BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2014 3:56 am  #1281

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

The Iceman Cometh
by Polyphony
http://archiveofourown.org/works/539555/chapters/958364

This story is 2 or 3 years old, so a lot of you might already have read it. It's too long by half, it needed someone to check the punctuation here and there, and frankly, and I can't figure out why she made it a johnlock story, since in 19 hugely long chapters, there's exactly one sex scene that'll never set the world on fire. But if you enjoy a story that reads like a possible movie script, is very Sherlock-centric and is principally case fic, this one's for you.

September 9, 2014 7:24 am  #1282

I can second that recommendation, even though I wonder after your description what I liked about it.
It was the atmosphere she created, I suppose.
I think it was well and convincingly written.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 9, 2014 7:39 am  #1283

Harriet wrote:

I can second that recommendation, even though I wonder after your description what I liked about it.
It was the atmosphere she created, I suppose.
I think it was well and convincingly written.

She's a good writer, and I thought the casework part of the story was well done. As I said, it honestly read like a Sherlock movie script. Not sure why she included johnlock as a very brief sexual pairing, since a friendship pairing and professional collaboration, as in the show, probably would have made more sense. Anyway, I know how very hard it is to write a story like that, and write it well, and even though I thought it could have been cut way down in length, I thought it was well done, all in all.

September 9, 2014 9:05 pm  #1284

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1804192/chapters/3870205

Damage by lifeonmars, a HLV fix-it.

Very well done, an adult writing for adults, and an author who really "gets" not just Sherlock but John too. I loved the romance here, the angst, the case work, all of it.
I realize this fic may already have been rec'd here on this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and look, so thought I'd post it again. Don't miss this one, if you need a good S3 fix-it.

September 9, 2014 9:07 pm  #1285

I just started reading it, seems interesting. It was only finished some days ago and I have not seen it here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2014 4:21 am  #1286

ancientsgate wrote:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1804192/chapters/3870205

Damage by lifeonmars, a HLV fix-it.

Very well done, an adult writing for adults, and an author who really "gets" not just Sherlock but John too. I loved the romance here, the angst, the case work, all of it.
I realize this fic may already have been rec'd here on this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and look, so thought I'd post it again. Don't miss this one, if you need a good S3 fix-it.

Thank you, it went right onto my mark for later list. I'm knee-deep into The Slash Man right now, which is haunting and perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 11, 2014 5:29 pm  #1287

Finished it today. Wow. Maybe one of the best I ever read. So very much in character you could make a script out of it. Interesting turn on Mary. And John and Sherlock are so well done. This will stay with me for a long time. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 11, 2014 5:45 pm  #1288

So many fics.........................

Marked "Damage"  so I can download it later at home.

Schmiezi, I read "Slashman" a couple of weeks ago.  It is brutal but I was very happy with the way it ended.  She does make you work for it though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 11, 2014 5:47 pm  #1289

Harriet wrote:

And I boasted so much with "I don't want to read about future time-lines!" - now I got six or seven!

Do you have "Be Here Now" on your list?  It's one of my very favorite Post TRF.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 11, 2014 5:48 pm  #1290

I love that one! And the sequel, "Kill Switch". Both brilliant. 

September 11, 2014 5:51 pm  #1291

SusiGo wrote:

Very brilliant.  I just love the way Sherlock and John come together in this one.  I also really like the way she wrote Irene.  She made me kindof like her. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 11, 2014 5:55 pm  #1292

Yes, her character was really well done. And the end of "Kill Switch" nearly made me cry. 

September 11, 2014 8:25 pm  #1293

SusiGo wrote:

Can you guys post links when you do a rec?  I know a lot of us would appreciate not having to hunt. Be Here Now and Kill Switch are the same author?  I'd definitely put them on my to-be-read list.

I'm currently reading a story from two years ago called Through the Clouds by mazarin221b, where S/J retire in their late 40s, leave London, buy a house on the Downs near Eastbourne (I presume this is SW England?), Sherlock raises bees, John fixes the house, works part time as a village doc, and writes a book. Doesn't that sound boring?  lol  But it's lovely, just a quiet story of building affection and love. I'm on chapter 5 out of 6, and they haven't even said the words or done the deed yet, but...  I like this story.   http://archiveofourown.org/works/719697/chapters/1334044

September 11, 2014 9:52 pm  #1294

Ancientsgate, both stories are by Todesfuge and have been recommended a long time ago. I am sure they are on the masterlist. 

And thank you for yours,will check it out at once. 

September 11, 2014 11:43 pm  #1295

Has anyone read either of these?

Crashing by drpepperdiva91
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1520189/chapters/3214265

or
The Moonlight and the Frost  by CaitlinFairchild
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1998777/chapters/4330881

I'm interested in both of them but would like to hear some outside opinions.

Last edited by tonnaree (September 11, 2014 11:44 pm)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 12, 2014 2:13 am  #1296

Oh wow I haven't even seen either of those but they look epic so I shall have to add them to my read list!

(I'm currently on a Steve/Tony Avengers fic binge so my Sherlock reading is falling behind)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 12, 2014 6:24 am  #1297

I have not read them, tonnaree, but thanks for bringing them up. Will give them a try. 

September 12, 2014 10:00 am  #1298

Posting this rec here, simply because I have no idea in the world where it should really go on the forum--  I looked in the index and couldn't find an appropriate fic rec list where it should go.

This is a John Watson and Greg Lestrade story, but they aren't lovers.  There is slash involved, but it's non-con and difficult to read the first part of the story. John's a university student, and one night he's attacked by the guys in his rugby team, when he sort of said yes, and then, by the time he said no, they didn't believe him.  So the whole first bit of this is really hard to read. But then he meets Greg, and the story is one of survival and the power of friendship and kindness and not letting the sh**storm of life end you. I enjoy angst, so I liked this. Heed the warnings from the author, though, and if you absolutely cannot do non-con, don't touch this one.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/721843
Match, by emungere

September 12, 2014 6:24 pm  #1299

It's a Happy Day!

earlgreytea has posted a lovely little addition to her Nature and Nurture world.

Snow
earlgreytea68

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2287859

It's so sweet!  I could weep at the fluffiness.

Last edited by tonnaree (September 12, 2014 6:25 pm)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 12, 2014 9:46 pm  #1300

tonnaree wrote:

It's a Happy Day!

earlgreytea has posted a lovely little addition to her Nature and Nurture world.

Snow
earlgreytea68

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2287859

It's so sweet!  I could weep at the fluffiness.

Ooo, thanks, I never would have found this without your rec. I'll be reading this later today. Sledging?  lol  I presume that means sledding. ha

Board footera