BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2014 2:09 pm  #521

Re: The Imitation Game

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Although if I had unlimited funds I would hope MJN air and meet you ladies in Holland. 

...or we would fly over to you in November with MJN Air! 

THAT'S IT!   We'll charter a plane and you can all come visit a whole month in November.
Atlanta, Georgia is not as exciting as your great European cities but I can show you a good time.  

Who's on board?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 24, 2014 2:15 pm  #522

I want to go!!

So... I sort of 'get' the delay with the German releases due to dubbing etc etc... what's the excuse for the Danish delayed date. Sure it will need to be texted but how long can that take??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 24, 2014 2:51 pm  #523

I've seen on various websites that in Poland Imitation Game will be released probably on 5th December. And I don't believe it - so soon after premiere in UK and US? It doesn't sound like my country

Last edited by MartaSt (July 24, 2014 2:53 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

July 24, 2014 3:45 pm  #524

MartaSt wrote:

I've seen on various websites that in Poland Imitation Game will be released probably on 5th December. And I don't believe it - so soon after premiere in UK and US? It doesn't sound like my country

My actions and thoughts exactly 12 years a slave and August: Osage County were released in Poland on late January, five and four months after world premieres, and a huge part of the promotion were Oscar nominations. If it has been an effective strategy, they might do the same with The Imitation Game. The only factor I can think of that can speed up the premiere is the topic - films about WWII are quite popular in Poland and most people heard about Enigma. (I can bet this word will be in Polish title) About the date, I'll wait for official announcements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

July 24, 2014 4:55 pm  #525

Marta wrote:

(I can bet this word will be in Polish title) About the date, I'll wait for official announcements.

I can't wait to see how they're going to translate the title. Knowing the ability and creativity of our translators it will be "remarkable".  But I guess you're right - if they put word " enigma" in the title most of people will at least have a clue about topic of this movie ( I guess very few people know who Turing was).

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

July 24, 2014 6:48 pm  #526

This is quite interesting - an expert on Turing watches the trailer (and does not find too much fault):

http://aperiodical.com/2014/07/an-alan-turing-expert-watches-the-the-imitation-game-trailer/

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 24, 2014 7:51 pm  #527

Thanks for sharing! It has dispelled all my (very few) concerns (especially about this spy, I didn't remember him from Turing's biography so I thought they made him up).  It's funny that many fans are angry because of Joan character - if they spare less then 5 minutes to read something about Turing, they would easily discover who she was.

"

July 24, 2014 7:57 pm  #528

Exactly. I was also relieved to read his thoughts.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 25, 2014 7:25 am  #529

Amazing how some people have decided from a tiny trailer that the film isn't going to accurately portray the true story.
Some seem to have completely missed the part where Alan says he doesn't fancy Joan "in that way", and have decided the Movie will hide the fact that he was gay!
I think some people just like to have something to moan about!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

July 25, 2014 7:33 am  #530

When I showed the trailers to my boyfriend, he asked me afterwards if the movie would not deal with Alan being gay. He completely missed that short moment when Alan talks about not fancying Joan "in that way". I guess if you're not a native speaker and you're English isn't perfect, you might miss this.
Nevertheless, a trailer is just a trailer, it shows us two minutes of a movie that is 90 minutes long (or longer). Of course after seeing the trailer, we all are convinced that the film will be great - and we also only have those two minutes. In the end, everyone has to wait and watch the film for himself/herself and then decide.

Apart from all that: People who don't want to like the movie won't like it. It could portray every minute of Alan's life accurately, they'd probably still hate it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 25, 2014 7:38 am  #531

Exactly that - there will be some who dislike it whatever the case.
The trailer is very "Hollywood" - that's to be expected - but I feel there's enough there to make me optimistic for this Movie.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

July 25, 2014 7:46 am  #532

I guess it is pretty Hollywood (at least the US trailer), but I have seen much worse. There was not one moment that made me go something like 'oh my, what are they doing now...?'. What I hate in trailers (and movies, for that matter) are emotions that I just don't believe. And in this case I believed every second of it. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 25, 2014 7:48 am  #533

Also depends on the actor who shows these emotions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 25, 2014 7:53 am  #534

Oh, does it, gently? 

July 25, 2014 8:05 am  #535

You are laughing at me?????????????????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 25, 2014 8:15 am  #536

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jup4ylh7yU

I would never laugh at you! 

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 25, 2014 8:16 am)

July 25, 2014 8:22 am  #537

Okay, then I'm relieved.

David Tennant ... a nice Doctor ...

(Tony Hadley)

July 25, 2014 8:29 am  #538

I would always laugh with you though. 

Oh god yes. He's a wonderful Doctor. I had to say goodbye to him two days ago. I'm still in mourning. 

July 25, 2014 8:30 am  #539

The official movie website is now online:

http://theimitationgamemovie.com

July 25, 2014 8:40 am  #540

Ah, thank you, Susi.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera