BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2014 8:24 pm  #761

Re: The Imitation Game

Wonderful.
Makes me even more impatient to see the film.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 15, 2014 7:18 am  #762

Not sure if we had this one but I thought an example for a good interview would be nice for a change. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZICCUyTnM

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2014 3:25 pm  #763

For you Americans, the film now has an MPAA rating of PG-13. I don't know if this affects anyone but myself, since I wanted to go see this with a group of friends rather than with my parents and this is a good thing, but I also thought some of their reasoning behind it was funny. 

Rated PG-13: For some sexual references, mature thematic material and historical smoking.

That made me chuckle a little. Historical smoking? Vs regular smoking? 

September 15, 2014 3:45 pm  #764

Oh, historical smoking! Neologism of the year! 

September 15, 2014 3:46 pm  #765

What an invention. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2014 3:51 pm  #766

LMAO. what is Historical Smoking even?? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 15, 2014 5:25 pm  #767

'This is your MPAA at work.  It won’t protect children from the violent images and horribly violent situations that you find in big-money summer blockbusters.  No, they all get a PG-13.But it will protect itself from getting criticized by anti-smoking groups, so it comes up with this bit of silliness.'

http://blog.sfgate.com/mlasalle/2014/02/05/the-mpaa-and-historical-smoking/

I don't know. I think it's rather silly.

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (September 15, 2014 5:25 pm)

September 15, 2014 5:27 pm  #768

It seems this rating for smoking has been going on for a while. The earliest appearance of “historical smoking” for a PG-13 rating that I could track down shows up in the 2009 film “Alien Trespass”.

In that film, an alien crash-lands in America during the 1950’s and a character in the film smokes a pipe.

A man smoking a pipe in 1950’s America may just be too much for today’s kids. For those of you who were children in the 1950’s and may have witnessed actual pipe smoking, I don’t know how you survived.

But it’s not only ‘historical smoking’ that must be avoided by the eyes of youth. Some feel what may be considered the future of smoking, e-cigarettes, must avoid being seen.

Some stars were seen smoking e-cigarettes during the Sunday broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards, so a group of senators on Tuesday decided to write a critical letter.

In a open letter to the shows producers, senators Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), and Edward Markey (D-Mass.) said, “Unfortunately, this year, many young viewers saw notable displays of e-cigarette use throughout the awards show, including the opening monologue and repeated shots of celebrities smoking e-cigarettes.”

“We are troubled that these images glamorize smoking and serve as celebrity endorsements that could encourage young fans to begin smoking traditional cigarettes or e-cigarettes.”

I just hope the youth of America didn't turn the channel and see the news coming from Colorado, where people are legally lighting up joints of marijuana.

http://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/eric-scheiner/warning-historical-smoking-and-e-cigarettes-are-visible

Hehe.... Heh. *Lives in Colorado*

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (September 15, 2014 5:28 pm)

September 16, 2014 7:07 am  #769

Here is a good interview, starts after the banter at about 2 minutes in. Just give Benedict and Keira room for talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nm5sCiK_K4

September 16, 2014 7:19 am  #770

Such a lovely interview, I like him being more relaxed and "himself" and also they seem to have such an easy friendly relationship with Keira.

September 16, 2014 7:21 am  #771

Yes. And with him the interviewer's task is actually quite easy - ask some reasonably intelligent questions and let him talk. 

September 16, 2014 8:06 am  #772

It's good that there are still people who know how to do clever and intelligent interview 

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

September 16, 2014 9:08 am  #773

That interview is just great. And yes, I'm so shallow, I especially love the first two minutes with him chuckling and stuff. 
And 'historical smoking' is the most brilliant thing I've heard in a while. You really have to be a genius to come up with something like that, I suppose. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 16, 2014 9:44 am  #774

I am still not over that historical smoking thing which on the one hand is funny. But would it not be better to x-rate films showing historical gun use?  And to act on it in the present instead of presenting smokers as the biggest possible threat? 

September 16, 2014 9:55 am  #775

Oh, please don't get me started on the way in which movies get rated nowadays... in lots of cases it's more than just a little bit ridiculous.

September 16, 2014 11:40 am  #776

SusiGo wrote:

Yes. And with him the interviewer's task is actually quite easy - ask some reasonably intelligent questions and let him talk. 

Lol, I would say that "let him talk" is quite enough, even without intelligent questions: he saved the Q&A because he was giving long and intelligent answers to abysmally stupid questions or - in best cases - to dull and ripetitive questions.

September 17, 2014 10:27 am  #777

Oh. Don't know if this has to do with Toronto, but TIG will open in German cinemas a bit earlier now: on the 22nd of January. Still far too late, but well...
http://squareone-entertainment.eu/the-imitation-game/

September 17, 2014 10:34 am  #778

Still good news, thanks for posting. 

September 18, 2014 11:18 am  #779

September 18, 2014 12:01 pm  #780

What?!?!?!   New longer trailer?!?!  Official Poster?   I'm excited but I need to know why!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera