BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2012 5:35 pm  #21

Re: The Pilot

I meant piker as a beginner or amatuer. I've never heard it mean party-pooper or spoilsport, but on another note, I was suprised to see "spoil sport" in the canon, along with a few other terms that I thought were more modern.

June 26, 2012 5:09 pm  #22

I just watched the unaired pilot for the first time (my season 1 DVD finally arrived) and I must say if there is one show who's episodes have to be 90-minutes long then it's this one. The 55-minute pilot felt like a stump of an episode. I mean the structure was like with most TV shows but Sherlock is the kind that needs that extra brilliance and those tiny details between the scenes and I think the longer pilot is the superior one in every way. I don't see this show working half as well if it was contained to 40-50-minute episodes. The movie-likeness suits this show like a fist in a theme park mascot's face.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 26, 2012 9:03 pm  #23

kazza474 wrote:

Davina wrote:

A piker?
Explain.

A piker is a "party pooper". Could be someone who leaves the party early, or doesn't do everything everyone else is doing or doesn't do it as much .

In this case veecee has started the party (watching Sherlock over & over again)  a little later than most of us, or has partied slower than us.

Is that what it means in your neck of the woods?
It's not what I meant. We should add it to our differences in English list.
And I think party pooper is different, too.

Last edited by veecee (June 26, 2012 9:03 pm)

June 27, 2012 2:06 am  #24

veecee wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Davina wrote:

A piker?
Explain.

A piker is a "party pooper". Could be someone who leaves the party early, or doesn't do everything everyone else is doing or doesn't do it as much .

In this case veecee has started the party (watching Sherlock over & over again)  a little later than most of us, or has partied slower than us.

Certainly is, in fact I can't find it meaning a beginner in any dictionary, etc online but all list it as someone who pulls out in some form or other. Must be a regional thing where you are.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 27, 2012 2:08 am  #25

kazza474 wrote:

veecee wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Certainly is, in fact I can't find it meaning a beginner in any dictionary, etc online but all list it as someone who pulls out in some form or other. Must be a regional thing where you are.

Really, not so much beginner, I guess, as amateur, someone who doesn't know what he/she is doing.

Party pooper is the same for me as what you wrote.

July 1, 2012 2:57 pm  #26

I watched the pilot last night. Although I was glad for a little more time with our heroes, the pilot certainly does pale compared to the final product. I'm sure I would have thought it was OK the way it was, but the revised Study in Pink and the whole series is a vast improvement. Of course, with more money and running time they could improve the style, hone the dialogue, and develop the plot and characters more, but in particular I appreciate the sharpening of Sherlock's character. The pilot version seems kind of blah (or as blah as BC as SH could be, anyway), compared to the Sherlock we now know. Also, the addition of Mycroft is a big plus, as has been mentioned before.

One amusing spot from the pilot missing from the later version was Sherlock playing drunk.

And, OK, I know I go on about it, but Sherlock's wardrobe is definitely better in the actual series.

July 5, 2012 12:18 am  #27

I just discovered the original pilot on you tube yesterday, as I was poking around looking for some Martin Freeman clips I might enjoy. Imagine my surprise, when I saw what the pilot was-- almost all the lines were there, and almost all the actors were the same, but the sets were all different. It was rather Twilight-Zone-ish to me, like watching a familiar movie in which the whole locale had been switched over to some other reality. It was wonderful seeing Ben with another 10 or 15 pounds on him-- not so rail thin or gaunt. And he obviously hadn't fully settled in to what he wanted his character to be-- this Sherlock actually smiled and was more friendly than "ours". All in all, I found it fascinating.

July 5, 2012 1:44 am  #28

I guess I just like tall, thin, dark-haired men in fitted clothes.
If you want to see Benedict in shape, you have to see Frankenstein -- although that's not the only reason to see it by any means.
That's an interesting take, the Twilight Zone. An alternate reality.

July 11, 2012 10:41 pm  #29

veecee wrote:

Who doesn't? 

But seriously: I just watched the pilot and share the opinion that the 90-minute version is an improvement because the subplot with Mycroft can be introduced as well as the on-screen text and the character of Holmes has become deeper and more complex. It reminds me of the study for an oil painting - the essential elements are there, but without real colour and perspective.
There is one cute moment that's missing in SIP - the Harry Potter like image of Sherlock on the moonlit roof after they've left the house in Lauriston Gardens. It doesn't fit into the final version but it was nice touch .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2012 10:53 pm  #30

My favorite moment from the pilot was when Angelo said "Sherlock always has a plan" and John replies "And it's gone wrong" and jumps into action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 11, 2012 11:35 pm  #31

Yes, that's great. And then he sets off without the cane.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2012 11:39 pm  #32

Fetchinketch wrote:

My favorite moment from the pilot was when Angelo said "Sherlock always has a plan" and John replies "And it's gone wrong" and jumps into action.

Yes, exactly. This is the first reference to John's knowing Sherlock so well after such a brief amount of time knowing him. I guess they touch on this theme with John's convo with Lestrade where John says "You know him better than I do" and Lestrade responds with "I've known him for five years, and no, I don't"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 12, 2012 3:41 am  #33

SusiGo wrote:

veecee wrote:

Who doesn't? 

But seriously: I just watched the pilot and share the opinion that the 90-minute version is an improvement because the subplot with Mycroft can be introduced as well as the on-screen text and the character of Holmes has become deeper and more complex. It reminds me of the study for an oil painting - the essential elements are there, but without real colour and perspective.
There is one cute moment that's missing in SIP - the Harry Potter like image of Sherlock on the moonlit roof after they've left the house in Lauriston Gardens. It doesn't fit into the final version but it was nice touch .

I thought the rooftop scene was a little corny, but still, I enjoyed watching it. They brought it back in Hounds, when he's standing on the outcropping -- minus the moon, though.

Last edited by veecee (July 12, 2012 3:41 am)

July 12, 2012 7:07 am  #34

You're right about the rooftop scene, it is a bit over the top for the style of the series, but the music at that moment was nice and the look in Martin's eyes …

July 12, 2012 9:26 am  #35

Yeah I don't like Sherlock's baggy shirts in the pilot...much prefer the tight ones!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 12, 2012 9:38 am  #36

But the black jeans are quite nice …

July 12, 2012 9:52 am  #37

The black jeans are gooooood! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2012 10:29 am  #38

Butt-hugging (if that's a word) …

July 13, 2012 3:47 am  #39

But I think his pants (trousers!!!) in the series are even huggier, no?

July 13, 2012 7:09 am  #40

Yes, you could be right. There are some scenes I vaguely remember … No, I'm not going to think about this now, I have to work  .

Board footera