BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2014 5:14 am  #141

Re: Emmy nominations for HLV

I had a quick round of press reaction to Sherlock's win yesterday and I must say I was not impressed. Mostly there are 3 variants:
1. Not mention at all (like NYT)
2. Mentioned briefly like "unexpected" dot.
3. Mentioned like "iunexpected" with innuendo "disappointing" or "not deserved"
American articles seem the most mean, but British press didn't impress me, either.

August 27, 2014 5:26 am  #142

And another aaaawwwww!       Awesome and fitting use of that image!  Still so happy for them.
Although Steven looks a little…. zoned out?   

Hee.  Although…. wow… to keep hearing your comments about lack of mentions… still surprised!  I know from listening to many of you that other countries are sometimes bad about it, but even the Times??  And sure, not everyone knows about every single show out there, but after several years and all the buzz it (and the people involved) have gotten, surely it's a little hard to miss.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 27, 2014 6:55 am  #143

The German papers often did not mention "Sherlock" at all, just concentrating on the series category and "Breaking Bad", naming this show as the big winner. Very disappointing. 

Just found this on the Variety website. Of course Moffat was joking but I am not sure he did Benedict a favour as he and Martin have been criticised for not showing up:

"Moffat joked that Cumberbatch is now “too big to come to the Emmys,” but admitted that wrangling the busy stars has always been a challenge, given that they have no ongoing deals with the cast and are required to pitch them every year. “We all know what’s happening with ‘Sherlock’ is unusual, we know this won’t happen again in our lives … we’re keen to keep making ‘Sherlock’ as long as it’s a good show,” he promised."

Last edited by SusiGo (August 27, 2014 7:32 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 27, 2014 7:48 am  #144

Right, like dpa didn't ... Breaking Bad and True Detective, that's about it.
One comment in the tagesschau.de even said it was a lie that Sherlock won 7.

But I won't be depressed because this is my post #6000 and I wonder what happens - next! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 27, 2014 7:50 am  #145

Congrats, Harriet! *tossing confetti and getting the bubbly* 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 27, 2014 7:54 am  #146

... and it didn't even hurt 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 27, 2014 7:55 am  #147

Harriet. Post number 6000 and you're practically bashing dpa. I don't approve. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 27, 2014 7:59 am  #148

Probably dpa is one major source of evil in this matter 

August 27, 2014 8:06 am  #149

And in the US there have been quite a lot of snide remarks about the quality of the show and the non-appearance of the actors. One critic even stated that he loves BBC productions shows as such and that they are superior to most US productions but that Sherlock and Dr Whoe were "smug and infuriating". 

August 27, 2014 8:08 am  #150

LOL, I'd also love to "infuriate" that critic! 

August 27, 2014 8:10 am  #151

Yes, it is an award in itself. 

August 27, 2014 8:17 am  #152

I'd say that critic finds Moffat smug and infuriating, because it's a bit hilarious to pretend that "Sherlock" and "Doctor Who" are pretty much the same kind of shows. But they're probably just too smug for that critic.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 27, 2014 9:58 am  #153

The twwets of Amanda, Richard Armitage and Simon Pegg about the win are really lovely (and funny).

August 27, 2014 12:23 pm  #154

SusiGo wrote:

And in the US there have been quite a lot of snide remarks about the quality of the show and the non-appearance of the actors. One critic even stated that he loves BBC productions shows as such and that they are superior to most US productions but that Sherlock and Dr Whoe were "smug and infuriating". 

"Smug" ?

"POT"   "KETTLE"

Have we gotten any actual reaction quotes from Ben or Martin yet?

Last edited by tonnaree (August 27, 2014 12:23 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 27, 2014 12:29 pm  #155

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 27, 2014 1:49 pm  #156

I was wondering if Martin and Benedict were up or already sleeping when they got their awards, I got a half of the answer 

I like the picture above. Take your Emmy for a ride!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 27, 2014 5:16 pm  #157

Brits have a tendency to be cast in the role of 'baddy' in US dramas and films so I guess that goes for the Emmy's as well eh! I do think that Breaking Bad is amazing though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 27, 2014 6:08 pm  #158

I am wondering, however, why we haven't got a word from Benedict. It has been almost two days already. Has he gone to the jungle?

August 27, 2014 6:28 pm  #159

Doing the tiger?

August 27, 2014 6:51 pm  #160

SusiGo wrote:

Really?  To be honest, I haven't heard any.  Most people have put it down to "they didn't think they had any chance to win".  You can see that Moffat himself didn't think they had any chance of winning.  But I'm sure there are some assholes out there.  I wouldn worry, because that's not the attitude of most people.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera