BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2012 9:51 pm  #1

All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

I didn't see a topic with all the Sherlock stories listed so I thought to make one. If there already is one general topic for these stories, I apologize and moderators feel free to lock this.

I'm reading this finnish Sherlock short story collection and have read the stories "A Scandal in Bohemia", "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League" and "A Case of Identity" so far and really liked them all. The second one reminded me of Woody Allen's movie SMALL TIME CROOKS where the guys put up a pastry shop as a front to be able to dig a tunnel in the basement to the bank next door. I wonder if Woody's read the book in question.

Here you can have general discussion of all the short stories and novels. So, who here has read all ACD's Sherlock stories? Which do you prefer of the novels? I've only read Baskervilles so far and loved it.

4 novels:

"A Study in Scarlet" (published 1887)
"The Sign of the Four" (published 1890)
"The Hound of the Baskervilles" (serialised 1901–1902 in The Strand)
"The Valley of Fear" (serialised 1914–1915)

The short story collections:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Contains 12 stories published in The Strand between July 1891 and December 1892 with original illustrations by Sidney Paget.

"A Scandal in Bohemia" (Irene Adler appears)
    "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League"
    "A Case of Identity"
    "The Boscombe Valley Mystery"
    "The Five Orange Pips"
    "The Man with the Twisted Lip"
    "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle"
    "The Adventure of the Speckled Band"
    "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb"
    "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor"
    "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet"
    "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches"

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Contains 12 stories published in The Strand as further episodes of the Adventures between December 1892 and November 1893 with original illustrations by Sidney Paget.

"Silver Blaze"
    "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box"
(this story is included as part of His Last Bow in American editions of the canon)
    "The Adventure of the Yellow Face"
    "The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk"
    "The Adventure of the Gloria Scott"
(Holmes's first case, described to Watson)
    "The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual" (another early case, told by Holmes to Watson)
    "The Adventure of the Reigate Squire"
    "The Adventure of the Crooked Man"
    "The Adventure of the Resident Patient"
    "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter"
(Mycroft appears for the first time)
    "The Adventure of the Naval Treaty"
    "The Final Problem"
(Watson reports the death of Holmes)

The Return of Sherlock Holmes

Contains 13 stories published in The Strand between October 1903 and January 1905 with original illustrations by Sidney Paget.

"The Adventure of the Empty House" (the return of Holmes)
    "The Adventure of the Norwood Builder"
    "The Adventure of the Dancing Men"
    "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist"
    "The Adventure of the Priory School"
    "The Adventure of Black Peter"
    "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton"
    "The Adventure of the Six Napoleons"
    "The Adventure of the Three Students"
    "The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez"
    "The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter"
    "The Adventure of the Abbey Grange"
    "The Adventure of the Second Stain"

His Last Bow

Contains seven stories published 1908–1913, 1917.

"The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge" (originally published simply as "A Reminiscence of Mr Sherlock Holmes," this story is made up of two parts given separate titles: "The Singular Experience of Mr. John Scott Eccles" and "The Tiger of San Pedro")
    "The Adventure of the Red Circle"
    "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans"
(Mycroft appears)
    "The Adventure of the Dying Detective"
    "The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax"
    "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot"
    "His Last Bow"
(told in third-person)

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Contains 12 stories published 1921–1927.

"The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone" (told in third-person)
    "The Problem of Thor Bridge"
    "The Adventure of the Creeping Man"
    "The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire"
    "The Adventure of the Three Garridebs"
    "The Adventure of the Illustrious Client"
    "The Adventure of the Three Gables"
    "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier"
(narrated by Holmes; Watson does not appear)
    "The Adventure of the Lion's Mane" (narrated by Holmes; Watson does not appear)
    "The Adventure of the Retired Colourman"
    "The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger"
    "The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 15, 2012 10:01 pm  #2

Re: All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

I don't think we have a list of them, certainly not set out like this. Really useful. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2012 10:05 pm  #3

Davina wrote:

I don't think we have a list of them, certainly not set out like this. Really useful. Thank you.

We do actually. I remember doing it at the start.
*sobs* Am I that forgettable?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 10:11 pm  #4

I looked for it but clearly didn't see. Maybe I will have to go a bit deeper. Was it posted in this topic? I had a niggling feeling I had seen them but...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2012 10:15 pm  #5

Sorry about that, kaz. I wasn't trying to step into your shoes. For one they're too small for my clown feet. So where that topic of yours, then?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 15, 2012 10:20 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

I looked for it but clearly didn't see. Maybe I will have to go a bit deeper. Was it posted in this topic? I had a niggling feeling I had seen them but...

