BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2014 7:29 pm  #661

Re: Doctor Who

The latest episode reminded me so much of the film Fantastic Voyage!  I loved that film as a child!

And Gretchen is greeted in the promised land/heaven after a well-intentioned "suicide".  I wonder if that answers my question about the last episode?

Last edited by Liberty (August 30, 2014 7:43 pm)

August 31, 2014 2:39 pm  #662

Thank you all for your suggestions. As it's my birthday soon, I will put the episodes you mentioned on my wishlist, and then I watch whatever episodes/series I'll actually end up with An element of surprise... and of course, maybe it's not my cup of tea, but I've seen short sequences on the internet already, and I liked them so far.

"It is what it is."

September 2, 2014 8:44 pm  #663

Excited about the next episode! Mark Gatiss wrote it and it seems to have much the same 'feel' as some of he older Doctor Who episodes that I grew up with. Robin Hood! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 2, 2014 8:51 pm  #664

Must see,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 7:17 am  #665

Davina wrote:

Excited about the next episode! Mark Gatiss wrote it and it seems to have much the same 'feel' as some of he older Doctor Who episodes that I grew up with. Robin Hood! 

Such as the lighthearted 'zany-nest'?  And a grumpy Doctor questioning everything and plenty of references and adorable companion.     Yeah, I loved it.  Loved the previous week's feel of 'whoah, they've never gone there before' and deep emotional questions for the Doctor, but campy fun is great once in a while.   
That said, looking forward to them mixing it up with a (hopefully) proper scary one next week….. 
What did you guys think?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 10, 2014 11:32 am  #666

Definitely looking forward to some frights next week.

So, has anyone else noticed the trend so far this season?  Each episode this season has featured an actor from Game of Thrones...and each has died in that episode.  I will be watching next week to see if it happens again.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 10, 2014 4:40 pm  #667

Russell, I loved the latest episode although other people I've spoken to didn't like it!  It was fun to see a fantasy Robin Hood scenario, instead of trying to make it look realistic (which was the point, I know, but it was lovely to see the sunshine and colourful costumes and jollity).   Loved Robin Hood and the interaction between him and the Doctor. 

September 10, 2014 6:10 pm  #668

sj4iy wrote:

So, has anyone else noticed the trend so far this season?  Each episode this season has featured an actor from Game of Thrones...and each has died in that episode.  I will be watching next week to see if it happens again.

Did they really?  Cool… I thought I recognized maybe one or two faces from other shows, but admit wasn't paying attention to it in that context (except for Quayle.  I did notice him).  Who was it in the premiere?  The only death I can remember is Half-face man, and he's not a GoT alum.  I did find it awesome however they used Brian Miller (Elisabeth Sladen's husband) as the hobo.   

Definitely looking forward to one with a totally different 'feel' to mix it up!  Sure, it can be really skeptical when they play on a well-known bit of history/story, but part of the fun, too, wondering what the heck else the Doctor has influenced in tales we think we know.     And the banter was definitely awesome, and Doctor and Robin bickering until realizing their similarity.  Kept having the beautifully sad quote of Eleven's in head - 'we're all just stories in the end… make it a good one'.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

September 10, 2014 6:26 pm  #669

Russell wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

So, has anyone else noticed the trend so far this season? Each episode this season has featured an actor from Game of Thrones...and each has died in that episode. I will be watching next week to see if it happens again.

Did they really? Cool… I thought I recognized maybe one or two faces from other shows, but admit wasn't paying attention to it in that context (except for Quayle. I did notice him). Who was it in the premiere? The only death I can remember is Half-face man, and he's not a GoT alum. I did find it awesome however they used Brian Miller (Elisabeth Sladen's husband) as the hobo.

Definitely looking forward to one with a totally different 'feel' to mix it up! Sure, it can be really skeptical when they play on a well-known bit of history/story, but part of the fun, too, wondering what the heck else the Doctor has influenced in tales we think we know. And the banter was definitely awesome, and Doctor and Robin bickering until realizing their similarity. Kept having the beautifully sad quote of Eleven's in head - 'we're all just stories in the end… make it a good one'.

