BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2012 8:37 am  #1

Doctor Who

Do we have any Dr Who fans here? I know there's quite a lot of crossover with the Moffat connection...

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (March 15, 2012 11:01 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 15, 2012 12:00 pm  #2

Re: Doctor Who

Does anybody know when its coming out again?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 17, 2012 12:19 am  #3

Hmm, it's due fairly soon isn't it? Feels like it's been a while...summertime perhaps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 20, 2012 2:36 am  #4

I am a HUGE Doctor Who fan! ( Doctor who and Sherlock, Best TV series EVER! )

I haven't seen much of the old series yet, ( 1963-1989 ) I have downloaded the first season ( 1963 ) and have managed to get through 3 whole episodes ( They were 7 parters back then i think. ) and its very interesting to see what TV was like back in the 60's.

But besides that, I have seen all 6 of the new series and can't wait for the 7th! apparently they are filming in Spain or they are shooting an episode or two in Spain, I dunno, They haven't made that part clear yet.

[Sherlock buzzes Van Coon's neighbor]
Eddie's Neighbour: Hello?
Sherlock Holmes: Hi, um, I live in the flat just below you. I don't think we've met!
Eddie's Neighbour: No, well, er, I just moved in.
Sherlock Holmes: [grimaces] Actually, I just locked my keys in my flat!
Eddie's Neighbour: You want me to buzz you in?
Sherlock Holmes: Yeah, and can I use your balcony?
Eddie's Neighbour: What?
[Cuts to Sherlock jumping off of her balcony onto the one below it]

Lestrade: And exactly how many times did he fall out a window?
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, detective. I lost count.

I have two awesome signatures. : D

February 20, 2012 2:09 pm  #5

It normally kicks off in April - I've read though that 2012 might be quite a light year for Doctor Who and that next year (The 50th anniversary year) there will be lots of Who.

So don't expect too much this year. That said Doctor Who is a marvellous mystery in and of itself and under Moffat's direction has turned into a truly beautiful show in almost every respect.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

February 20, 2012 4:36 pm  #6

Confession time! I watched the very first Doctor Who in black-and-white on BBC when it first came out. Just BBC note there was no BBC 2 and only one commercial station, which I think was called ITV then ( not sure because I wasn't allowed to watch it because it had adverts!) I was an aside watcher all the way through my childhood and spent many a Saturday-along with a whole generation of British children- hidden behind the settee but still watching- when the daleks came on! Their voices still get to me! William Hartnesll, Patrick Troughton, the frankly mad Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy. Ah! Actually saw Sylvester McCoy on stage in Macbeth befo he did Doctor Who and I have to say he was brilliant though critics didn't like his Doctor.

The Master, played by Roger Delgado, was a brilliant villain. Bit like Moriarty, in a way, wicked but attractive, if you know what I mean.

I think the series lost its way for a few years after these. It that might have been because I was occupied with other things by then and series such as Star Trek!

Right, so I've probably given my age away a bit now. But I was very, very small when I first started watching it on our old tv which was in a wooden cabinet, had Bakelite knobs, took an age to 'warm up' and had a little dot left on the screen when you turned it off! Ah! Those were the days!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 15, 2012 7:03 pm  #7

I'm a MASSIVE Whovian, and I have been since I was six, and I saw School Reunion. I'm mainly a new-Who fan, though I have seen a few classic stories, including An Unearthly Child, and of course I've seen the movie. I'm currently attempting to get over my Eighth Doctor obsession.
I'm going to the DWC in 9 days - YIPPEE! I'm very excited. I'm even attempting to ban all my other fandoms until DWC is over. Yes, I'm sure that's going to work out well.

Sometimes my head hurts with fandom input. Now allow me to deduce you by offering a jelly baby.

March 15, 2012 7:08 pm  #8

TooManyFandomsToFunction wrote:

I'm even attempting to ban all my other fandoms until DWC is over. Yes, I'm sure that's going to work out well.

Yes, here you are on the Sherlock board. Doing well so far. 

March 15, 2012 7:13 pm  #9

Any chance we could retitle this thread to "Doctor Who"?

Dr. Who is a little...well, disrespectful 

-m0r

Last edited by m0r1arty (March 15, 2012 7:14 pm)

March 15, 2012 8:27 pm  #10

Not sure how to do that, but I'll investigate...there must be a way.

March 15, 2012 11:01 pm  #11

Did it. Hope that's a bit more respectful to The Doctor. 

March 16, 2012 12:51 pm  #12

Cheers SH!

-m0r

March 21, 2012 8:42 pm  #13

I received series one for my birthday and love it.  What really struck me, an ardent Whovian, is the similarities between Tom Baker's Doctor Who and our new Sherlock --gad I really do love an arrogant know-it-all with a dry sense of humor with absurdity mixed it.

March 21, 2012 10:51 pm  #14

I am a Who fan also! Though I do have a confession to make - I don't like Moffat's Who and not particularly keen on Matt Smith's Doctor. In fact, the reason I only watched Sherlock recently is because I was so unimpressed with Who since Moffat took over that I didn't want to watch another show under his direction. Though in fairness, they switched cast, exec producers AND exec writer so not sure where it's actually fallen down - or if it's a combination. I'm hoping the next season, without Karen Gillan (who I thought was really rather ordinary) and Arthur Darvill and which Moffat has said will have "less arc" and more "stand alone episodes" will be better. I didn't much like his arcs, I thought Russell T Davies was much subtler and broader all at the same time.

I think my main issue is that the last season or two was all about Amy Pond and not about the Doctor or having adventures. I don't want to watch the Amy Pond show!!!

I dunno - I'm still trying to figure out what it is I didn't like. Which isn't to say I didn't love it - always love Doctor Who - I just didn't love it as much as the Davies/Eccleston and Davies/Tennant seasons.

Apologies for the rambly essay!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 21, 2012 11:34 pm  #15

I absolutely LOVE Doctor Who! :D It and Sherlock are my two favorite TV shows, AKA my two biggest fictional obsessions. ;) I've seen all the newer seasons, and have tried to watch some of the classic series... though I've only gotten through the first 5 or so episodes, haha. Goodness, Doctor Who has certainly changed over the years. I am still stuck in the middle of a classic episode I can't seem to finish. It's just so slow and, no disrespect to the Doctor, boring! But I'm sure I'll finish it sometime soon -- I really don't want to skip any episodes so I guess I'll HAVE to watch it eventually. ;P

Anyways, my favorite incarnation of the Doctor so far has to be Ten (David Tennant). I haven't even seen half of them though, so that might very well change! ;D Which versions of the Doctor do you all prefer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 22, 2012 4:14 pm  #16

42_and_221B wrote:

Which versions of the Doctor do you all prefer?

Them be fighting words :D

Personally I love Eleven. I think he epitomises the summing up of all previous Doctor's.

After him it's Nine, Eight, Three, Four (Who always has a special place), Two, Five, Seven, Ten, One and Six for me.

What about your?

-m0r

March 23, 2012 2:59 pm  #17

Too true m0r! There are alot of different opinions on that question, haha. ;D

I mentioned in my last post that Ten was my favorite so far, but I suppose I should rank them all:

Ten
Nine and Eleven
One

Its a short list, but these are the only Doctor's I've seen. Sad, huh? I really need to start watching more classics. ;P I think part of the reason Ten is my favorite is because when I first heard of Doctor Who, he was the Doctor (and this was before I knew about regeneration), so he kinda cemented himself into my mind as the TRUE Doctor, haha. Though I love Nine and Eleven nearly as much. It's so hard to choose between them all!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

May 1, 2012 5:58 pm  #18

Article in Radio Times. Dr Who Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss write introductions for classic Dr. Who novelisations. There's a lot of input in the article from Steven Moffatt. Well worth reading. I particularly enjoyed his comment, " It became a wonderful ritual, saving pocket money, then deciding which Target book to go far. I devoured them. Not literally. Although I did live in the north and was always hungry." Very Monty Pythonesque Moff! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 13, 2012 7:21 am  #19

I  LOVE  doctor who!!!   David Tennant was MY doctor; he's the one that hooked me onto this wonderful series.   Yes  I  saw season 1  with chris Ecclston and Billie Piper.   And  I've seen  all the tennant eps,  and MOST  of the Matt Smith ones.   Is it just me,  or does the doctor talk REALLY fast?   I  have my tv  on closed captioning, (Being deaf, why not?)  and when I record the episodes,  I sometimes have to go back and re read the captions to keep up.   Otherwise,  I'm  in love with this show.   And the Tardis--can I have one of those?  Oh,  and I need a sonic screwdriver. 

I've just been to my costco store,  and they have some of the new series boxed sets.   I  told myself.....I'll sleep on it,  then MAYBE  go back and get them. There goes my wardrobe budget.   BBCA   airs them with commercials and they cut so much OUT.   Ok.  I'm obsessed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 13, 2012 8:18 am  #20

10th Doctor is my favourite!!

Board footera