It has me baffled too actually. This topic didn't exist back then.

IdigN1- no apology necessary, & thanks for posting this as mine seems to have flown the coop somehow, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 10:25 pm  #7

I'm sure I had one set out just as you have up there but never mind; I have found where I listed all stories in another thread, after the initial posts:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=215&p=1

My Alzheimer's is coming along quite nicely, thanks for asking.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 10:28 pm  #8

Damn, and I copied my list from Wikipedia as well. I wish mine had at least been a bit more original. With pictures of flowers, butterflies and unicorns or something. Oh well. We should use your thread then, since there's more discussion on it already.

June 15, 2012 10:31 pm  #9

NO. The other thread is about unpublished stories, leave this here.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 11:12 pm  #10

Yeah this is a different thread and it's handy that the list is right at the top so people can use it for reference.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 18, 2012 3:38 pm  #11

Just won this finnish Sherlock Holmes novel collection at a net auction for 4 euros. It contains the first three novel collections. So that's 37 Sherlock novels for some light summer reading. This makes me happy. There's also this finnish collection with all 56 Sherlock novels (1300 pages) but it's too pricey for me at the moment.

June 21, 2012 6:45 pm  #12

Dramagod wrote:

Just won this finnish Sherlock Holmes novel collection at a net auction for 4 euros. It contains the first three novel collections. So that's 37 Sherlock novels for some light summer reading. This makes me happy. There's also this finnish collection with all 56 Sherlock novels (1300 pages) but it's too pricey for me at the moment.

It finally arrived today.

June 28, 2012 5:27 am  #13

I use this site for reference; What I like about it is that it lists the year of supposed action, as the timeline jumps back and forth.
Not much use for BBC Sherlock, as Moftiss have their own timeline, but fun for following the originals.

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/landzastanza/publication.html

June 28, 2012 4:54 pm  #14

Thanks, deerstalker; that's very helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 28, 2012 5:01 pm  #15

Thanks Deerstalker. You are a very helpful hat!

July 9, 2012 11:37 pm  #16

drama!!   that's Jeremy Brett on the cover of your book!!  OOOOHHH  congrats on winning that.   Ok  I  loved your list.   But  isn't there a story  called  "How Watson learned the trick"?   I  could have sworn there was that story  in one of the collections  that I had,  but maybe I'm wrong. I  had found these separate  collection books in old bookstores long ago,  but when I got the big  book that had all 60  stories in it,  I gave those up.    I cannot recall which collection it was in, either...Memoirs,  Casebook,  Adventures, or Return.   Can anyone shed any light on this?  My  memory's not tooo good these days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 9, 2012 11:44 pm  #17

Don't know about that story you mentioned. I copy/pasted the list from Wikipedia. Maybe someone else knows?

Speaking of Jeremy Brett, the whole series starring Brett is available now on DVD for mere 20 pounds (new) at amazon co uk and includes the whole series, that's 16 discs. When I have the extra money, I'm buying that baby.

July 10, 2012 12:33 am  #18

"How Watson Learned the Trick" was one of two parodies by ACD.  I have it in "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" Volume II -  Introduction and Notes by Kyle Freeman.  I haven't read it yet.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 10, 2012 5:36 pm  #19

Oh  you  lucky  person, you,  KP!!   I  could swear  I  had  that very same story  in MY  book the complete sherlock holmes, but I do not.  I  have the one that was sold at barnes and noble,  with the preface written by Christopher Morley.   Is there any way to get a singular copy of it,  online?   No,  I don't have an e reader as of yet.   

dramagod--  yep--I  have that whole JB series on dvd too--  you  will enjoy it.  It  is well  worth the money,  to get ALL of the stories that JB filmed,  plus the deleted scenes not shown on tv in your country.   Not to mention the hours of enjoyment  and observations done by Brett  and  the 2 actors who played Watson.  most enjoyable.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 10, 2012 5:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 10, 2013 8:31 am  #20

You missed a few, Dramagod.

How Watson learned the trick
The Field Bazaar

Holmes not mentioned, but probably him:

The Lost Special
The man with the watches

The play Conan-Doyle ''A Drama in Four Acts''

and the unfinished ''The Adventure of the Tall Man''

These are often not included in the Canon, but they are fun to read for the true fan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

Board footera