First Episode - Tony Way (Ser Dontos Hallard)...died when the half-face man took his eyes.

Second Episode - Ben Crompton (Dolorous Edd)...died when he triggered the Dalek's immune system

Third Episode - Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace Tyrell)...as you said, he was Quayle.

So now I'm very curious to see if we have anyone GoT actors in the next episode.

Last edited by sj4iy (September 10, 2014 6:26 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 11, 2014 5:47 pm  #670

sj4iy wrote:

First Episode - Tony Way (Ser Dontos Hallard)...died when the half-face man took his eyes.

Second Episode - Ben Crompton (Dolorous Edd)...died when he triggered the Dalek's immune system

Third Episode - Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace Tyrell)...as you said, he was Quayle.

So now I'm very curious to see if we have anyone GoT actors in the next episode.

Ahh…. right.   Remembered those deaths after the last post and thought you might be referring to them, but didn't know the guys  (unfortunately not caught up on recent GoT, see…  ;P).  Will be neat to see that, as well!

September 12, 2014 10:42 am  #671

Folks seem to have been wittering on the Twittersphere about not being able to understand Peter's accent. No problem here...anyone had a problem? These Scots eh! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 12, 2014 4:57 pm  #672

I live with them!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 12, 2014 5:50 pm  #673

No problem at all here, but I'm from Glasgow originally, so that probably helps.  I don't think he has a particularly strong accent, though.  He was fine as Malcolm Tucker, wasn't he?

September 12, 2014 9:04 pm  #674

I'm Dutch and I didn't find him particularly difficult to understand. 

September 12, 2014 9:16 pm  #675

I have not much problems to understand him either. I found David Tennant much harder to understand because he speaks very quick. But on the other hand, I watch the new episodes with subtitles, which of course supports understanding a lot. But I saw Deep Breath in cinema (without subtitles) and could follow the dialogues without much problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 14, 2014 10:05 am  #676

Has everybody seen Listen now?  I'll put anything important in spoiler tags, just in case. 

Wow! I loved this episode.  My favourite from the new series.   I cried.  Damn you, Moffat, you jerker of tears, you.  Capaldi is my favourite Doctor ever, already, and Clara just keeps getting better.  Danny got some backstory and looks like he could be interesting.  I thought this episode was genuninely scary too. I'd have been terrified watching it as a child! 

I WAS terrified watching Doctor Who sometimes as a child.  So seeing the child Doctor scared of the dark felt particularly touching.  (Although the crying wasn't convincing, which is a shame.  They could have used any child actor or even an adult actor who could mimic a child's crying well).  I loved the "fear is a super-power" speech.  "Fear makes companions of us all", and the development of the relationship between the companion, Clara and the Doctor.  Great stuff!

Last edited by Liberty (September 14, 2014 10:06 am)

September 14, 2014 6:22 pm  #677

Idem dito, really great episode, lovely time paradox/horror thingy and the ending was really touching. 

September 15, 2014 1:55 am  #678

Aww, man.. you two are confirming the few comments I heard (and general feel from the preview, of course) of how good this one looked.  Capaldi does seem to be rocking it!  I'm so glad he's such a good fit for it.  Different accent aside..   (said in teasing affection.  I always have captions on for everything, so no big deal there)   Darn friend with cable not being available… have to catch her recording soon.  Or should I just break down and buy the ep sooner on amazon…?  ;P

September 15, 2014 5:56 am  #679

The "Listen" episode---   wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

September 15, 2014 9:03 am  #680

I saw some gifs of the last episode, and it looks amazing. It seems as if The Doctor and Clara really have an interesting relationship... and I absolutely love what I've seen so far from Capaldi, he really seems to be another perfect Doctor again (for me) after David Tennant. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera