BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2014 9:04 am  #401

Re: Recently watched movies.

Jurassic Park, on telly a few days ago I've already lost count how many times I have watched this film

The Road goes ever on and on...

May 29, 2014 3:59 pm  #402

The Normal Heart - it's a beautiful and moving film about the AIDS crisis during the early 1980s.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

May 31, 2014 10:48 am  #403

Serenity - the movie is a sort of sequel of the brilliant sci-fi tv show Firefly, which has been cancelled barely after one season. I recently discovered this tv show and simply couldn't understand why someone decided to cancel it.

Last edited by Deilenn (May 31, 2014 10:49 am)

June 11, 2014 4:12 pm  #404

Watched: The Deep Blue Sea. Film vision of the Rattigan play. Fantastic cast (Rachel Weisz, Tom Hiddlestone, Simon Russell Beale) great production. Haunting. A film that makes you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2014 4:41 pm  #405

Sounds fab.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 11, 2014 6:37 pm  #406

Saw "The Fault in Our Stars" last weekend.  I really enjoyed the book and think they did a great job with the movie.  The theater was packed with sobbing fangirls!  And I don't mean sniffles, I mean serious sobbing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 16, 2014 12:33 pm  #407

Hoping to watch Belle this week. Review to follow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2014 7:08 am  #408

I finally got around to seeing 'The Book of Eli' the other day, and…. wow!  Even with having mixed feelings about religion and the post-apocolyptal dreary world being quite similar ground in so many movies (interesting how humans find that setting so fascinating), but still love what they creatively did with it, and could appreciate the message.  And so metaphorically pertinent to our own times/history.  Not to mention the stylistic cinematography.
Anyone else really enjoy this?  Or think it neat they had a little of 'Fahrenheit 451' going on there?
Or not even see that twist coming?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 20, 2014 6:49 pm  #409

Davina, oh yes, "The Deep Blue Sea" is a wonderful film that really stays with you for a while.

We just watched "Locke" with Tom Hardy and that was quite amazing. A very unusual movie about a man sitting in his car, driving through the night and trying to fix his life by talking to various people on the phone. (One of those people is the voice of Andrew Scott, but sadly I saw the dubbed German version, so no Andrew Scott for me. ) It sounds like nothing much, but Tom Hardy is... wonderful. I couldn't help but imagine what Benedict might have done with this role though... there was one moment where Locke starts to cry, and I think Benedict might have done an even better job.
But I don't want to be unfair, so let me just say: Go see it! It's about life and how we try to control things and stick to a plan - but most of the time life just can't be controlled.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 21, 2014 7:29 pm  #410

I really, really want to see Locke. My daughter is also a huge Tom Hardy fan so we will probably watch it together somehow.

June 23, 2014 12:16 pm  #411

I am not a big movie fan but last night i watched the full length (almost 4 hours!) "Ludwig II" by Visconti and gee, was it awesome!
Movies i have seen in the cinema this year so far ~ Only Lovers Left Alive and The Grand Budapest Hotel, both totally fantastic! 

July 24, 2014 8:57 pm  #412

I had won tickets for a preview today of the new Marvel movie Guardians of the Galaxy. It was great! IMO one of the best Marvel films so far. It's very funny, has fantastic characters and an exciting story. I can highly recommend it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 24, 2014 9:28 pm  #413

I watched a couple of Andrew Scott's short films. My absolute favourite of his is called 'Sea Wall,' which is essentially a 34 minute long monologue in one shot that ended with me in tears. If you want to watch something heart-wrenching, there's one on YouTube, but it'd be really nice if you went out and bought it for his fantastic work. 

July 31, 2014 10:15 pm  #414

Lilith I am envious as I missed OLLA, as it didn't appear at our local cinema. I am planning to get it on DVD as I am just a little smitten with Tom Hiddleston.

August 3, 2014 3:02 pm  #415

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy.  Oh god, was that great.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 4, 2014 5:40 pm  #416

Apollo 13. One of my fav movies, I can watch it again and again but never get bored.

August 12, 2014 7:52 pm  #417

Two films I have watched recently.

1. White House Down - Now I love action films. I'm a die hard Die Hard fan (see what I did there) and I also thoroughly enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen, which is basically Die Hard in the White House with Gerard Butler (me-OW ) and White House Down is basically another version of Olympus Has Fallen. It was a truly awful but entertaining film! Seriously I don't think I've laughed that much in a long time. It's ridiculous! Truly awful but I'd still recommend it.

2. Maurice - I read th book by E.M.Forster first and enjoyed it. And when I found out that the 1987 film version starred a young Rupert Graves, our rather handsome silver fox of a detective, I had to watch it. I thoroughly enoyed it! It was a lovely film and I really felt for Maurice the entire film.

August 12, 2014 7:54 pm  #418

Maurice is divine...Mark likes it, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 12, 2014 8:03 pm  #419

besleybean wrote:

Maurice is divine...Mark likes it, too!

It really was. It left me with a warm gooey feeling haha. I'm usually dubious of film adaptations of books that I've read as I let my imagination run away with me when I'm reading, but this film really didn't let me down at all

September 14, 2014 3:45 pm  #420

I just came back from watching 'The Fault in Our Stars' with my best friend... That is such a beautiful film, It made so much sense to me.

But I have never cried so much in my life... I broke down completely by the end and so did my friend and we had to walk through a lobby filled with people just crying our eyes out... wow. 

I never cry in public, I have lost half of my family to cancer and I guess I have had plenty of reasons to cry in my life but I just never could in public. 

Wow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera