BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2014 4:40 pm  #21

Re: A german story in newspaper: Sherlock Holmes, the heart-throb of women

Well, you know, it's the age-old story of the regular fan vs. the extremes. The media usually only focus on the latter, because that's what's most "sensationalist" and sells better. It's not a new phenomenon, and probably started with the Trekkies -- all those stories about nerdy geeks dressing up in Star Trek uniforms, pretending to be characters from a TV show. (No offense meant, I consider myself to be a Trekkie as well, even though I don't actually have a uniform.) And of course there's countless other examples, from the music band fanatics to the Twilight moms.

While these days it may have become a bit more acceptable in society (e.g. cosplaying, conventions like FedCon, RingCon, SDCC, etc.) to be a geek, there will always be someone who'll try to make a quick buck by ridiculing those people who are passionate enough about something or someone to do things that others might consider weird or crazy. It becomes uncool when it turns into stalking or other obsessive behaviour that's more at the unhealthy end of the spectrum. But as long as it's all in good fun, I don't see anything wrong with being a fan of an actor or a TV show.

The "TV geeks" are often an easy target, because there is that old cliché about them being overweight, unattractive people who spend all their time in front of the TV or computer because they don't have a life. I'm sure there's a portion of of those fans in every fandom, but from my own experience with fandom people I know in real life, I can't think of anyone who really fits that cliché. Unfortunately, however, the media will always find those few and make them into yet another sensationalist story.

And, yes, I've done crazy things in the name of fandom. I don't feel ashamed for any of them. In fact, every single one of them has been super fun and enriched my life in many ways. I wouldn't want to give that up for anything. And I don't care if the media considers me weird for it. If life was fair, they'd also consider football fans who pay hundreds of Euros every year to watch 22 people kick a ball around a patch of grass for 90 minutes crazy geeks. But somehow that's perfectly acceptable in society. Hooray.

Last edited by TeeJay (August 10, 2014 4:41 pm)

August 10, 2014 4:55 pm  #22

Well, I HAD a life.... before all this! 

I just checked her homepage (if it is hers) and I quite like it. (You can also switch to English language if anyone else wants to check.....)
I can imagine that building and keeping such a site takes a lot of time. But what would we do without those people who sort things for us and show us things we maybe wouldn't see without them?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 10, 2014 5:07 pm  #23

Yes, I am very glad that these people spend so much time so that we can enjoy the results. A big hooray for Naomi from Cumberbatchweb. She is awesome, especially now with all those Hamlet inquiries. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 10, 2014 7:24 pm  #24

I stopped reading at "Sie nennen sich Cumberbitches" 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 10, 2014 8:11 pm  #25

This is getting so old. Will they be going on like that for the next twenty years?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 10, 2014 8:19 pm  #26

Mattlocked wrote:

I can imagine that building and keeping such a site takes a lot of time.

It does. I put together and still run two fansites, and they're for actors who are a lot less active than Benedict. It still takes a fair chunk of my spare time (next to my "real" full-time job) to update them regulary, especially doing screencaps and cutting together video clips. Of course for us webmasters it's also that we usually enjoy that kind of thing. I especially like the sharing aspect of fandom. It's twice as much fun if you find like-minded people to share the love with, right?

SusiGo wrote:

This is getting so old. Will they be going on like that for the next twenty years?

Sadly, the answer is probably yes. *sigh*

Last edited by TeeJay (August 10, 2014 8:21 pm)

Board footera