BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2012 10:58 am  #121

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

kazza474 wrote:

Just copy the url of any picture, most will work.

Ah Kazza, spoken like a true IT person; but sometimes people like me (and maybe Ancientsgate) need a bit more hand holding.  I knew how to find websites with pictures but had already wasted a bunch of time clicking through reams of seemingly unrelated stuff on those sites.  My daughter pointed out the "image" link on the Google page and
suddenly just pictures appeared.  First big breakthrough!.  Then the right click business to copy the url was really helpful.  I'd been wasting time trying to save an image into my computer and then not knowing what to do with it. I can be pretty dense at times - I admit it 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 9, 2012 11:08 am  #122

If you are dense I must be impenetrable! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 9, 2012 11:21 am  #123

Me an IT person?

lmaoooo!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 9, 2012 11:55 am  #124

KeepersPrice wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Just copy the url of any picture, most will work.

Ah Kazza, spoken like a true IT person; but sometimes people like me (and maybe Ancientsgate) need a bit more hand holding.  I knew how to find websites with pictures but had already wasted a bunch of time clicking through reams of seemingly unrelated stuff on those sites.  My daughter pointed out the "image" link on the Google page and
suddenly just pictures appeared.  First big breakthrough!.  Then the right click business to copy the url was really helpful.  I'd been wasting time trying to save an image into my computer and then not knowing what to do with it. I can be pretty dense at times - I admit it 

I took myself by the hand last night and made it happen. Don't particularly like this avatar I picked out, but it's better than the speedometer thing I chose from this forum's icons. Not sure why I couldn't make it happen before, but anyway, it's pretty easy.

What I wanted to do was use one of my own stored images of S/J, one of the ones I have in my attachment file. That I couldn't do. Frustrating. Not sure why this forum doesn't allow for that, but if it does, I couldn't figure it out. Whatever you use has to come directly from the internet.

One of my fave websites is google images. I really recommend it. Stick the subject in their search engine, click to open, and voila, you will have 100s, maybe 1000s of images to choose from, all listed by image size, too, which is convenient if you're looking for something large, like for desktop wallpaper, or something small for an avatar.

July 9, 2012 10:22 pm  #125

AG,  I'm curious--do  you have a personal image hosting site?  (photobucket or imageshack  or  tinyurl  are several familiar to me they are free,  and they won't ask for too much private info. I have several photobucket accounts)  If you do,  I  or  someone else in the tech help section can  help you   further  as to posting pics here.  Yes,  I  know how you got the avatar  to  show up here,  good job.   

OK  getting back  on topic--Yeah---the first  few minutes of the new show in series 3  SHOULD  have John swearing at Sherlock  and  maybe in panic mode--  is John seeing a GHOST? Oh,  the wait  is  just....horrid.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 9, 2012 10:24 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 9, 2012 10:34 pm  #126

sherlockskitty wrote:

AG,  I'm curious--do  you have a personal image hosting site?  (photobucket or imageshack  or  tinyurl  are several familiar to me they are free,  and they won't ask for too much private info. I have several photobucket accounts)  If you do,  I  or  someone else in the tech help section can  help you   further  as to posting pics here.  Yes,  I  know how you got the avatar  to  show up here,  good job.   

OK  getting back  on topic--Yeah---the first  few minutes of the new show in series 3  SHOULD  have John swearing at Sherlock  and  maybe in panic mode--  is John seeing a GHOST? Oh,  the wait  is  just....horrid.

No, no personal imaging sites. I've never really gotten into all that. My thing is the written word-- I've written loads of fan fic in the past (not Sherlock...not yet), do lots of beta reading for others, do tons of email, am active in yahoo support groups for medical things, but photos and art aren't my thing, except to look at and appreciate. I'm an appreciator, not a creator of visual work.

A ghost. Yes. The plot bunny I have to write up has John actually seeing Sherlock about 3 or 4 times, out of the corner of his eye, and when he turns to look, he's not there. That ol' Sherlock could remain hidden for ages, but still keep an eye on John, as he was in the cemetery in the show. But then, suddenly, there he is! Whew. Not sure about what form the fireworks will take, but they will be there. I mean, John's told him off before about stopping with the cheekbones and turned-up collar thing--- imagine what he'll say and do when he has to tear him a new one for pretending to be DEAD.

July 9, 2012 11:27 pm  #127

I KNOW!!!  I'm writing up my own fic  (but not posted here yet, sorry)  where John finally gets to meet up with Sherlock for the first time--  and I STILL can picture him punching out Sherlock.  one can dream, can't one?  Oh  I do wish we could speed up time.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 12:37 am  #128

Wow - I think we're all doing the same thing. I'm thinking about my own little fan fic focusing on "The Meeting". So far it's only in my head but I think it's going to bust out into my fingertips and then onto the keyboard one of these days real soon.  Let's all compare! 

July 10, 2012 1:35 am  #129

there's a few group roleplay  threads on this forum--  i  know of several,  where we  posters can actually  put our thoughts into the written word.   There's one thread that has the story started from  parts unknown,  and ANYONE can  post  as ANY CHARACTER THEY WANT, there. I can  post as john,  sherlock,  Mrs. H,  and so can you.   

Then there's this roleplay thread where both Sherlock Holmes  (the boss here)  and I  are  getting our chops  in motion,  by  being a certain character.  I'm John,  and SH  is...you guessed it-- SH!!   This is a roleplay,  so we each have our  own  parts.  what bugs me tho,  is  so far there are only the two of us. Pretty limited with just the 2 of us.

Interested?

Hmmm  OR   we could all post our own little fanfic,  and then when the first ep of series 3 airs,  we can then look and see who came close to it!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 10, 2012 1:37 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 4:01 am  #130

We totally went off on a cussing tangent that has somehow morphed to fanfic, but I really don't mind.

As far as the cussing goes, in summary: I think he'll cuss. I hope they don't cut it. (Give us at least a few "s**t"s, PBS. We've been waiting long enough.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 10, 2012 12:17 pm  #131

sherlockskitty wrote:

there's a few group roleplay  threads on this forum--  i  know of several,  where we  posters can actually  put our thoughts into the written word.   There's one thread that has the story started from  parts unknown,  and ANYONE can  post  as ANY CHARACTER THEY WANT, there. I can  post as john,  sherlock,  Mrs. H,  and so can you.   

Then there's this roleplay thread where both Sherlock Holmes  (the boss here)  and I  are  getting our chops  in motion,  by  being a certain character.  I'm John,  and SH  is...you guessed it-- SH!!   This is a roleplay,  so we each have our  own  parts.  what bugs me tho,  is  so far there are only the two of us. Pretty limited with just the 2 of us.

Interested?

Hmmm  OR   we could all post our own little fanfic,  and then when the first ep of series 3 airs,  we can then look and see who came close to it!!

I haven't found the role-play thread yet Kitty.  I'll look for it tonight after work.  Not sure I could "share" when it comes to my writing but it may be intriguing so I'll reserve judgement. 

Each day I get a little closer to wanting to get something down in writing.  I think I'll end up walking a fine line between what I would like to have happen for my own emotional release and how "in reality" these two characters would act. It probably won't come anywhere close to what the Moftiss is going to do in 3:1; but then, this would just be for me and any other fan who might enjoy it. So scary though.  I've a tiny bit of experience with writing and it's like going through labor and delivery and then you present your lovely newborn for the world to see and criticize. A very difficult hurdle to overcome.

July 10, 2012 1:35 pm  #132

KeepersPrice wrote:

Each day I get a little closer to wanting to get something down in writing.  I think I'll end up walking a fine line between what I would like to have happen for my own emotional release and how "in reality" these two characters would act. It probably won't come anywhere close to what the Moftiss is going to do in 3:1; but then, this would just be for me and any other fan who might enjoy it. So scary though.  I've a tiny bit of experience with writing and it's like going through labor and delivery and then you present your lovely newborn for the world to see and criticize. A very difficult hurdle to overcome.

There is catharsis in writing, for those who are called to it. You can write it just for yourself, you know. No one else ever has to see it. You don't even have to keep it if you don't want to.

The purpose of fan fiction is to "fix it", for ourselves and our readers, to take our characters and play with them like dress-up paper dolls-- moving them here and there, making them do what we'd like to see them do on the show but never will. So in that way, within reason, what you write doesn't necessarily have to line up real closely with what exists in canon. I like to make the characters at least sound like the show's characters, and certainly look like them, but there's nothing wrong with a good AU or AR either.

With a fandom like Sherlock, there are endless possibilities, even if someone didn't care about ship. Endless. Big city, lots of criminals, big police force, lots of scientific and medical resources at his disposal, some money to spend to take cabs all over the place, etc. Someone could spend a lifetime, just writing about that stuff.

And then there's the ship, either het or slash. PG-rated. Teen rated. Mature. As the author, you decide how explicit you want to get. The showrunners (and actually, ACD himself) gave us slashers a healthy pair of men to play with, handed to us on a silver platter. Sherlock and John are *perfect*--  they live in close proximity (opportunity), they have opposite but compatible personalities and goals and are both deathly lonely (motive). One tall, one shorter, one dark, one blond, one a functioning sociopath, one a decorated soldier with MD after his name--educated, experienced and totally compassionate. Fireworks! Possibilities!

And then there's the blend of the two kinds of fan fic. It's perfectly possible to write an action/adventure story with romance (or just plain hot sex, whatever the author wants) all mixed in.

It takes some guts to publish a story you've written. Been there, done that. But it's wonderfully rewarding when it comes out right and you find that people appreciate it, enjoy it, laugh and cry with your characters. Because yes, the characters belong to the late ACD and the BBC and Ben and Martin, but our fan fic characters belong to *us*. So go for it, in any way that works for you.

And again, apologies for being totally off topic, as usual. Sigh. This all belongs in some other thread, but beats me which one or where it'd be.

July 10, 2012 8:02 pm  #133

ancientsgate wrote:

What I wanted to do was use one of my own stored images of S/J, one of the ones I have in my attachment file. That I couldn't do. Frustrating. Not sure why this forum doesn't allow for that, but if it does, I couldn't figure it out. Whatever you use has to come directly from the internet.

Er...no.  My avatar is of a photo I took myself and have stored on my hard drive (iPhoto Library).  If I recall correctly--it was a while ago--all I did to was go to the avatar section of the Profile menu and browse for the photo, then click on the name to upload it to this site.  I didn't use Photobucket, Flickr or any other online photo storage site to access it.

Sorry to be off-topic but did want to let people know you CAN use your own self-created images.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 11, 2012 10:05 pm  #134

Hello,
I am new in this ( wonderfol :-) ) forum. As for you, I cannot  await the reunion scene!
I think  the  term "( one more) miracle"  will readopted  by  the writers.
John will be someboy whom a "miracle"/ a wonder will be happen. A  sudden, completely  unexpected, weird incidence, which will left him deeply
unsettled, shaken to the core -  at a point in his life, when he is going to get his mourning under control and restart his life.
What does it mean to somebody waisting three (?) years of his lifetime mourning somebody who is NOT dead and be witness of his suicide and his "resurrection"? To eperience the eversion of his whole world even twice?

Last edited by saysomething (July 26, 2012 12:15 pm)

July 11, 2012 10:36 pm  #135

Interesting where you are going with this saysomething!

I always interpreted it to mean that he wanted "one more miracle" to put everything back the way it was after the first one (Sherlock coming into his life).

"One more miracle" being one more chance to move forward?  I like that interpretation too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 12, 2012 9:44 am  #136

Fetchinketch wrote:

Interesting where you are going with this saysomething!

I always interpreted it to mean that he wanted "one more miracle" to put everything back the way it was after the first one (Sherlock coming into his life).

"One more miracle" being one more chance to move forward?  I like that interpretation too.

I definetively think John will be deeply shocked ( er wird bis in innerste Mark erschüttert sein), feeling his world turning upside down (once more).
Yes, that feeling could be a push to him to move forward, giving him a impulse to tackle his life more actively fram now on.

But I have meant the authors will interlace the word "miracle" literally  somehow in a dialogue between Sherlock and John or a monologue of John.

Could be a good scene for a trailer of  3.01 "The Adventure of the Empty House" :-).

( Maybe like this:

We see flashbacks of TRF: Sherlock jumping, John mourning, the gravestone etc. Dramatic music.

We hear John´s voice from off: " Defining a miracle: Mi-rac-le. A wonder. An event or  phenomenon not fully explained by known laws of nature.
A completely unexpectet, statistically unlikely incident , maybe of a supernatural kind. For example: A ressurrection.
Experiencing a miracle:  What does is make to someone to witness such a thing?  How to bear the eversion of your life once more? I can not bear I just can´t"

Dramatic music.

We see Sherlock meeting Mycroft at London Heathrow airport, walking along Baker Street, standing still in front of John`s house.
The door is opening, John`s gaze is turning at Sherlock. John is frozing.

Sherlock´s voice : " One more miracle - for you John. "

Sequences of John crying, pushing Sherlock, Sherlock standíng in front of his one gravestone etc. )

Last edited by saysomething (July 12, 2012 3:24 pm)

July 12, 2012 9:59 am  #137

The miracle idea does work well. Of course we know what John does not know. That Sherlock is not dead and that he will return. No matter how that is done in the series to John as a character it will seem, if only initially, as a miracle...a resurrection. Sherlock is something of a Wunderkind, he will have a further opportunity to prove it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2012 10:27 am  #138

Yes with some appropriate violin music in the background no doubt.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 21, 2012 6:55 am  #139

oh fiddlesticks.  I  just read the transcript of TRF  for the umpteenth time.   Remember John's line,  "don't be dead, Sherlock, please?"  ??   OK.  That makes me think that John actually KNOWS  that Sherlock isn't dead.  He's just...acting the part of a grieving friend. Plus--the more I watch this episode,  the more I see it.  John walked away from the grave,  and his head sort of turned in the direction where S was standing.    That's what I think.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 21, 2012 7:08 am  #140

He doesn't know Sherlock is alive. It is just wishful thinking and denial that is making him say that. Above all else he wants Sherlock to not be dead. This is common in the grieving process.

Board footera