BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2014 5:06 pm  #601

Re: The Imitation Game

Brilliant. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 23, 2014 6:13 pm  #602

At least it is coming to Denmark... I was a bit worried it wouldn't even come. 

I still remember waiting ages for a Cillian Murphy film to come... emailing several theaters to get confirmation that it was running at all and was promised it would. Only to find out it was only a DVD release here...

But like I said, an early Birthday present isn't too bad either... I could always wish for a theater ticket for my Birthday and rewatch it to get all the details! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 28, 2014 2:14 pm  #603

The film will have its world premiere at this years's Telluride Festival:

http://www.telluridefilmfestival.org

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-telluride-film-festival-birdman-rosewater-wild-20140827-story.html

Last edited by SusiGo (August 28, 2014 2:15 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 28, 2014 2:26 pm  #604

Nervous and excited for reviews to start coming out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 28, 2014 2:26 pm  #605

Far far away ... why always out of reach???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 29, 2014 11:43 am  #606

Here is a link to the programme (p. 15). I take it that Benedict will not be there, just the director Morten Tyldum. 

http://www.telluridefilmfestival.org/pdfs/41st_TFF_program_guide_FINAL.pdf

August 29, 2014 11:53 am  #607

gently69 wrote:

Far far away ... why always out of reach???

Because then once he's finally within reach, it'll be all the more special. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 30, 2014 8:38 am  #608

Great reactions after the screening at Telluride, apparently. Well... I knew it.

This review is not spoiler-free:
http://cumbertrekky.tumblr.com/post/96155984021/the-imitation-game-telluride-review

Another one:
http://anindoorkitty.tumblr.com/post/96152674834/imitation-game-demands-oscars-attention-analysis

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 30, 2014 8:53 am  #609

This is brilliant. I am so very happy. 

August 30, 2014 8:56 am  #610

Oh, you're not the only one.
Trouble is, I'm now getting even more impatient to finally see the film! Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait..!!!

August 30, 2014 9:03 am  #611

August 30, 2014 9:55 am  #612

Thanks for sharing, Solar, a good read that raises important questions. We got to see 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2014 3:04 pm  #613

And another one. You'll find this in the review:
But it is Cumberbatch’s show, despite the strong supporting cast. You can’t take your eyes off him. It will be counted as one of the best performances of the year.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2014/08/true-stories-of-political-oppression-grief-recovery-and-imitation-games/

August 30, 2014 3:35 pm  #614

The last review mentions something I thought when reading the more critical review above: We should not reduce Turing to his sexuality. He was gay but the thing for which he mainly should be remembered is his work. He was a genius and did research on so many important subjects in biology, mathematics, and computer science. And it is a tragic fact that he never had a stable, loving relationship with anyone. I think this may be the saddest fact about his personal life. He was punished for sexual relations with a young man he had met in the street and who stole money from him because he did not love Turing but was just interested in him financially. And yet this resulted in his hormone treatment and probably later on his death. 
Someone criticised that he is shown dancing with Joan Clarke. Well - in fact shortly before his death he dreamed of going to Norway because he had heard that there were club in which men could  dance with each other. In his home country he was not even allowed to do that. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 30, 2014 3:36 pm)

August 30, 2014 3:50 pm  #615

Sob.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 30, 2014 4:07 pm  #616

While in the neighbour country France, since 1791 with the French Revolution, homosexual acts between consenting adults were no more considered a crime nor an offence.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2014 4:08 pm  #617

Yes, in some ways the French were quite progressive. 

August 30, 2014 6:07 pm  #618

SusiGo wrote:

The last review mentions something I thought when reading the more critical review above: We should not reduce Turing to his sexuality. He was gay but the thing for which he mainly should be remembered is his work. He was a genius and did research on so many important subjects in biology, mathematics, and computer science. And it is a tragic fact that he never had a stable, loving relationship with anyone. I think this may be the saddest fact about his personal life. He was punished for sexual relations with a young man he had met in the street and who stole money from him because he did not love Turing but was just interested in him financially. And yet this resulted in his hormone treatment and probably later on his death. 
Someone criticised that he is shown dancing with Joan Clarke. Well - in fact shortly before his death he dreamed of going to Norway because he had heard that there were club in which men could  dance with each other. In his home country he was not even allowed to do that. 

I agree with everything you say here, Susi.
Furthermore, we are talking about a movie here that, as far as I know, does not want to be a biopic about Alan Turing. And even if it might have a lot of elements that a biopioc usually has, every biopic leaves certain things out and has to decide for certain details and against others. What ultimately will count for me is the flow of the story and whether or not I feel that the movie works as a movie, if you know what I mean. I don't want them to tick off every last detail of Alan's life. And let's face it: movies just don't work like that.  

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 30, 2014 6:08 pm)

August 30, 2014 8:36 pm  #619

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/telluride-benedict-cumberbatch-leads-weinsteins-729266

'For a film made by a director whom few in America have ever heard of, The Imitation Game=certainly came into the Telluride Film Festival with a lot of buzz -- having Sherlock's newly-minted Emmy winner Benedict Cumberbatch as its star and marketing maven Harvey Weinstein's Weinstein Co. as its distributor certainly didn't hurt -- but it will be leaving here with even more, thanks to a very well received world premiere on Friday evening at the Werner Herzog Theatre.'

'But the best thing that it has in its favor is the performance of Cumberbatch as Alan Turing, the British mathematician who was recruited by MI6 during World War II to try to decode intercepted German communications. The good news for "Cumberbitches" (the self-ascribed nickname adopted by some of his legions of fans) is that, at least on the big screen, their man has never been better.'

Guys. GUYS. GUYS!!!

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (August 30, 2014 8:36 pm)

August 31, 2014 2:12 am  #620

Excellent.
But did they not get the memo about the B word?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera