BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2014 6:03 am  #121

Re: Sherlock and Mary

Liberty wrote:

Yes, that's true, and maybe John should have picked up on something at that point.   But all we see of Mary comes after John had decided to marry her.  We don't get to see what drew him to her in the first place, and how he instinctively felt that she was that kind of person. 

It also makes you wonder if it was something similar that drew Mary to John?

I think this is a very clever plot device. The perfect way to leave Mary ambiguous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 19, 2014 6:09 am  #122

Yes and explains why we don't immediately see everything on screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 21, 2014 12:47 am  #123

maryagrawatson wrote:

I maintain my position that we have absolutely nowhere near enough information to determine whether she is meant to be a protagonist or antagonist. Just because she's done bad things that we don't understand doesn't necessarily make her an antagonist. Isn't there a show on American TV about a serial killer who is actually the protagonist of the series? Same kind of situation could apply here.

Mary

That would be Dexter-- and he has a Code. He only kills other serial killers and untouchable murderers. No innocents, and not his freinds. Mary, apparently thinks it's okay to shoot her friends, if they get in her way. 

She befriended Sherlock, and made him think that she cared about him.  Sherlock's not had much experience with freindship, has he? 

What a lesson for him to learn. I'm suprised  that he didn't go back into "Alone protects me" mode after  this. 

August 21, 2014 6:03 am  #124

He needs an assistant and it didn't work out with Molly!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 21, 2014 6:22 pm  #125

No kidding. But Molly was the one who couldn't handle it. I think Sherlock enjoyed working with her, they had a nice chemistry. I always was dissapointed that it was impossible for her to keep working with him-- I think she should have seen it through--but her obession with Sherlock as a love interest keeps her from seeing that she might have a rare freindship to treasure instead. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 21, 2014 6:23 pm)

August 21, 2014 6:29 pm  #126

Oh I disagree.
Molly knows she has no chance wirth Sherlock.
She appreciates his friendship, but she can't help how she feels...

August 21, 2014 6:43 pm  #127

besleybean wrote:

Oh I disagree.
Molly knows she has no chance wirth Sherlock.
She appreciates his friendship, but she can't help how she feels...

I agree with you that by series three, Molly's crush on Sherlock has definitely matured and their relationship has changed. There is evidence to suggest that he spent some time at her place after the Fall. She is no longer fawning over him and he respects her and even seems fond of her. But I think she's still holding out hope for more.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 21, 2014 7:53 pm  #128

I think that by Season 3 Molly is genuinely trying to move on romantically--she loves Sherlock more, as a friend, but she's seen enough to know that romantically isn't going to happen. And I do think Sherlock is genuinely fond of Molly--he'll accept criticism and even teasing from her, and he goes to her for help with small things (like figuring out how much to drink without getting drunk!).

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 21, 2014 7:59 pm  #129

If Sherlock wasn't well, Sherlock...they would be a lovely couple.

August 21, 2014 8:15 pm  #130

This situation reminds me of the many times I've seen women fall in love with a guy who is Gay-- and they think that if only the guy "tried" to be with them, they would somehow fall in love, and being Gay wouldn't matter anymore.

It doesn't matter whether Sherlock is Gay or Asexual--or even straight--he's simply not interested in her romantically. It's sad for Molly,-- but I would really like to see her move on-- with someone who is not an obvious replacement/substitute for Sherlock. 

Another thing: I'm sure many of us have had someone repeatedly hit on us, when we were really not interested in them ..At. All. Most of us will try to be gracious, but sometimes it can get to a point where you're just DONE. And sometimes, that can make us mean. It doesn't make it right, and I'm sure that most of us would just want to crawl under the nearest rock when we've had to tell someone in no uncertain terms that we're not interested-- but there it is.

On the other hand, Sherlock played with Molly's feelings, when he wanted something from the morgue, he flirted. He was nice. He should have known better; and now he's having to live with the fallout. It may take a lot of work on his part to heal that freindship, and I think now--he knows that. 

Board footera