BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2014 2:07 am  #1

Hello from Dubious Thoughts, UK

I've been putting this off for far too long. A need for an outlet for all of my Sherlockian frustrations and adorations has been manifesting for months, and now I have finally caved and joined a fan site. Godtiss help me.

Let's see... I've been a Fangirl for this particular fandom for a little over a year. I first watched the show because a friend harassed me into it. At first, I was a bit skeptical; Sherlock Holmes is such a popular topic in literature, film, and television, and I had read 'A Study in Scarlet' as a youngster and found that it didn't particularly appeal to me. However, I was being badgered to do it, so on a quiet weekend, I settled down into my desk chair, opened up Netflix, and watched the first episode. And then the second. And then the third. And then all six of the episodes (it was a late night). By the end I was a sobbing mess (as we all are) and thanking my lucky stars I only had about  six months until Series 3.

Since then, I have attempted to write 221bs and drabbles, which have resulted in....eeehh pieces. My artwork is far from impressive but still very fun to draw and paint, both digitally and traditionally. I have read my way through every satisfactory wingfic, Potterlock, Bondlock, Wholock, and various other AUs, as well as quite a few traditional fics on AO3. I stalk Tumblr but don't post anything because I'm a nervous little bee. Headcanons will murder me someday.

I find myself hesitant to put myself out here because the girl who originally referred me to the show is obsessive and often contradicted what I had to say about the show because she knew so much more from Tumblr and elsewhere, which cowed me to the point where I could barely talk about something that had changed my life because I felt horribly out-of-depth. I hope I can blend in a little more with a new set of knowledge.

I adore Benedict Cumberbatch. I think he's beautiful, extremely talented, and a very decent person, which, especially in his profession, is a rarity and something for which he should be commended. However, I recognise that he's old enough to be my father and therefore am perfectly fine with not being in love with someone I've never met. Does that make any sense? Admiration and adoration, but not obsession.

I am a Johnlocker first and foremost, but I also adore Mary and therefore Mary/John, as well as some cases of Sherlolly, lots of Mystrade, and MorMor (even though I realise Sebastian Moran is most likely never going to exist in the show the way we hope he will). NOTPs include Sheriarty, Johniarty, Holmescest, and Sherstrade. Phillip Anderson is a dunderhead, but we share a kindred spirit in our obsession with Sherlock and therefore I have begrudgingly forgiven him for being an idiot.

My absolute favourite character is Sherlock (no surprises there), but I share a kindred spirit and personality type with Mycroft Holmes and Jim Moriarty is the most fantastic villain to grace the television screen because his only motive is being bored. I do adore a true psychopath.

So bring it on, fans. I look forward to meeting you as a community and hope you'll accept all slightly insane (not in a good way, I'm afraid), serious, and motivated bits of me.

Laters,
BreathingIsBoring

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (July 22, 2014 4:43 am)

July 22, 2014 4:30 am  #2

Re: Hello from Dubious Thoughts, UK

Welcome from another one who is relatively new. I've only been in the Sherlock fandom for roughly two months now, so I can relate to that "out of depth" feeling. I've spent most of my time here so far reading theads, which has helped.

It's always good to have another Johnlocker on board! There seem to be quite a few of us here.

July 22, 2014 4:41 am  #3

The amount of fanfiction I have read is unhealthy. I think I expected the Johnlockers, but I also cringe when people put us down for something that is unlikely to happen in show canon. I do find, after perusing a few threads, I vehemently disagree with a few common opinions, but I'm a little intimidated to actually put my own out there, especially since I'm such a new user. Any advice, Sherlockians?

Is there a limit on how many times you can watch the same episodes without being considered obsessive? I'm definitely bordering that and I am slightly concerned o.o

Thank you for your welcome!

July 22, 2014 6:17 am  #4

Welcome!  I'm quite new to the forum too, and new to Sherlock by only a few weeks! 

I'm very interested in hearing your opinions, so I hope you do put them out there!   We don't all have to agree, but it's such fun to talk about this. 

July 22, 2014 6:26 am  #5

Oh, good. Maybe I can get some of my pent-up frustrations and urge to speak with people who don't give me are-you-crazy looks (especially since we are separated by a screen, muahahaha!)

July 23, 2014 5:52 am  #6

Hello and welcome to the forum! I quite like your introduction, nice having you here

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 23, 2014 6:03 am  #7

Thank you kindly.

July 23, 2014 4:16 pm  #8

Very sweet introduction - nice to have you around, welcome here! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

July 23, 2014 7:41 pm  #9

Welcome, Breathing, how nice to have one more Johnlocker on the board. (Of course we do discuss lots of other things as well). Have fun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 23, 2014 8:57 pm  #10

Hello from one Johnlocker to a nother;)

I am one of those SHIPer who prefer the visual stuff in Fanart and FFs.
Even if I would lie, if I say I would mind to see a hug or a kiss on the cheek on the show.

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

July 24, 2014 12:11 am  #11

Welcome to the forum, Breathing

"BreathingIsBoring" wrote:

I also cringe when people put us down for something that is unlikely to happen in show canon.

If we could ship only couples that actually might get together, 90% of ships would be gone Paraphasing Mrs. Hudson, ship and let ship. I'm a person who loves Johnlock as it is on the show, reads Johnlock fanfiction sometimes (and really likes the thread with quotes and pictures of the pool scene) but doesn't expect or want romantic Johnlock to actually happen on the show. I don't care if somebody calls me, or not, a Johnlocker. I think canon is one thing and fanart, fanfiction is another one, and nothing is bad just because it's "unlikely to happen on the show"

Oh, and don't be ashamed to share your opinions. That's what forums are for And as far as I know, no one bites here 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

July 28, 2014 5:39 pm  #12

Welcome to Sherlock world!

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

July 31, 2014 10:08 pm  #13

Hello and welcome to the forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera