BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2014 3:20 pm  #21

Re: Emmy nominations for HLV

I think that BAFTA's are more about real acting than Emmy. Very often is more how much the producer and the broadcaster advertise and promote the show to the jury. If you will see an increase of interviews about Sherlock in USA, maybe they have a chance. But as it is... i think none of them will get it. They are against FARGO who at the moment push only BBT and Allison Tolman (with a few interviews about Hanks as well). Nothing about Martin Freeman, thought he got two nominations - i knew it right at the CC TV Awards that he had no chance, as well when the interviewer on red carpet didn't ask BBT a thing about MF ( like, you are against your colleague, your thoughts, blah blah blah) and when MF didn't bother to come to the awards.  They are also in both acting categories against the actors of The Normal Heart, who has right now a momentum and the right thema to impress the judges. BBT, Ruffallo and Bomer have the best bets on different awards analyses, so i would not hold my breath. If they didn't won for the amazing TRF, i don't think they have now a chance. Plus that BBC doesn't seem to play the awards game and push its actors. Sadly. 

But getting those nomination and attention is nonetheles a great thing, even if they won't get an award at the end of the day. 

I don't think that Sherlock has a chance against The Normal Heart in the movie categorie (by the hype alone, i haven't see it). Sherlock may get in the other categories something thought. For example, i will be pleased if they get the music Emmy.

July 11, 2014 4:30 pm  #22

I think that BAFTA's are more about real acting than Emmy. Very often is more how much the producer and the broadcaster advertise and promote the show to the jury. If you will see an increase of interviews about Sherlock in USA, maybe they have a chance.

Well, yes and no.  The BAFTAs are making their selection from a much, much smaller pool of nominees.  The campaigning that goes on prior to Emmy nominations is so that voters remember you exist.  There are literally hundreds of shows and performers that are eligible to be nominated and it's impossible for voters to remember them all.  For Your Consideration ads, screeners, interviews with the actors & creative teams, etc. is for voter awareness.  They can't vote for you if they don't know you exist or they've forgotten about you.

I don't see how the Emmys are any better or worse than the BAFTAs in recognizing talent.  In fact, just looking at the Lead Actor field, two of the nominees are previous BAFTA winners.  Two more are previous BAFTA nominees.  Who in the Lead Actor field doesn't deserve to be there or is only there because of campaigning?  I fail to see who is coasting on hype alone.

They are against FARGO who at the moment push only BBT and Allison Tolman (with a few interviews about Hanks as well). Nothing about Martin Freeman, thought he got two nominations - i knew it right at the CC TV Awards that he had no chance, as well when the interviewer on red carpet didn't ask BBT a thing about MF ( like, you are against your colleague, your thoughts, blah blah blah) and when MF didn't bother to come to the awards.

There are no interviews with Martin Freeman because he's not available to do them.  Allison Tolman is brand new to the business and not working on anything else.  Billy Bob Thornton is a busy man but he lives in Los Angeles so he certainly has an easier job making time for this sort of stuff than Martin does.  

And the Critics Choice Television Awards are a joke.  They're only slightly more respected than the Teen Choice Awards or the MTV Movie Awards.  Nobody pays attention to them and nobody makes time for them.  Martin was working.  There was no reason for him to reschedule his life around for that.  I was shocked that both Billy Bob Thornton and Matthew McConaughey showed up.  Most of the big names skipped it.

If they didn't won for the amazing TRF, i don't think they have now a chance.

The Reichenbach Fall was never submitted for Emmy consideration.  A Scandal in Belgravia was.  Hartswood Films dropped the ball on that one.

Plus that BBC doesn't seem to play the awards game and push its actors. Sadly.

The BBC has nothing to do with it.  PBS is responsible and they've done a pretty remarkable job scoring nominations for both Sherlock and Downton Abbey (in the much more competitive Drama categories).  Some of the big name critics expected Cumberbatch to win the Emmy in 2012 purely based on the buzz that PBS had created for him.  They're doing a fine job, but Sherlock has strong (this year, very strong) competition and there's nothing that can be done about that.

PBS may not be HBO, but they're certainly not BBC America.  If Sherlock were on BBC America it wouldn't have 29 Emmy nominations to show for it.

July 11, 2014 5:38 pm  #23

Asyouwish, you gave me some very interesting things to think about. Thank you! I didn't know for the instance that not BBC have to do the work, pfeu, i was about to go away on my love for them  (just kidding).  I have also thought that in 2012 the submission was for a whole mini-series not only for an episode (and why on earth they choose the first one and not the last one?). 

I still think that is more about name recognition and promotion and less about talent, because those who don't do it, won't be considered for the awards. Naturally, with the pool of talent outthere, none of the nominee is a weak one. But perhaps there are better ones never getting there, you know what i mean? And that less in the miniseries, as there are not so many new in a year, but in drama category for sure. Yes, there are many shows, but somehow those who votes can simply not look at all the shows they get submitted. This is for me injust, would be good to find a solution to support also the actors from the small projects to get recognition. Perhaps some awards for small budget projects? I know that they have already too many awards to look for, but some actors will remain in obscurity for ever - look how lovely is to have the discovery of Tolman this year.

As for interviews, we are in the era with internet, telefon and video conferences. If you want an interview, you have loads of posibilities. You don't have to live in LA. 

July 11, 2014 8:42 pm  #24

I'm just glad our boys and our show got several nominations. It would be amazing if they won, but to be nominated is certainly noteworthy. Benedict sounds quite happy about the nomination, and if Ben's happy, I'm happy!

July 11, 2014 8:54 pm  #25

Sorry, haven't time to read through all this, so sorry if somebody has already said.
But I was screaming at the TV today, when they showed a clip from The Great Game...amd it was the BBC, too.

Last edited by besleybean (July 11, 2014 8:55 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2014 7:55 am  #26

Side of Angels wrote:

I'm just glad our boys and our show got several nominations. It would be amazing if they won, but to be nominated is certainly noteworthy. Benedict sounds quite happy about the nomination, and if Ben's happy, I'm happy!

Brilliant. Couldn't say it any better!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 13, 2014 8:54 am  #27

Well, whoever thinks that awards in general have anything to do with quality and true talent, should think again. Awards are mostly about film industry politics and money. 
Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't be really happy for anyone from Sherock who takes away an Emmy. But even the notion that for example as an actor you can increase your market value and get more job offers when you win an Oscar says it all. So before you won an Oscar you were a talentless little idiot...? That's all just a little bit absurd.

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 13, 2014 8:58 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 13, 2014 10:56 pm  #28

Well, let's not forget that TV and the movies are show business...and the emphasis is on business.  And while the awards ostensibly reward creativity and originality, there is an underlying money-making aspect to them in that it takes money to publicize the nominated performances.  PBS doesn't have a whole lot of money for advertising and I suspect far more people have seen some of those other shows than they have Sherlock, even if the ratings for Sherlock were the highest PBS has ever garnered. 

I'd love to see Sherlock win some acting awards and certainly think they have a chance for the music Emmy.  But, for Benedict and Martin, I think their reward is that they have become world-famous and in-demand actors as a result of their work in Sherlock.  Interesting work--in other projects as well as in the TV show--and steady paychecks probably count for a lot more, and a shiny statue is probably less important to them, though it would still be meaningful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 18, 2014 1:29 am  #29

And we want to think positive = )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------               

-------> I am
SHER - LOCKED <-------

August 2, 2014 9:30 pm  #30

So, now i have watched The normal heart. Nice film, big message, very important times. I am sure it will get the film category. 

My only discontent was exactly the main couple. Too many cliche boxes checked. Typical HBO. Really really... Such a pity...

And if someone should get an Emmy for their part for the film, i would choose Jim Parsons or Joe Mantello. They impressed me greatly. I still wonder why was Molina nominated.

August 17, 2014 10:17 am  #31

HLV hast won four creative Emmys: cinematography, sound editing, music composition, and picture editing. Congrats to the team! 

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-08-17/sherlock-wins-four-awards-as-the-creative-arts-emmys-2014

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 17, 2014 10:20 am  #32

Well deserved!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 17, 2014 10:25 am  #33

Well done Sherlock team.
So proud.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2014 11:19 am  #34

That´s great!! Congratulations!!!

August 17, 2014 1:07 pm  #35

Awesome news! And well deserved!!

Big Congrats to the team! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 17, 2014 1:31 pm  #36

Great news, they deserved it! The music in His Last Vow was beyond words. 

I'm also happy about Fargo and Orange is the new black. Not sure why Uzo Aduba is called a guest since she's in almost every episode, though. Who knows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 17, 2014 2:42 pm  #37

Extraordinary ... That's what I can say!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 18, 2014 4:12 am  #38

Awesome!  So happy they at least got recognized for amazing production.  And love Price's tweet: 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 18, 2014 2:31 pm  #39

Oooh sparkly!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 22, 2014 5:51 pm  #40

Ben will be at the Emmys on Monday  among the "Girls" cast, whyever!

Last edited by Ivy (August 22, 2014 5:53 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

Board footera