BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2014 4:35 pm  #1

Fears and Phobias

What are you afraid of? Do you have any phobias?

Like most people, especially of the female gender I am very afraid of spiders. I can freeze completely if I don't act fast enough to remove them...

I recently discovered I have a really big phobia with clowns too... I never really liked them but I didn't consider myself scared of them.
I work at the pediatric ward and every Tuesday the Hospital Clowns are about bringing joy to the little patients and panic every time I see them. I try really hard not to show it... I mean I know what a difference they do for the kids! 
It's just so hard being professional when I want to run for my life as soon as I see them... 

I know as a kid I was yelled at by a balloon clown... But that's ancient history and logically I know those clowns at the hospital are lovely people. I've even seen and spoken to one of them out of costume. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 10, 2014 5:27 pm  #2

Re: Fears and Phobias

Snakes.

I was frightened by one as a samll child and have ever since then had a gut wrenching primal fear of them.   When I am under too much stress I will have nightmares about snakes.

Now, dont' get me wrong.  I would not harm a snake and understand that they are a beautiful necessary part of nature.  I just want them to keep far away from me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 10, 2014 5:42 pm  #3

My main ones: bugs, heights and water,
Not all bugs tho: mainly roaches, spiders and wasps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 5:47 pm  #4

Everything with more than four legs. 
Earthquakes
Mass panics

September 10, 2014 5:47 pm  #5

I'm the opposite about hieghts.  I LOVE being up high.  On a cliff.  In a heliocoptor.  At the top of a skyscraper.   Love it.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 10, 2014 5:49 pm  #6

Oh I'm not too bad about being up high like that and I am getting better...
I mean I don't mind being in a plane at all.
I mean more climbing up step ladders and things,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 6:31 pm  #7

I am afraid of heights too... but for me the fear is more about if I might jump

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 10, 2014 6:34 pm  #8

Yesh, the falling/jumping one is common.

September 10, 2014 8:07 pm  #9

Maybe I shouldn't call it a phobia, but I hate worms. I usually do not freak out when I see some so thus don't hesitate to kill them if they're intrusive.
And also, I'm rather not fond of clowns, they cause a kind of uncertaintly in me; this feeling especially has raised since I once had a nightmare about them..

Last edited by Deilenn (September 10, 2014 8:12 pm)

The Road goes ever on and on...

September 10, 2014 8:13 pm  #10

I don't really have any of the common phobias, I'm the one who rescues spiders from the house and if I see a mouse I vaguely wish it would stop so I could pet it. My fears are all around social situations. 

September 10, 2014 8:43 pm  #11

silverblaze wrote:

and if I see a mouse I vaguely wish it would stop so I could pet it. 

Me too, and the same about rats

Well like many people I don't like spiders but I try to control my fear (few years ago when I saw a spider I run away with scream but now I just slowly step away). I'm also a little bit afraid of thunderstorm.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

September 11, 2014 2:45 am  #12

I think it's funny that I'm not afraid of spiders but my husband and my children are.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 11, 2014 4:28 am  #13

I used to be scared of spiders. Then it turned out that Hubby is even more scared of them than me, and if I don't throw them out no-one will. So I learned to do all the catch 'em with a glass stuff.

I am scared of darkness, due to a bad childhood experience. Actually I am so scared that I can't remember the initial incident. I have learnt to control it and even sleep in dark rooms, but only if I know I am in control (light switch right next to me or something).

Last edited by Schmiezi (September 11, 2014 4:29 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 11, 2014 7:26 am  #14

Mirror phobia & roach phobia is me.

While roach phobia is more normal, mirror phobia does get in the way of real life. Ppl assume that I'm a Tom Boy coz you would never catch me admiring my reflection in a shop window on the street. My avoidance of mirror like entities marks me out as being decidedly un-girl-like. Sigh...

September 11, 2014 9:54 am  #15

I have astraphobia=14pxphobia of thunderstoms. The sound of thunder especially frightens me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

September 11, 2014 11:26 am  #16

Fears and phobias make such an interesting topic. It never ceases to amaze me what other people are afraid of or what makes them panic.

I guess my only phobia (if it can even be called that) is my fear of having my veins penetrated. I have no idea if this phobia has got a name. I searched the Internet but couldn't find anything - there's the fear of needles, but that's not really what it is. I'm not scared of stingy objects or of getting a jab or of having my blood taken. It's the action of having someone touch my veins and of getting a cannula put in for an intrevenous therapy. It's not that it makes me throw a tantrum or pass out (the nurses at the hospital say that I'm still very composed and calm), but my blood pressure rises to crazy heights and sometimes I feel like I might have a panic attack.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

September 11, 2014 4:51 pm  #17

I'm not good on medical procedures, but I cope...

September 12, 2014 10:29 am  #18

WASPS and enclosed spaces. Been stung, lots.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 12, 2014 11:01 am  #19

Dragon flies, the really big ones...
*shudder*

Last edited by mrshouse (September 12, 2014 11:02 am)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 12, 2014 4:55 pm  #20

But they are beautiful...
Why on Earth would you be afraid of them?!

Board footera