BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2014 9:14 am  #21

Re: Why did they bring the gun to Appledore?

Yes, I have my problem with Mary but you know that. 

Gently: The question is of course hypothetical but being in his usual form he might have seen it earlier. But the thing is it would not have changed anything as long as the vaults were in Magnussen's mind. He might not have threatened John via Mary but all the other people like Lord Smallwood. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 5, 2014 9:15 am  #22

SolarSystem wrote:

gently69 wrote:

Do you think he would have had control when not "distracted" by all this emotional stuff?

It's interesting. Susi drew my attention to a link earlier today which shows that Sherlock is wrong about something at the end of every series. Just think about it: TGG, TRF, HLV. And I think that each time he is distracted by emotions - and they always have to do with John. 

A point to put in the Johnlock thread? In both Johnlock threads???

Last edited by gently69 (August 5, 2014 9:16 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 9:17 am  #23

You have a point: because they twice created a villain who used Sherlock's pressure points, and John was among them both times. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 5, 2014 9:23 am  #24

I would sooooo love to write something now, but I don't want to turn yet another thread into a Johnlock thread. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 5, 2014 9:25 am  #25

Is it not strange how it seems one cannot write about any subject without this happening? Wonder why. 

And I just realised - not only that he is wrong at the end of all series but John is threatened every time. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 5, 2014 9:26 am)

August 5, 2014 9:28 am  #26

SusiGo wrote:

Yes. And this is a thing I love about series 3 while others dislike it for the same reason. We do not get the omniscient detective but the man who makes mistakes and doubts himself and has to learn so many things about himself and others. IMO this is what they mean by "a show about a detective". 

That sums it up perfectly and it is exactly why I like season 3 so much, you can see the journey of character so clearly and how having someone to love (whether it's in a romantic or a platonic way) probably for the first time changes your actions, your thinking, your behaviour and lets your learn things about yourself.

August 5, 2014 9:42 am  #27

Yes, Germansherlockfan, well-worded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 9:51 am  #28

SusiGo wrote:

Is it not strange how it seems one cannot write about any subject without this happening? Wonder why. 

Yes, because it's not just a show about a detective, but a show about a detective and his blogger. 
Question is, where is this going to lead to? With every series ending it got a little worse... what happened at The Pool was pretty harmless in comparison to The Fall, and then finally Sherlock is killing someone...! What next? Really, what next? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 5, 2014 9:55 am  #29

They will not keep doing this every time. I think this development culminated in Appledore and things will change. Next time we will get another sort of cliffhanger. And Sherlock is at a very low point in his personal arc and has to make progress by uniting his emotional and intellectual needs and abilities. 

August 5, 2014 10:09 am  #30

SusiGo wrote:

They will not keep doing this every time. I think this development culminated in Appledore and things will change. Next time we will get another sort of cliffhanger. And Sherlock is at a very low point in his personal arc and has to make progress by uniting his emotional and intellectual needs and abilities. 

I totally agree, I think he will learn somehow not only being distracted by those newfound emotions anymore, but to use them for his intellectual work and combine his emotional and his logicals skills to become even a better detective and a better man.

August 5, 2014 10:13 am  #31

Well said. And the creators have always said that they started with quite a young Holmes and Watson who are not the mature characters we get to know in Canon. 

August 5, 2014 1:34 pm  #32

One thing about John bringing the gun that I don't see brought up is that it makes him an accomplice to the murder and just as guilty as Sherlock. Why has he been gotten off the hook while Sherlock is being sent on a suicide mission?

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 5, 2014 1:39 pm  #33

John took the gun to the cottage at Sherlock's request.
Sherlock took John's coat out to the helocipter.
He fired the gun.
In no way is John an accompice to murder...I don't know if he has a gun licence. I suspect he does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2014 1:42 pm  #34

Exactly. I think it was a practical decision as Sherlock does not seem to own a gun. And he waited until Mycroft and the police were there to make that John would not be suspected. 

August 5, 2014 1:45 pm  #35

And told John to get right away from him.
Sherlock knew he was gonig down and did not want to take John with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2014 1:52 pm  #36

Exactly ... everything planned by Sherlock ... as his last resort.

Last edited by gently69 (August 5, 2014 2:01 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 1:57 pm  #37

I do not think Sherlock planned this...
It was in desperation, awaiting the arrival of Mycroft and people.

August 5, 2014 2:03 pm  #38

This was what made me start the thread. Why did he take the gun although it was probable they would be searched? 

August 5, 2014 2:03 pm  #39

No, of course Sherlock didn't plan to kill Magnussen right from the start.
But he knew that it will be the last resort if everything else fail.

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 2:09 pm  #40

I could be totally wrong, but I just do not think he planned to kill CAM.
I think Sherlock took the gun for self defence.

Board footera