BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2014 11:11 pm  #1

Rhododendron ponticum photo

I've been having a discussion with someone about this episode and I found out I still don't understand something what isn't about how Sherlock survived.

It's about the rhododendron ponticum photo. Who sended it to him? Someone I talked to told me it was somebody from the homeless network but it doesn't make sense to me. Why would they send him pictures of every single plant in London and why would Sherlock say "matches" - matches to what? I always thought it was an extra clue from Moriarty - having it, he found the right place. But I feel I'm missing something...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 20, 2014 6:19 am  #2

Re: Rhododendron ponticum photo

I'm not sure, but I think he'd sent the homeless network out to look for sites with vegetation, asphalt, bricks, chocolate and chalk i.e. a brick sweet factory with vegetation in a chalky area.  I think the other pictures were of buildings, but maybe somebody sent the rhodedendron picture because it was the vegetation that stood out when they were looking at the site.  (Sherlock didn't really need to see photos at all - just know the locations).   So I don't think they were sending him pictures of plants around London, but just looking for 50s brick sweet factories with plants outside.

What's really odd is that rhodedendron grows in acid soil, rather than chalky soil.   It's a common garden escape in acid areas, but I think it would be more unusual to find it growing wild at a chalky factory site.  It's an odd choice of plant for this scene.  Unless there's more to the rhodedendron than it just ticking the "vegetation" box?

Last edited by Liberty (August 20, 2014 6:20 am)

August 21, 2014 8:56 pm  #3

Re: Rhododendron ponticum photo

So the person who sent him a picture of Addlestone (the building was in one of the photos) saw the plant, remembered the "vegetation" clue and sent a picture of it a moment later. Makes sense, even more if you assume that he wrote where he saw it but Sherlock didn't have to check, or he checked it but it wasn't shown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Board footera