BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2012 6:23 pm  #1

Huffington Post article 14.03.12 (03.14.12)

Stephanie Earp (any relation to Wyatt?) has written an article entitled- Sherlock:TV worth reading. As a classics graduate she is full of praises for the programme. I have picked out what I consider to be the best bits of the article (with then occasional aside from myself in parentheses).
'...when it's done well, that converting an old story into a modern context provides something about its timelessness. It says, "see? This is still true. This is still relevant!"' 'BBCs Sherlock...does this beautifully'...'if you haven't caught onto this series yet, go do it. (translation is: if you haven't actually watched any of this series yet, do so)'

'set in modern-day London, the newest Sherlock has access to forensic labs, nicotine patches and smartphones but he is, in every way that counts, utterly faithful to the original. Forget Robert Downey Jnr. (yes please do, though Jude Law's a-bit-of-all-right- this one is played by Benedict Cumberbatch (follows reference to his name, inevitably)...His Doctor Watson is played by Martin Freeman (mention of The Office and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)...he is happily amazed at most things, occasionally cranky and always soothed by a cup of tea.( Not quite always, but he is English) '

'The thing I most enjoyed about indulging in the show is how-light hearted it is (oh dear! Not going to spoil it for her)'.

'It is obvious, from the execution and from the fan reaction that this show is being mad by people who adored the source material. ( How right she is here, Gatiss would be pleased)'

'The really wonderful thing about falling in love with this show( only one really wonderful thing?), despite the scarcity of episodes, is that when I'm done watching I can read them.(Agreed! Well the original stories, anyway)'

For anyone who wants to read the whole article without having to search for it, maybe someone more au fait than me can do this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 15, 2012 7:06 pm  #2

Re: Huffington Post article 14.03.12 (03.14.12)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie-earp/sherlock-tv-worth-reading_b_1344884.html

Light hearted?!! Oh wait....is she an American? She's not seen Reichenbach yet...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 15, 2012 9:39 pm  #3

Re: Huffington Post article 14.03.12 (03.14.12)

Yes she is. And no she hasn't!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera