, but I can certainly empathise with the sentiment of your post.
If no British people didn't get the gay joke thing, I would almost wonder if there was a wider cultural issue...maybe it's partly a generational thing.
The wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more humoir is so imbedded in traditional British humour...coupled with the legendary speculation about the Holmes-Watson relationship...
It baffles me why people don't see what Mark and Steven did,
Mark being out gay in a(then)fairly tolerant society and with his humor was happy to indulge.
I think the deep, loving friendship between these 2 men muddies the water for some.
I just think it's sad that so many people seem unaware that some men are lucky enouh to enjoy these kind of loving friendships...what a bleak world some inhabit.

Not entirely sure about it myself, but.. well. I hope the central point I was trying to make came across. 

I think your post points to the heart of the matter - I couldn´t quite pinpoint it myself as I´m not British, but that´s exactly what I felt was happening. Them using the legendary speculations about the two of them plus an imbedded element of British humour.. I think that´s what Mark meant when he said "That’s just obviously such fun to play with, and the fact that people now assume—in a very positive way—that they’re together is a different joke to it being a negative connotation."
For me it works beautifully, and I feel very protective about them if some fans seem to feel justified to start a riot or to accuse them of poking fun at gay people just because of something that´s obviously a misunderstanding of their humour and background.

Liberty wrote:

But there has long been a complaint that gay stories on film tend to be negative - that they show people being conflicted about their sexuality or even dying.   I think it's good and positive to show a more positive side, and think Sherlock reflects the change in attitudes in a positive way. 

I came across a blog run by a gay person lately, who said just that - that he or she (don´t remember) didn´t want to be represented by their relationship because it´s not what positive representation looks like. I think what Sherlockt does represent, and very unconflicted and for everyone to see and learn from, is an environment completely free of homophobia. That´s something very valuable in itself, even when (or especially when) watched from other more repressed countries.

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 18, 2014 11:22 am)

September 18, 2014 6:18 pm  #2134

Yes, I think it is.  And one way they make the non-homophobia explicit is through the jokes, I think.  I really don't like Mrs Hudson going on and on at John about being gay when he's trying to tell her about getting married, but one thing she isn't being is homophobic.  Heterophobic, maybe - but that's kind of funny (if justifiably annoying for John).  I liked that John and Sherlock's lack of homophobia is established very early on too.  

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I find Molly´s behaviour around him very belivable and understandable. Who would behave differently if they met such a beautiful specimen of male on a regular basis? And yes, she was probably introduced into the story precisely for that effect.

Well, Sherlock has an obnoxious older brother with an even better gift at deduction that he has himself, so if he want to have at least of semblance of privacy, he must wear that poker face most of the time. (Ben as himself doesn´t have the same need). But Sherlock looking unapproachable that way also makes him all the more desirable - it kinda provokes the audience into wanting him all the more.

Oh, it definitely does!  I couldn't agree more.  Especially with the emotion underneath that we get occasional glimpses of.  I hadn't thought of him developing that mask as a shield against Mycroft, but I kind of like the idea. 

I feel for Molly and want to tell her to get a grip, because it reminds me too much of myself!  I went completely gaga over somebody years ago, and it was extremely obvious in a big way.   I did end up in a relationship with him, but looking back was always embarassing (and he reminded me about it now and then, the cad).  If I hadn't got together with him, it would have been even worse!   But I don't think Molly always knows how obvious she is. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 18, 2014 6:24 pm)

September 18, 2014 8:41 pm  #2135

Oh I think she does...but she now accepts she and Sherlock will only ever be friends.

Last edited by besleybean (September 18, 2014 8:41 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 18, 2014 9:19 pm  #2136

Yes, I think she does accept it, but I don't think she's over him.   It seems a bit cruel to have her pining all those years.  I like her adoration, but I think I'd like to see her move on now, and not necessarily in a way which involves meeting another guy. 

September 20, 2014 1:01 pm  #2137

From Canon - he must must really want his doctor back:

“At the time of which I speak Holmes had been back for some months, and I, at his request, had sold my practice and returned to share the old quarters in Baker Street. A young doctor, named Verner, had purchased my small Kensington practice, and given with astonishingly little demur the highest price that I ventured to ask—an incident which only explained itself some years later when I found that Verner was a distant relation of Holmes’s, and that it was my friend who had really found the money.”
—     
The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited by SusiGo (September 20, 2014 1:01 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 20, 2014 1:58 pm  #2138

And why not?

September 20, 2014 2:32 pm  #2139

SusiGo wrote:

From Canon - he must must really want his doctor back:

“At the time of which I speak Holmes had been back for some months, and I, at his request, had sold my practice and returned to share the old quarters in Baker Street. A young doctor, named Verner, had purchased my small Kensington practice, and given with astonishingly little demur the highest price that I ventured to ask—an incident which only explained itself some years later when I found that Verner was a distant relation of Holmes’s, and that it was my friend who had really found the money.”
—     
The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

He prefers his doctor with him in 221B...

September 20, 2014 2:36 pm  #2140

Clean-shaven, that is. Not bristly 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera