BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2014 10:04 am  #1

New Sherlock fan from Germany!

Hi fellow Sherlockians!

I'm reading on this forum since a few weeks and finally I wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I'm from Germany and I'm living in Hamburg although I was born in Dresden and moved to Hamburg in 2009 for a job.

My life is very boring: I'm living alone and have no boyfriend. My family is far away and I don't have much friends. It's very difficult for me to make new friends because I'm very reserved at the beginning. But when I eventually trust someone and feel comfortable I could be very sarcastic, witty and outgoing (definitive an INFP).

I'm a Sherlock fan since the 3rd series was broadcasted here in Germany. Since then I am Sherlocked and bought all 3 series on DVD and watched them multiple times. No one of my family or my colleagues (except for 1 colleague) knows the show or the actors which is really annoying because I have nobody to talk about that wonderful show. I'm so glad I found this forum so I can share my thoughts and live out my fandom.

Because of Sherlock I'm trying to improve my English and I have tickets for Benedict's "Hamlet" next year in London for which I'm very excited. By then I want to speak better English which is very terrible at the moment because I don't speak that much English. But thanks to the series I'm watching all films in English with English subtitles. And also in this forum I'm learning so much vocabulary every day.

I think that's enough for the moment. We will read us in the forum.

Last edited by Steph (September 2, 2014 10:07 am)

September 2, 2014 10:13 am  #2

Re: New Sherlock fan from Germany!

A warm welcome!!!
This forum really is the right place to share your passion. I also came here because there wasn't anybody around who was like-minded. So explore every thread in here and have fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 2, 2014 10:15 am  #3

Welcome to the forum - and great that you finally decided to not just read but also participate!
I'm sure you will have lots of fun here. And not just here, but also with Benedict's "Hamlet" next year. I'm sure it will blow us all away.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 2, 2014 10:20 am  #4

Hi and warm welcome around. You will find that the group of German fans is not so small here but what's our motto (well one out of many...) " There's all sorts around here."

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 2, 2014 10:22 am  #5

Welcome Steph!
This forum is full of interesting and kind people, so I've experienced, so I hope you'll have a good time here! I've felt also quite on my own with everything Sherlock, until I started reading here... apparently this forum is the place to be ;-)
I'm german too, and I also find this forum a great place to keep my vocabulary growing Especially the Sherlock-related vocabulary of course :D Although Hamlet is a really great motivation indeed, I wish I could go!

"It is what it is."

September 2, 2014 11:12 am  #6

Welcome, Steph, from another German. This is really a lovely place although some discussions can get quite heated. But we have lots of fun. And it is so nice to spend the hiatus together.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2014 11:29 am  #7

Thank you all for your kind welcome greetings!  I'm really looking forward to reading all the interesting threads. I've got quite a lot to catch up on.

Last edited by Steph (September 2, 2014 11:48 am)

September 2, 2014 12:52 pm  #8

Welcome, Steph. Have a good time here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

September 2, 2014 1:10 pm  #9

Hi! I hope you have a lovely time.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 2, 2014 1:22 pm  #10

Thank you! I already feel comfortable here. All of you are so nice to me.

September 2, 2014 2:00 pm  #11

Welcome, Steph!

Sounds as if we had quite a few things in common.

Have a great time here in the forum and in London next year!

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

September 2, 2014 2:04 pm  #12

eurydike wrote:

Welcome, Steph!

Sounds as if we had quite a few things in common.

Have a great time here in the forum and in London next year!

Thank you! Which things do you mean that we have in common?

September 2, 2014 2:09 pm  #13

Good to have you here, Steph. Isn't it so frustrating when no one around you can see how great that show is?!? Banausen LOL. Have fun! I am new here as well and as of lately quite a few newcomers have really posted so many interesting thoughts and have revived old threads. Spent hours here on the last weekend, reading and found such thrilling and interesting "old" discussions here. 

September 2, 2014 2:10 pm  #14

Steph wrote:

Which things do you mean that we have in common?

I also got Sherlocked during season 3 and fell for the show so hard that I had to buy all three seasons at once. I also live alone with no boyfriend. And I can also be very sarcastic, witty and outgoing when I'm with people I feel I can trust.

By the way, your English is totally fine already, but have fun improving it anyway.

Last edited by eurydike (September 3, 2014 5:58 am)

(Charles Bukowski)

September 2, 2014 2:16 pm  #15

Welcome Steph.

This is a wonderful place to be both for in-depth discussion and for completely unrestrained swooning over the characters/actors.

Nice to see you're from Hamburg. We had a discussion in the "German version" thread in the TEH forum just the other day how the way John and Sherlock (used to) address each other in German (first name + Sie) is called the "Hamburger Sie". So do you address your friends in the same way?

Last edited by La Jolie (September 2, 2014 2:19 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 2, 2014 2:19 pm  #16

That's interesting. Didn't know that there is a special expression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 2, 2014 2:25 pm  #17

gently69 wrote:

That's interesting. Didn't know that there is a special expression.

Same here. But according to Wikipedia it exists. As well as the Müncher Du and Berliner Er. Interesting.

(Charles Bukowski)

September 2, 2014 5:48 pm  #18

eurydike wrote:

Steph wrote:

Which things do you mean that we have in common?

I also got Sherlocked during season 3 and fell for the show so hard that I had to buy all three seasons at once. I also live alone with no boyfriend. And I can also be very sarcastic, witty and outgoing when I'm with people I feel I can trust.

By the way, you're English is totally fine already, but have fun improving it anyway.

Oh, that's really interesting! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It can be really frustrating not being understood. Sometimes I have difficulties with people who can't accept that I am who I am. There are always people who want to change you. But I don't want to change myself. I like who I am (sounds a bit narcissistically ).

I know my written English is fine, but my spoken English is really bad. I have to work on that.

La Jolie wrote:

Welcome Steph.

This is a wonderful place to be both for in-depth discussion and for completely unrestrained swooning over the characters/actors.

Nice to see you're from Hamburg. We had a discussion in the "German version" thread in the TEH forum just the other day how the way John and Sherlock (used to) address each other in German (first name + Sie) is called the "Hamburger Sie". So do you address your friends in the same way?

Thanks for the welcome!

I know that this kind of address exists but I've never heard someone address somebody like that. It's really quite unusal. But I didn't know that this is called "Hamburger Sie". I'm also no native Hamburger, but all the years I was living here I never heard that kind of address in everyday life. I would never address my friends nor even my colleagues like that.

September 2, 2014 7:38 pm  #19

Hi, welcome from another forum fellow - me! Enjoy being here! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 2, 2014 8:25 pm  #20

Hallo und willkommen Steph. Using subtitled DVDs is an excellent way of learning and improving your command of another language. If you can bear it watch the same things a few times, again and again. That really, really helps as it gives you the 'music', the rhythm, of the language. Another German member here! Wow! So many of you, it puts we Brits to shame.

Oh, and don't worry about your spoken English being not so good. Just keep having a go at it whenever you can.

Have fun!

Last edited by Davina (September 2, 2014 8:26 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera