BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2014 2:55 am  #1701

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Wow this thread has been unusually quiet lately. Where is everybody? 

I have a question to the johnlockers: what reasons do you ship Johnlock? At what point of the show did you start? And do you think it will become canon?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 18, 2014 5:04 am  #1702

tykobrian wrote:

At what point of the show did you start?

I started watching the show after S2. About two months later I started reading fanfic. But I soon realized that (with a few exceptions) the best fanfics included Johnlock. So at first, I read them even though there was Johnlock. Then I didn't mind the emotional aspect of it but skipped the sexual parts. Then I read one I actually enjoyed, probably because in it John had to be convinced of Johnlock, just like me. Then I was lost.

tykobrian wrote:

And do you think it will become canon?

After watching S3, yes.

tykobrian wrote:

: what reasons do you ship Johnlock?

Good question. Like I've written above, at first it kind of happened. Now I love it because it touches a romantic string inside of me. And I have a weakness for pining Sherlock for some reason. I think that John and Sherlock would make a very interesting couple and love to read all kind of fanfics with all kind of interpretations of how their relationship could develope. And I am hopelessly romantic. And I love both of them and want to see them happy, and reading about them being together happily makes me happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 18, 2014 5:53 am  #1703

They can still be together and not a couple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 18, 2014 7:20 am  #1704

besleybean wrote:

They can still be together and not a couple.

This is exactly my problem. Provided John were an exclusively heterosexual healthy male and Sherlock were a gay how are they meant to be together? John having one-night stands or changing girlfriends on the side and afterwards returning to Sherlock for tea and cases? An eternal continuation of what he did in series 1? I have said it more than once that for me there is no way back to what they had before the fall. And even as early as series 2 things had started to change. After Jeanette there was no woman in John's life anymore, it seems he gave up dating after that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 18, 2014 1:59 pm  #1705

I started between S4 and S3.   Binge watched.
From the beginning Sherlock read as a gay character to me.  Nothing blatant or flaming, just sort of there. 
John seemed honestly attracted to Sherlock but uncertain and insecure. 
Over the course of 6 episodes I saw love and affection growing between the two. 
They seem to belong together.  They don't like it when other people come between them.
I can see them forming a Life long exclusive partnership that includes the physical expression of that love because they both would want all the other can offer.
That's why I ship Johnlock.  Not because something outside the show convinced me but because I saw it from the start.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 18, 2014 3:46 pm  #1706

Though of course others don't see Johnlock at all.
We'll see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 18, 2014 3:59 pm  #1707

besleybean wrote:

Though of course others don't see Johnlock at all.
We'll see.

"They" see but do not observe.  Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyways, don't mind me using some more quotes from the show to express how johnlock has been portrayed from the start. Just for fun.

"The art of disguise is hiding in plain sight.” 

"Sometimes a deception is so audacious, so outrageous that you can't see it even when it's staring you in the face"

EDIT: forgot to add the emoticon

Last edited by tykobrian (August 18, 2014 4:01 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 18, 2014 4:00 pm  #1708

... and "The Elephant in the Room" 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 18, 2014 4:13 pm  #1709

I just worry if anybody was to set up the writers for a fail:
I don't see any progression.
John has always been shown as straight and Sherlock as nothing...
Following the progression logic, wouldn't John returning to 221b be regression?

August 18, 2014 4:47 pm  #1710

Only if he returns and continues to be just friend and blogger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 18, 2014 4:54 pm  #1711

besleybean wrote:

I just worry if anybody was to set up the writers for a fail:
I don't see any progression.
John has always been shown as straight and Sherlock as nothing...
Following the progression logic, wouldn't John returning to 221b be regression?

How so?? 

August 19, 2014 5:39 am  #1712

Well I'm perfectly happy for John and Sherlock tio return to how they were before, but I dion't know if this would please everybody.

August 19, 2014 6:37 am  #1713

Nothing will ever please everybody.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 30, 2014 9:06 pm  #1714

So to enliven this thread a bit. Just found this and liked it:

“In August of 1889, Joseph Marshall Stoddart, who published the Lippincott’s Monthly Magazine in Philadelphia, came to London to organize a British edition of his magazine. He invited Conan Doyle for dinner in London at the elegant Langham Hotel which was to be mentioned later in a number of Holmesian adventures, and he also asked Oscar Wilde, who by then was already quite well known. 

Oscar Wilde appeared to be a languorous dandy, whereas Conan Doyle in spite of his best suit, looked somewhat like a walrus in Sunday clothes. Yet Oscar and Arthur got along like a house on fire. “It was indeed a golden evening for me.” Conan Doyle wrote of this meeting. As a result of this literary soirée, Lippincott’s commissioned the young doctor to write a short novel, which they published in England and the US in February of 1890. This story was The Sign of Four and was instrumental in establishing Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle once and for all in the annals of literature.”
—     
[x] So, in summary, Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle got along “like a house on fire” and the same night that they met was instrumental in the creation of Sherlock Holmes… 

(via the-navel-treatment)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2014 9:09 pm  #1715

This meeting is both famous and well dcoumented..
One of the greatest literary events ever noted.
Doyle was very fond of Wilde.
This does not alter the fact that his papers show he felt sorry for homosexuals as he considered them to be sick.

August 30, 2014 9:11 pm  #1716

That can also be read as an attempt to show compassion for people who were in his opinion falsely accused of being criminals.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2014 9:12 pm  #1717

I like that thought, Harriet. 

August 30, 2014 9:13 pm  #1718

That is exactly what he thought.
But he still considered them sick.

August 30, 2014 9:15 pm  #1719

To protect them. That doesn't have to be his real opinion then.

August 30, 2014 9:20 pm  #1720

He wrote in his diaries that he considered homosexualiity to be a vile aberration.

Board footera