BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2014 3:46 pm  #221

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

I love Grapes of Wrath. He wrote some other really good novels as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 4, 2014 4:15 pm  #222

I'm finishing "Sherlock Holmes and the phantom of the opera" and i have to dig on the pile of unread book one which will appeal me^^

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 4, 2014 5:09 pm  #223

Davina wrote:

I love Grapes of Wrath. He wrote some other really good novels as well.

He's still my favourite author. I was introduced to him at school. We had to read Of Mice And Men and I fell for it instantly. I must have read East Of Eden five times now. Hm, should read it again soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 4, 2014 5:12 pm  #224

I started Grapes of Wrath when I was a teen I think, but never got past chapter 1!
This time I had to read it for my book group.
I liked it, tho the ending is weird.
I would certainly give his others a go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 12, 2014 6:29 pm  #225

Finished the 3rd Game of Thrones book. Now battling my way through Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 12, 2014 6:34 pm  #226

Oh I'm so glad you asked!
Just finished the firsrt oif Mark's novels.
It was so delicious, I immediately had to order the other two and they just arrived today.
Hooray!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 12, 2014 7:25 pm  #227

I'm reading a book called A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby and it's very, very good. It's just been turned into a film starring Pierce Brosnan, but I want to finish the book before I give that a try. I'm always very dubious of film adaptations of books as I tend to let my imagination run away with me and then get disappointed when the film isn't what I expected. But I think I'll give it a try anyway...

August 13, 2014 6:45 pm  #228

I'm reading Hamlet...

My mother found me reading it last time I visited her, and called me a slow reader since she knew I had been reading it since I was a young teen... So what. I happen to like the play. A lot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 16, 2014 6:40 pm  #229

I just finished reading 1984 by George Orwell (we had to read it for school) and I absolutely loved it!! This book really gave me something to think about. I found it very impressive. Does somone here also know it?

Next book will be something by Shakespeare, maybe Macbeth.

Last edited by SebbyM (August 16, 2014 6:41 pm)

August 16, 2014 6:50 pm  #230

1984?  One of the most famous books of all time!
It frightened the life out of me, but yes, I loved it too.
Have you read his Animal Farm?

August 16, 2014 7:10 pm  #231

No, I haven't (not yet ) Is it as good as 1984?

August 16, 2014 7:12 pm  #232

Yes.

And when you like that, you should probably try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 16, 2014 7:12 pm  #233

That, I still have to read.

August 18, 2014 11:00 am  #234

Yes, it is as good as 1984. Another interesting take on totalitarianism.

August 20, 2014 12:41 am  #235

I read Animal Farm in middle school and 1984 in college.  Definitely makes you think, both of them.  Orwell was a magnificent writer.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 28, 2014 6:10 am  #236

I've just finished "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame" by Victor Hugo. What a depressing book.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

August 28, 2014 6:18 am  #237

I have 3 trilogies I want to complete at the moment.
I've almost finished book 2 of the first of them.
It's the ' Slated' teen fiction series by Terri Terry.

August 28, 2014 9:43 am  #238

I've now started the Sookie Stackhouse books since True Blood has finished. They are a bit disorientating as they are not the same as the series in some respects: some characters are missing, others in the book are not in the series, things happen to characters that do not happen in the series etc. but I am enjoying them. I ave put Vanity Fair in hold at present as I was just finding it to heavy going and reading is supposed to be a pleasure not a chore. 

September 5, 2014 3:38 pm  #239

I've just finished this:

And now I'm reading this:

Just like old times...

September 5, 2014 6:24 pm  #240

"Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13" by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger
and
"Fiasco" by Stanisław Lem

Last edited by Deilenn (September 5, 2014 6:25 pm)

The Road goes ever on and on...

Board footera